Hirab

[EVE] Hirab: the brackets seemed like the thing to do

16 posts in this topic

Hello Folks,

 

Hirab here (Kevin IRL). Wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I am a father of 3 little rugrats (8, 5, 3), 2 of which live with me and my wife near Dallas, TX. My wife and I work together on a small construction company we recently founded.

 

The road to this business was pretty goofy. After high school I waste a couple years being useless as a salesman of different wares. Decided I needed discipline and joined the Air Force as an Arabic Airborne linguist. Spent 10 years in the Air Force, and learned an Ethiopian language called Amharic when I moved over to Specops. I loved flying, it was really a blast. Except when I didn't fly often enough and threw up 6 times on a flight. That part was not fun.

 

Left the Air Force to start a fantasy sports website with an Air Force friend, but didnt raise quite enough money. Changed the business to digital marketing & website design for a couple of years and worked on my MBA. Then junk happened 2 years in a row on my last semester that made me have to withdraw. 2 classes short. But the good news was the second time I dropped it was to form this little construction company, which we LOVE. Anyhow, 107 combat flights, 1100 hours as a crewmember, and the most valuable thing I learned was:

 

I found my love for gaming while learning Arabic in Monterey, CA in 2003. Started with Star Wars Galaxies and became one of the top Bio Engineers on the Lowca server. Moved from that to WoW (vanilla) and back a few times and the tried Eve. It was fun, until I burned myself out on lvl 4 misisons. Then the next time on PVE in Null, then same again next time.

 

Ergo: In my last week of thinking and deep soul searching with regards to Eve, I have realized that what I am really looking for is a gaming community. About a month and a half ago I left a nullsec corp that only ran from every neut because I knew I would get burned out. I wanted to PVP. I went to a PVP corp that was in rental space. I had a ton of fun. But the NC corp (Synda) that was funding it lost funding for the "partner" corp, and they also moved to Ghost Legion. So last weekend I woke up to new CEO, people having left back to Synda and Ghost Legion, others to a WH corp, and not even a corp email saying what was going to happen.

 

I moved all my junk out to be safe, and finally got an email that the corp was closing. So that's where I am!

 

I am looking for a place where I fit in. I'm not really concered about the True Sec or any of that. I have only been in smaller alliances that had no bearing on anything in Eve whatsoever, so I have no ties/enemies anywhere. Looking for a fresh start with good folks, and this group looks like a great one.

 

I look forward to chatting with you all,

Hirab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! Quite the interesting intro. A few questions.

 

1. Favorite taco?

2. Corn or flour tortilla?

3. Which living person would you like to eat a taco with and why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Hirab!  Valence B here.  Thanks for your patience with me over these past few days. :)

 

You have a very interesting background.  What made you decide to learn Arabic, originally - did you learn it while in the Air Force or before?

2 classes short of the MBA - damn, that must have stung.  But I'm glad to hear that it all worked out for the best.

 

I haven't gotten a chance to check your API's yet, but I will do so today for sure.  The only thing that kind of confused me on the surface is that it seems like you have been playing EVE for a really long time, but when we spoke it sounded like you hadn't really gotten to PVP much?  Why didn't you join a PVP oriented group at some point in your past?

 

The fact that what you want in EVE now is a community means you have come to a good place. 

 

1 hour ago, Hirab said:

I am looking for a place where I fit in.

 

Tell me what that place looks like, to you?  What are the two or three most important characteristics your gaming community needs in order to feel like home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you still out in the west coast?  Most of the members here are all east coasters but there are a few, like me in central and western time zones.  What's your play time like?

 

As to other questions, what's your favorite drink?  What do you like to do for fun outside of gaming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hirab said:

Started with Star Wars Galaxies

 

Yessss

 

Good times, good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there Hirab! Glad to see you decided to put in an app.

 

Susitna, who posted just yesterday, was also in the USAF, though he's retired now. I'm active duty Army, doing the rough equivalent of a Chair Force 1N4/1N5. I keep hoping to get stationed at Monterey as a DLI platoon sergeant or something, I've been all over the country except the west coast. That place has a reputation for turning students into nerds, LARPing is a common thread in a lot of the jokes made about linguists. :)

 

You sound like a hell of an entrepreneur, which will do you well out in null sec. We have one of the best markets in null sec in our alliance staging., and there's lot of space for an enterprising marketeer to make a profit (if that's your thing).

 

Lastly, when I was playing SWG I spent a lot of time searching for and harvesting high-quality materials for bio engineers. I don't remember what server I was on, but I definitely remember the time I soloed a krayt dragon and had the mats turned into a rifle. :soldier:

 

Random question time!

 

Finish the joke: "An Army Ranger, a Navy SEAL, a USAF Spec Ops linguist, and a Marine Gunnery Sergeant walk into a bar. The bartender says...?"

 

Was your fantasy sports website for any specific sport, and will you be the commissioner for our South of Heaven fantasy football league this year?

 

In-game, what's your favorite ship and why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oshri Paliako said:

Welcome! Quite the interesting intro. A few questions.

 

1. Favorite taco?

2. Corn or flour tortilla?

3. Which living person would you like to eat a taco with and why?

1. I like the shrimp taco from Fuzzys pretty well, although the democrat and the republican are good combos from torchys 😀

 

2. I wanted to explain when I prefer flour, but I realized I just like corn now lol

 

3. Living person would be a tie. My wife and my sister are my two favorite people, so I'd eat with both of them (although my sister would get a hippie vegetarian one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ashin said:

Hey Hirab!  Valence B here.  Thanks for your patience with me over these past few days. :) - hey no worries, I know we're all busy IRL!

 

You have a very interesting background.  What made you decide to learn Arabic, originally - did you learn it while in the Air Force or before?

hey no worries, I know we're all busy IRL!

 

i originally wanted Arabic because I thought it was a cool area seeing how Christ was from hat area etc, and they wouldn't let me learn Hebrew 😂 

 

I learned in the Air Force in 63 weeks and then stayed a little longer because I had a surgery on my foot and I taught brand new folks basic stuff to help the pass/fail rate

 

7 hours ago, Ashin said:

 

2 classes short of the MBA - damn, that must have stung.  But I'm glad to hear that it all worked out for the best.

 

  The only thing that kind of confused me on the surface is that it seems like you have been playing EVE for a really long time, but when we spoke it sounded like you hadn't really gotten to PVP much?  Why didn't you join a PVP oriented group at some point in your past?

 

Tell me what that place looks like, to you?  What are the two or three most important characteristics your gaming community needs in order to feel like home?

Lol honestly I don't care about the MBA. Only did it to get more consulting jobs, well and I like to learn. Cool thing about grad school is you do your own research and learn what you want kinda, so I liked it. I might finish, but who knows?!

 

I didn't understand PVP. It was rare that friends played with me. I got deployed in the middle of some play runs, which hurt. I always thought I needed tons of ISK to PVP, so I would set some goal and grind til I got bored, and burn out before I reached my goal lol.

 

this time I came back, got tired of PVE and said "eff it, I'm going to PVP" and basically barely tatted for the last couple of months. 

 

I have been a game switcher in the past, so an good fit to me means that I have skills and personality that fit the thrust of the group. Then I want to actually enjoy batting when I am on, so it's not just an ISK grind.

 

also need a place that understands family, because I've got little kids and a younger wife (trophy time) and I gotta appease all of them 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scynner said:

Are you still out in the west coast?  Most of the members here are all east coasters but there are a few, like me in central and western time zones.  What's your play time like?

 

As to other questions, what's your favorite drink?  What do you like to do for fun outside of gaming?

I'm actually CST now, and I can usually dedicate time around 0100-0500 somewhere in there to play. Lately with my corp search I've been playing more and moving junk around to get ready. Weekends it's more flexible, so CtA and all that is easy for me on weekends.

 

hmm favorite drink is probably Yoo-hoo. Used to be Chocolate Soldier, but never see that now. For alcohol, White Russian or something with Godiva chocolate liquor. 

 

For fun my wife and I watch probably 50% of every movie that comes out in theaters. Doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm including Indy films lol. We also camp with the kids a bit, and we do Crossfit together when we aren't working too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tyrlis said:

Hey there Hirab! Glad to see you decided to put in an app.

 

Susitna, who posted just yesterday, was also in the USAF, though he's retired now. I'm active duty Army, doing the rough equivalent of a Chair Force 1N4/1N5. I keep hoping to get stationed at Monterey as a DLI platoon sergeant or something, I've been all over the country except the west coast. That place has a reputation for turning students into nerds, LARPing is a common thread in a lot of the jokes made about linguists. :)

 

You sound like a hell of an entrepreneur, which will do you well out in null sec. We have one of the best markets in null sec in our alliance staging., and there's lot of space for an enterprising marketeer to make a profit (if that's your thing).

 

Lastly, when I was playing SWG I spent a lot of time searching for and harvesting high-quality materials for bio engineers. I don't remember what server I was on, but I definitely remember the time I soloed a krayt dragon and had the mats turned into a rifle. :soldier:

 

Random question time!

 

Finish the joke: "An Army Ranger, a Navy SEAL, a USAF Spec Ops linguist, and a Marine Gunnery Sergeant walk into a bar. The bartender says...?"

 

Was your fantasy sports website for any specific sport, and will you be the commissioner for our South of Heaven fantasy football league this year?

 

In-game, what's your favorite ship and why?

Ahh nice I've had some really good analysts and some eye rollers. Lol. Monterey is freaking awesome, I hope you get it. And yeah, most linguist jokes are accurate. There's only a few of us that are socially normal and have skills other than language. I'm sure you've seen the wall huggers in your time.

 

SWG was so awesome. Yeah Krayt rifles were pretty awesome. I had a BH bazaar and a bio engineering business. Man it was fun.

 

Hey Gunny, what can I get for you and your girlfriends?

 

our fantasy sports site was football, basketball, baseball, with golf to be added after about 6 months. We invented a new form of fantasy that was a mixture of over/under betting and fantasy. We basically brought lines into the fantasy part. We had a patent pending, but our major finder dropped out lol.

 

honestly my partner was the master fantasy sports player, but I'd still be commissioner 😂

 

My my favorite ship...I really like sabres. The CC component is what I love about it. It's also versatile depending. It's won't solo and active tank Ishtar that's not AFK though, you can check my KB from this morning early for proof of that 💩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.