Zínn - Protection Paladin application

DanishDynamite

I only switch "a lot" when needed. (I.e Alliance to horde to play with my brother.) Other than that I tend to stay in guilds for a while if I can (Don't like drama, so I left CdG with everyone else.) If I still lived in Denmark, I would still be in Northern Expedition, but an 8 hour time zone difference makes raid availability hard. Note I have stayed with BG for most of Cata and all of MoP so far. But since most of the core raid from Cata left or quit, it just doesn't feel the same.

Haste is a new thing I'm trying. I haven't actually had much raid time with the build so I'm still in the "try-out" phase with it, but I've only heard good things. Our 10 man has rather low DPS over all, so I need the haste to pump out a little more damage. I did mastery in the beginning, but with us doing normal modes mainly, I've taken this chance to try out the haste build.

I don't switch out many talents for fights. On normal it's never much of a requirement. But when needed I will. Tomes aren't expensive :)

In general on CDs, I tend to try and take more damage in normals (Since they don't do that much damage) and we do have amazing healers, so the extra vengeance helps with our lacking DPS. This will improve.

Sacred Shield needs a better up-time, I agree. But again, doing normals and having amazing healers, I tend to let myself take a little extra damage to build more vengeance, for a slight damage boost. This will be improved when I start dedicated HMs. I'd also like to note that I'd be using Eternal Flame more in 5.2 since it will be getting a huge boost. If the haste build works out, I should be able to have stable Eternal Flame up-time and still maintain a good Righteous Shield up-time as well.

I don't use any addons or tackers for CD's. I currently feel very comfortable with my UI, and I'm always aware when my CD's are ready, and for what situations. If a tracker is required, I will get one.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vengeance builds through absorbs, blocks and dodges based on the damage you would have taken (and thank god they finally caved on dodge), but you are correct that using GoAK or Divine Prot will nerf the vengeance you get. If the only thing holding you back is DPS then you might as well tweak your settings a bit! ;)

And hi :op

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm curious to get your feedback on haste stacking vs. your old way of mastery. I'm just dipping my toes into haste as my mastery is getting a bit over the top. Curious if there's a balance to be found.

I would strongly encourage the use of a Power Aura/Weak Aura/ Class Timer/ something to track your uptime on various spells and ensuring the damage reduction is up at the time you want it rather than relying on the standard UI buffs or giving it a best guess.

Also, there are times when I find Stay/Execution Sentence is superior to Hammer, and Clemency over Unbreakable, etc. Also, I dont think you'd get too much benefit from the Holy Wrath glyph in this tier.

Overall though things look good. You've already talked with Ashin? Have you done anything official yet? With the holiday things might be a bit slower than normal but I'd be curious to see your app take the next step.

thanks again

I'll get on getting a addon right away for CD's and get accustomed to it.

I'll also change my glyph. I only had it to make Elegon easier (Does wonders on them elementals), and I'll change spec as needed for encounters.

I never had much use for Clemency since we are running with two Paladins in our 10 man, but again, if needed I will change it to benefit the encounter(s).

I prefer haste to generate holy power ASAP. I like having a Shield of the Righteous up constantly (even if it is lower damage reduction) than to have intervals where it can spike (even if the intervals are few and far between). A constant 30% (40% with 4 piece bonus) constantly is better than 35% (45%) most of the time. Haste will also do wonders for spells such as Consecration and Eternal Flame and it stacks with the spell haste given from Seal of Insight (The extra melee haste adds more procs as well). Also as my gear stands (And gear in general in this tier), you need a lot of mastery for it to be worth purely stacking it (Not to mention giving up on a hard cap expertise). If I was to reforge and re-gem my current gear, I could get another 2-3% mastery, maybe 5-6% with removing expertise hard cap, at the expense of most of my haste.

I like my abilities are available more often (Esp. for the "Oh ****!" moments) which haste gives me.

I've talked to Ashin before, but most is repeated here in application. I haven't done anything official (I don't think I have anyways), but I'm interested in proceeding to the next step as well.

Hi again! I'm back from my familly travels, and ready to pick up where we left off. It seems that Huntyre and Opal have asked all of the important questions already.

We can talk in game, but I want to get a few points out of the way on the "public record".

First, I'm concerned that you weren't aware of the change to how vengeance works. I understand the whole bit about "I don't take much damage in 10m normals and our team needs more DPS" - tank DPS is actually significant now (especially in 10m's, I'd imagine). But as a main tank for my team I would expect you to live and breath tank mechanics. It is uncomfortable to me that you wouldn't be intimately fimiliar with each and every word that comes out of ghostcrawlers mouth regarding a mechanic like vengeance.

Second, I'm also a little concerned about the whole "it's 10m normal so I can be crazy" mindset. I trust that you're correct and that you aren't in any way jeopardizing your team's 10m normal progression. But don't you think those are bad habits to build, especially if you are looking to step up to something more serious?

Lastly, the response to Hip's question about glyph swapping. I don't think he was asking whether you are willing to swap glyphs - I should definitely hope we all are! Rather, the pupose of that question is to get a sense of how fastidious you are about min/maxing your performance on each fight, and to a lesser extent how well you understand the benefit that each choice can provide.

I realize my response sounds like I am slamming you. Hip is interested in seeing your app move forward, so that means I am as well. But these are concerns on my mind, so I'd appreciate if you could address them. I'd also like to set up a time for the three of us to talk in mumble.

Cheers.