Thwackdaddy Prot Pally- Shadowsong

Thwackdaddy

what's up Matt, welcome to the boards.

Have you played with/considered going with a bit of haste and dropping some other secondaries? I'm running Prot Pally as main and have been shifting some state around to see what works best for me. Curious to hear your take on it.

Why hand of Purity?

Have you considered other trinkets? Stam/dodge trinkets could be replaced with other secondary stat trinks allowing your gemming/reforging to open up a bit more. http://www.wowhead.com/item=81268 is a nice trink you can easily farm without needing a deep progression environment.

What are your overall thoughts on Prot Pally in MoP, how do you like the play style? Where is it strong? Where is it weak?

Have any logs?

Thanks again and catch you later.

<3

Hip

I’ll take each of these in turn:

On Haste:

Haste vs mastery is essentially an equivalency. Mastery increases the amount of damage reduction I have, and from what I have seen, is awesome for tank swaps, while haste significantly increases my DPS. Currently, I am focusing on reducing my overall damage taken. For me this is my #1 job aside from holding threat. Admittedly, they do an equally good job of smoothing out the damage curve over time. However, with the focus on tank swaps I have seen in this expac (elegon, feng, shek’zeer.) Mastery wins out for me.

Hand of Purity:

I chose hand of purity to help reduce DoT damage on fights like Feng. I switch it around often for Unbreakable spirit to have CD’s ready more often.

Trinkets:

I have been running Scholo every day for the last 3 and a half weeks, and it has yet to drop.

On Prot Pallies:

I love the new Prot Pally play style. I’m really glad 96969 is gone in favor of a more prioritization based system. I personally think Prot Paladins are better than ever in this expac, and excel EXTREMELY well at smoothing damage curves, and choosing good times to take damage, and good times to take small amounts of damage (storing 5 holy power before a Titan Gas is a great example) and helping the raid overall with CD’s like Devotion Aura, and the hands (admittedly, those have always been good.) We also have a great ability to pick up adds and do AoE tanking like never before. For weaknesses, early threat can sometimes be an issue if I don’t pop wings and holy avenger at the start of a fight to build fast threat.

Logs:

I do not currently have any logs. I could obtain some during my LFR in HoF/Terrace this week, or in an MSV I am doing tonight.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to raid at a high level in MoP, so my opinion is LIKELY incorrect. However that said, I consistently hold almost all the targets in AoE pulls in the raids I have been in. I do not think I do anything different than most prot pallies, at least no different from the theorycrafter over on Elitist Jerks. (Also, hurray for http://www.wowhead.com/item=81268 dropping finally)