[EVE] A Beginner's Guide to Plyn

Plyn

Hello @Plyn !

It was nice to get a chance to chat with you last night in game.  As I mentioned, this has been a really terrific intro thread.  I'm amazed at the number of topics you've managed to bond with us on - everything from punk and dive bars to Supernatural and child-rearing.  Most impressive.

We are mostly through your API check - god bless characters that have been out and about for a long time - and I have some initial questions.  I know that we're due for a meet-up in Mumble, but I figured I would put a few out here for the sake of time.

It seems to me that you went dormant a little less than two years ago, in mid 2015.  And you just recently started to play again in the beginning of this year.  Is that right?

If so, I'm curious if you could talk to us about the reasons for you leaving and returning.  What got you re-motivated after all that time?  I'm also curious why the very first thing you did was to join up with Zam Hunter's group.  Could you elaborate on your reasons for joining and for possibly leaving two months later?

Thank you.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ashin the pleasure was mine :)

Going to apologize in advance here, this is going to be a real story-time lol

I started playing again in 2015 when I slipped on some ice and shattered my left elbow (capitulum to be precise.) One of my arms was mostly useless and EVE is a game you can play entirely with your mouse if you're feeling like it. I don't really remember anything about FSI... I think they were a renter group maybe? IIRC my agreement with them was I was just going to login to make wallet tics. I was medicated at the time, not really sure what I'd be capable of in game, and also sort of depressed. I ended up regaining a lot more of my arm than my occupational therapist thought I would.

My partner and I flew out to California for about two weeks to show off the kids to their family that April. My old laptop didn't make nice with EVE, so I was away for that, and not long after we got back myself, the departments I was supporting at the time, and the department I work for now started negotiating my move to my current position. We eventually settled on they would give me x-pay (basically extra hourly pay over top of my normal salary) to come over in the evenings and keep everything running. I was looking at being gone 12 hours a day, and my son was about a year and a half old which is around the time they begin to transition from cute and mostly helpless to fully mobile, accident-prone murderbots. Jesus, thinking back to it that whole time period was kind of crazy.

Anyways, the tl;dr I guess is I just didn't have the time to play I thought I would. I recall joking to some people that EVE is a game where you can't use the restroom in less than two hours.

This past fall I was able to end my obligation to my old departments and, having some more time, started to get back into gaming where I could commit to being around more regularly. Played around with a couple of communities in different games, but nothing really stuck (DayZ RP communities outside of one or two of the largest ones tend to be rather ephemeral.) I started reading through EVE dev-blogs that had come out since I left and sort of fell back down the rabbit hole. I joined the corp recruitment channel and started advertising that I was looking for a WH corp to join, as I had day-tripped before but living in one was one of the few pieces of content I thought was neat but had never gotten to do before, and that's when I hooked up with Zam and 3.14rates.

WH didn't go as planned, I wanna say mostly because the corp was recruiting a lot of newbies who couldn't actually run any of the content. We lived in a C4 w/ C3 C2 static and were constantly getting poor C2 connections to much larger groups. Only a small handful of us had the skills and resources to roll holes, and I was making efforts to generate content for our lower SP people, but it just wasn't a good fit for the size of our corp and the general abilities of a lot of our pilots. I told Zam I was going to leave with a friend of mine to do FW so he could get his feet wet with pvp without breaking the bank, and after Zam called a meeting basically the corp agreed that was a good idea. So, instead of leaving corp, the whole corp left the wormhole. Things haven't improved much, though. We aren't fleeting much, the roaming is kind of meh. We fly over to shoot at Conoco. a bit but I'm just kind of feeling done trying to catch omens in plexes that have 3+ warp core stabs on them. Plexing isn't bad ISK, even in Tier 1, but I'm dying of boredom. Told my friend I wanted to start putting feelers out for a null group to join because the content is better in literally every single way. Annnnd here we are :p

There are some other, cultural things I'm not thrilled about, which I tolerate because it's just sort of the nature of this game, but those are things I'd feel more comfortable discussing off the record. The players in that group are great people and I've really enjoyed flying with them, but the corp itself is kind of dead in the water. I haven't told Zam I'm leaving yet, because I don't want to break the poor guy's heart, nothing's officially official yet, and also letting him talk me into staying the last time I packed up my bags was probably a poor choice.

I leave all the behind the scenes stuff to the experts, so I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your posts.  They are well-written and informative.  You've also brought along a couple of good seeming dudes with you.  I won't ask about culture of previous corps due to the off-record nature, but I do hope you'll find enjoyment in our mature and friendly culture.  Sure, we still shoot people and we have fun doing it, but it is done with a minimum of spite and lots of sportsmanship.  I've always liked how SOHCO goes for the good fights not the easy ones.  I'm looking forward to you being a part of that.  See you in space.  

Thank you for the kind words, @Oshri Paliako. Regardless of how everything works out in the end, I want to say it has been very enjoyable getting to chat with everyone here. When a lot of corps advertise that they have a great community I tend to smirk a little bit and think to myself, "We'll see." It's obvious, both from the process and the involvement of the group as a whole, that this is a group of players with value that extends well beyond what any character may or may not be doing in EVE next week. Normally looking for a group to play with feels a lot like playing Russian roulette; what an incredible stroke of luck to have stumbled in here!

2 minutes ago, Plyn said:

Thank you for the kind words, @Oshri Paliako. Regardless of how everything works out in the end, I want to say it has been very enjoyable getting to chat with everyone here. When a lot of corps advertise that they have a great community I tend to smirk a little bit and think to myself, "We'll see." It's obvious, both from the process and the involvement of the group as a whole, that this is a group of players with value that extends well beyond what any character may or may not be doing in EVE next week. Normally looking for a group to play with feels a lot like playing Russian roulette; what an incredible stroke of luck to have stumbled in here!

I've been here a couple years now and I took a break from EVE during that time but stayed with the guild because of the people.  The Corp/guild is a multi-gaming group and I was able to play with other SoH members in those games. 

3 hours ago, Plyn said:

We need to hire you to write our recruitment pitches!

@Plyn I'll be in game tonight from about 9:30 EDT on (01:30 EVE).  If that's convenient for you, let's plan to have the long-awaited Mumble interview tonight?

@Ashin ^_^ that should work out. I've given up on my ISP and am going to buy a modem after work.

I'm not much of a salesperson and so try to stay away from recruiting (not that I think it even needs selling, with this group) but you can probably count on me for favorable comments!

Good morning!  I've accepted Plyn's app into the corp and bumped up your forum access.  You'll receive a welcome mail in game that will explain the trial period and direct you to our new recruits orientation thread.

Something I forgot to talk to you about last night - we normally ask folks to limit themselves to two characters in the corp, during the trial period only.  If that's an inconvenience, we can talk about making an exception.  But let me know what you think.