Thwackdaddy Prot Pally- Shadowsong

Thwackdaddy

Greetings all. I am Thwackdaddy, but you can call me Matt. I am a Protection Paladin currently residing on the Shadowsong realm. I am applying to South of Heaven to hit things with my hammer/sword/axe, and have the bosses hit me back. It is really rather masochistic.

Some brief history:

I have been raiding since classic WoW at a high level. In Classic I raided on my priest as a healer and my mage as a DPS, we made it to kel’thuzad, but did not achieve a kill.

Once TBC was released, I ran my own guild and finished 3rd on my server (Scarlett Crusade) at the time. I played Prot on Thwack, and my priest as holy. The progression killed Illidan (pre-nerf) and made it to Mu’ru but did not achieve a kill.

In WoTLK I focused on my paladin as my main more firmly, I was mainly holy in wrath. I raided with my guild until the release of ICC. Then my daughter was born and I no longer had time to be GM. It was during this period I moved to Gilneas to raid with a top 200 guild. I did all of ICC25 heroic with the exception of a Heroic Lich king and heroic Professor Putricide kill. I was there however, for several weeks of LK progression.

I quit just before the release of Ruby Sanctum to focus on finishing school and finding a job.

Now I am back and ready to raid (with a degree in Computer Science and a job, hooray.) I am choosing to main-set as prot currently because I like being in the driver’s seat with mobs and positioning, and I wanted a different challenge other than healing. Although, I am more than willing to heal again.

Here is my advanced armory link:

http://us.battle.net...kdaddy/advanced

I am currently gemmed/reforged/enchanted to make a smoother damage curve, as spiky damage tends to kill tanks. I am at the exp hard cap, and I am capped on hit. This helps generate holy power faster, thus enabling a higher Shield of the righteous uptime, and reducing overall damage taken. My next focus will be mastery to improve my DR from Shield of the Righteous.

Here is my in-combat UI. For some reason Mik’s Scrolling combat text is not showing up today, probably due to the patch. I use ElvUI for most of the rest of the UI elements. I use DBM for my bossmod, and Weak Auras for the buttons you see under my character. For healing I use Clique along with the ElvUI raid frames, though I have used grid and VuhDo in the past for healing. YAEVr.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and thanks for taking the time to put in an application. Can I ask - what caught your eye about our guild in particular? Also, what has been your raiding situation so far in Mists?

Also, before we go further, have you seen our raid schedule and can your commit to ~99% attendance? We maintain a small bench and so, particularly for tanks, attendance and reliability are chief concerns.

Cheers.

What caught my eye was the laid back atmosphere present around your boards, the raid times, and the general feel I got after poking around your site. So far in mists I am raiding with a small guild in 10 mans and raid finder. We have yet to step into heroics. I can commit to 99% attendance, with a VERY occasional miss on Thursdays if I have a late flight, but I would have several days notice of that (I travel A LOT for work, so I maintain an extra wireless internet connection that is not dependent on hotels for reasonable internet.)

Hey there, Hotstepper!

In addition to Ashin's inquiries, you also mention you like driving and I'll infer control -- are you OK with following raid lead strats and decisions? Or, do you feel all F. Durst -- it's the tank's way or the highway?

Thanks for dropping by and posting!

@Inedit thanks for your question, I simply like being the one who executes the boss positioning. I am fine with taking directions etc, I'm done with guild leadership, I don't have the time. @Negido thank you for taking the time to read my application. I have my pessimistic days. However for the most part, I try to be optimistic. Of course, that doesn't always work. Though, I have always wondered why no one cares about the state of the air in the glass (assuming the water is not in vacuum.)

what's up Matt, welcome to the boards.

Have you played with/considered going with a bit of haste and dropping some other secondaries? I'm running Prot Pally as main and have been shifting some state around to see what works best for me. Curious to hear your take on it.

Why hand of Purity?

Have you considered other trinkets? Stam/dodge trinkets could be replaced with other secondary stat trinks allowing your gemming/reforging to open up a bit more. http://www.wowhead.com/item=81268 is a nice trink you can easily farm without needing a deep progression environment.

What are your overall thoughts on Prot Pally in MoP, how do you like the play style? Where is it strong? Where is it weak?

Have any logs?

Thanks again and catch you later.

<3

Hip