WoW Application - Bublé Protection Paladin

Bullnugget

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up Bub,

Welcome to the boards and thanks for the app.

Here we go.

What's you favorite fight to tank in the current content/what fight do you think Prot Pals really shine? (pun intended)

What's a spell/ability you would add to the arsenal to be a more effective tank.

Why did you choose your gearing strategy? (hit/expertise capped, mastery stack)

Curious about your talent choices Holy Avenger and Holy Prism. Why ddi you choose these and how do you use them? Do you ever swap if so why/when?

What tools do you use to track the uptime and coold downs of your CDs/procs?

I'll have to do some further digging but at a glance I'm not seeing you using Sacred Shield. This has to be an oversight on my part. Right?

<3

Hip

Hey Chainsaw,

My favorite tank fight at the moment is Will of the Emperor because it reminds me the most of dancing engulfing flames from Heroic Rag, and I love fights that constantly keep a tank on their toes. I think prot pallies at the moment really shine on Gara'jal because of our ability to mitigate heavy amounts of physical dmg and on fights like Feng and Kings where our Devo Aura and Potential BoP's really provide a lot of potential for freeing up raid cooldowns. As well as WoG for spike self healing to free up mana from healers.

1st Ability I add is WoG, I constantly am looking for raid members that are low HP and if I am at a safe health I'll throw WoG's their way to save the healers mana. 2nd is Devo Aura, its the most clutch magic dmg cooldown for intense magic aoe in the game (imo). and lastly SoTR uptime, the amound of physical dmg it mitigates saves more healer mana than any other tank ability besides Blood DK shield.

I chose Hit/Exp cap because of Threat Gen, Dmg increase from not getting alot of misses/dodge& parries, and the most important is the more I hit and not get avoided the more uptime I have on SoTR which in turn leads to more healer mana saved. As far as Mastery Stacking, currently yes Haste is more important than mastery as the haste reduces more cooldowns, and gets me more holy power faster, which further increases my SoTR uptime, however I would like to get to around 4% haste as im currently around 1.5% haste but I haven't been lucky enough to get the pieces to help provide that haste and reforging into it would have to tap into my hit and expertise which I am unwilling to sacrafice at the current gear set.

Holy Avenger I believe is the best talent in that tier as provides a unbelievable amount of burst dps/threat when needed and provides me with 100% uptime on SoTR when popped for Will of Emp outside of the combo. I was using Holy Prism last night on feng because healing was a serious issue for us last night so I was testing it out to see how much it would help. I switch that talent out per fight, for Ex, Will I use execution sentence because I don't have enough in melee range to make Prism Viable, for heavy stacked fights in melee range I will also use Lights hammer to help with heavy AoE dmg phases. When I use Holy prism, I bind it to SoTR so I ensure that it goes off every 20 seconds on the dot, same with execution sentence I often bind it to My SoTR as well to make a stress free way of ensuring it goess off on CD with no loss of downtime. Lights Hammer I use seperately on a different bind for AoE dmg phases.

I use OmniCC for cooldown timers and Mik's Battle Text sound alerts me with an icon for every Major CD that falls off CD. Boss Timers I have DBM boss timers easily viewable for callouts and preparing for all incoming abilities.

With Sacred Shield, many prot pallies view it as a pathetic talent tier, and since it uses a whole GCD it is very spotty of when I'll use it. Yes I agree I could definitely be using it more on myself or others, but I often have to weigh it vs other abilities I have waiting off cooldown and if another ability is higher in the priority for that GCD unfortunately sometimes Sacred Shield is left out. But once again its definitely something I need to work on fitting in more.

I'd like you to take a look at Hip's healing done on Stone Guard 25H last night -- and compare it to your own for the same night, same fight.

Hip does tank two dogs, but that only accounts for about 15% extra damage (the rend flesh debuff is the large majority of damage on that fight, and all 3 tanks get it)

http://www.worldoflo.../?s=3943&e=4274 <-- click healing by spell tab

Being that it not only outperforms Seal of Insight, but that its healing is also ABSORBS (ie damage prevention rather than recovery), I can't see how any self respecting prot paladin could consider it useless. It's one GCD every 30 seconds (the shield refreshes itself every 6 seconds during its duration)

Edited by Luc

Yea, I ran the numbers on it:

H Stone Guard (6:12)

DamTaken: Bublé 35734672

HealDoneToSelf: Bublé 6405104

-------------------------------------------------

29329568 / 372 = 78,842 damage taken /sec.

H Stone Guard (5:31)

DamTaken: Hiptoss 30236406

HealDoneToSelf: Hiptoss 11982258

-------------------------------------------------

18254148 / 331secs = 55,148 damage taken / sec.

Plus Word of Glory's cost Holy Power, which is much better utilized for your SoTR active mitigations.

Well Bubble we're at a bit of a crossroads here. I definitely appreciate the time you've put into your app. But I'm sure you can understand why we'd be a little uncomfortable now. Particularly in a 25m (but even when I lead 10m's) I can't afford to second guess each raider's theorycraft. I have to choose people for the team that I can trust to understand their own role. While I'm not accusing you of being a bad player, it's troubling to me that something so signficant was overlooked and that your reason is simply that people said it was bad during beta. I don't say that to be rude but just to be candid.

I've set you up with Guest access and you can certainly feel free to add my battletag (ashin#1840) or follow-up here as you wish.

Yes I definitely agree Sacred Shield was an oversight and should have been something that I should have tested no matter the opinions of others during beta. I underestimated Sacred Shields utility, which was definitely a mistake on my part, but I'm not one to make a mistake and then repeat it. That oversight was my mistake, and I will learn from that which will do nothing but further improve my performance.