[Eve] Shiror

Shiror

Hello hello,

I've talked with a few of you over the past week and joined the corp this weekend, so for those of you that haven't seen me, HI! I am returning null vet (maybe bitter.. you'll have to decide) who was part of FCON/CFC for a few years. I've been out of EvE for almost a year and a half now, so I've missed all the WWB fun (and propaganda), but have more time to be in space now. While listening to the EvE "celebrities" on comms was entertaining, I kind of got burnt out with the culture of the larger groups and the callousness of most of the leadership. The corp I was in was small and a nice group of people, but it was spread across all timezones which made it hard to interact a lot. Coming back, I was interested in finding a corporation that was 1) conducive to people with real life obligations and 2) was closer to the timezone I was active in. Also, I never consolidated all my assets I left in Branch, so win-win!

I've spent most of my time in null and have lots of experience with alliance/coalition level ops and know how to contribute as a ship of the line or logi in doctrine based fleets. I have two characters, one focused on carriers down to HACs and another that is T2/T3 cruiser-frigate oriented. However, I do really enjoy small-gang activities, I'm just not as experienced in it. I had started doing some combat probing, but I'm probably terrible at it now, and I can dust off a BLOPS if anyone is interested in doing some covops hunting.

As a person, I've been playing EvE since mid 2012. I'm nearing the end of my Ph.D. work in San Diego, so I'm Pacific TZ and am on nights during the week and variable times over the weekend depending on experiments, otherwise I travel once or twice a month to visit my wife who just started med school. I'm 30 years old and an easygoing person who may not talk a lot in a big group, but I'll gladly get involved in a conversation with a few people if I can contribute or if someone has questions for me directly. Outside of EvE, I am a grad student--so not much of a life :) I do, however, have distant memories of getting outside to go for hikes and backpacking or doing trail runs. Oh, and I like photography.

Game-wise, I play Overwatch some (and PS2 before that) but I'm not an amazing FPS gamer, just something for wasting short time periods.

I guess it's time for questions??

Welcome Shiror, glad to have you with us!

Here are my random questions:

1. What kind of photos do you like to take when you get time to do that?
  2. What field is your doctorate in?
  3. What is your favorite Eve Online character race and why is it Amarr?
  4. [Only applicable if you're a poker player] Describe a situation when it would be beneficial to fold pocket Aces pre-flop in a poker game.

7 hours ago, Shiror said:

Game-wise, I play Overwatch some (and PS2 before that) but I'm not an amazing FPS gamer, just something for wasting short time periods.

Hi there! I'm not much of an FPS player either, but I've just gotten REALLY into Titanfall 2. I also played PS2 for a bit, but couldn't get into it - I didn't really have the time necessary back then. I've progressed from 'terrible' to 'slightly below average' and hope one day to achieve 'average' skill levels in FPS, hahaha.

Glad to read about your desire for a well-run, calm corp - that's definitely us. What's nice is that we have our little corner, while still having access to an alliance full of high-quality people, and all the big action the coalition provides.

Question time!

There's a Navy officer that sits 15 feet from me at work, and she gushes about San Diego every time it comes up. Would you describe it as Paradise or does it have flaws?

Your character split is really interesting, usually the annoying drone/jump skills for caps lead to a dedicated cap toon. Was it a conscious decision to train one character into cruiser-down and then another into cruiser-up, or did it just sort of happen?

What's the most embarrassing ship loss you've experienced?

Best of luck to you finishing up your Ph. D.  I'd love to live in San Diego given the weather and the beer; I just need to win the lottery to be able to afford a house.  I imagine on a grad student budget it can be challenging at times.  Welcome back to Eve from another former CFC person.  You've found a great group and I hope to see you in space soon.

On 11/6/2016 at 7:13 PM, Moros Ker said:

Welcome Shiror, glad to have you with us!

Here are my random questions:

1. What kind of photos do you like to take when you get time to do that?
  2. What field is your doctorate in?
  3. What is your favorite Eve Online character race and why is it Amarr?
  4. [Only applicable if you're a poker player] Describe a situation when it would be beneficial to fold pocket Aces pre-flop in a poker game.

1. I like to do street photography walking around in downtown areas looking for interesting perspectives. In the same vein I try to catch some nice shots when getting together with friends and family, usually trying to capture the mood of the moment.

2. I'm studying structural biology, so I primarily use a rather strong electromagnet to determine the 3D structure of proteins. I'm working on a system involved in RNA processing that occurs before RNA is translated into a protein sequence.

3. Ahh, the Amarr... it's the obvious choice I know. I like them for the drama primarily, there was a good fiction series that was based on amarr marines quelling a minmatar uprising that was a good read actually, can't seem to find it now. The only downside is the gaudy ships.

4. Dunno poker that well, but I'd never be able to hide the grin, so I'd probably be better off to fold regardless ;)

On 11/6/2016 at 8:13 PM, Tyrlis said:

There's a Navy officer that sits 15 feet from me at work, and she gushes about San Diego every time it comes up. Would you describe it as Paradise or does it have flaws?

Your character split is really interesting, usually the annoying drone/jump skills for caps lead to a dedicated cap toon. Was it a conscious decision to train one character into cruiser-down and then another into cruiser-up, or did it just sort of happen?

What's the most embarrassing ship loss you've experienced?

So, I'm getting a little jaded with San Diego, but that's primarily because I don't get to enjoy the city so much. I live in a suburb-ish area that doesn't have much for good food or interesting sights, but it's close to work. It's a great place if you value your weekends and like to be out in the sun all the time. Personally though, I still haven't fully adjusted to the lack of seasons though.

Yeah.. the split was kind of planned but kind of impatience. I knew that it didn't make sense to try to roll everything into one character because it would take too long to get into certain things, and it actually works out really well. I found that I could participate in just about every fleet op with the skills I had between the two, and could do some doubling up in fleets from time to time if they were BS doctrines, one would do dps and one would logi, but that was in the days of space potatoes and drone assist--very glad to be done with that.

Worst ship loss is probably a tengu on my original character, first attempt at a superior sleeper cache and it didn't go so well... The fact that I messed it up wasn't so bad, but I had the oddest looking fit. It was a combination of pve exploration and pvp covops hunting that was tanked for ghost sites.

Welcome Shiror!

We had the pleasure of speaking some time ago. I'm glad to see you join us. Structural biology sounds fascinating. What are some of the things that can be derived from the understanding of protein structures? Also RNA processing is truly mystifying. It is probably more complex than DNA transcription and probably plays a larger role than DNA in determining phenotype.

Good luck to your wife going through med school. I hope she didn't take out a bunch of tuition debt for it. I have very poor faith in the efficacy of modern medicine besides trauma, immunization (selected few) and bacterial infections (limited scope).