Zínn - Protection Paladin application

DanishDynamite

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a whiskey boy - currently into rye whiskey. My favorite so far has been an 18-year Sazerac, but that's a bit spendy.

I've not heard of Kilkenny - will have to see if they have it at the wine and beer store.

Which Vodka? Which Tequila? (These are important questions and could determine the fate of your application here.)

wahts up Zinn

Welcome back to the forums and to you app.

Thanks for providing additional logs and I have some thoughts/questions.

First, the good. You seem to do a good job on avoiding random/avoidable damage. You're not standing in stuff, or getting hit by attenuation discs, etc. It shows good raid awareness and knowledge of fights. Nice job.

Now the bad. I'm concerned about your CD usage. Across fights its fairly low. You could be getting at least 1-3 more uses of your CDs on each fight. Divine protection use is pretty low across fights. Maybe your defensive CD use is low because of the fights you're doing and not feeling you're in danger of dying. But you've said you like to pump out the DPS and your "offensive" CD use was low as well, you could easily get 1-3 more Avenging Wrath/Holy Avenger uses as well. (yes these can/are be defensive CDs as well, but you get the point). Also I'm seeing virtually no use of your tier 6 talents, like zero use on Elegon and Will. What can you do to get more CD use in, particularly in 25 HM progression.

Lastly the ugly (kind of running with a theme here) you'r Sacred Shield use is still really low, anywhere from 38-68% uptime. Sacred Shield now (and possibly/probably Eternal Flame) is the core of our defense. This has to improve. How can you address this?

To recap. Overall I'd say you've got a lot going for you with your app. But there are some concerns I need you to address. I'd like you to be thorough with your answers, if you feel like you're overkilling this answer you're probably on track.

1 Overall CD usage

2 Particularly Sacred Shield uptime, and what have you done to address this since your previous app cycle and what can you do to take it to the next level now.

3 Talent and glyph changes appropriate for various encounters, give me two examples of changes and why

4 You're under expertise hardcap, why?

thanks again and I look forward to your responses.

1 Overall CD usage

I tend to use my CD's based on when the situation calls. I don't use my CD's as soon as they are off CD. I don't glyph for Divine Protection on fights where I know phases will do magic damage to mitigate that more. I will improve glyphing for it come 5.2, since as it stands on the PTR, it will be great for the next tier bonus. I will work on using my CD's more, but I always tend to save them for situations in an encounter, where I know I'm will get hit hard (Second debuff stack on Bladelord, Thrash from Sha of Fear and Breath on Elegon etc.).

2 Particularly Sacred Shield uptime, and what have you done to address this since your previous app cycle and what can you do to take it to the next level now.

I can answer this best with two answers.

1. Power Auras Classic. I've been starting to use this ever since you recommended it. It has been a great help to me, not just for sacred shield, but all my important buffs. It has made me much more aware of Sacred Shield. This will also be a great aid for when Eternal Flame comes into play.

2. I feel my up-time is much higher than that. I know I don't cast it on myself when I'm not tanking, in which case it goes to the other tank. No need for me to have it when I'm not taking any, if not very little, damage. I don't know if that has any effect on the up-time in the logs.

3 Talent and glyph changes appropriate for various encounters, give me two examples of changes and why

I always glyph Alabaster shield and Battle Healer. They are just always nice to have.

Elegon I like to use Light's hammer for AoE healing (Be it the range group or melee) during Total Annihilation. I prefer glyphing Holy wrath as my third glyph for the stun on elemental adds.

Sha of Fear I prefer to use Execution Sentence for self healing and I glyph Divine Protection for my third glyph. It helps mitigate the physical damage.

For fights with Magic damage phases, (Feng and Lei Shi mainly) I glyph for Avenging Wrath for extra healing. Having Divine Protection mitigate magic damage is nice.

4 You're under expertise hardcap, why?

Experimentation. I wanted to see if I could gain more haste if my cap was just 1-1.5% under cap. But while I'm not having any issues with self healing and threat, missing 2.5-4% of my Crusader Strikes, Melee hits and Shield of Righteous attacks, I could do more. I'm back to expertise hard cap.

I hope that answered it all up.

Edited by DanishDynamite

Zinn,

Looks like you are the last man standing, with regards to our prot paladin applicants. I like your personality from what I saw briefly in Mumble. But at the same time, out of the applicants we've considered, you make the least use of your cooldowns and your class. Your answer seems to be "I don't need to use them for what I'm doing right now", and I understand that. But you would need to significantly step up your game simply to survive the kind of punishment that 25 HM dishes out. It is significantly rougher on the tank than anything else in the game.

So, part of me wants to give you a shot, but part of me is concerned that you will have trouble adapting or that you haven't built the right habits / discipline.

What do you think?