Durlroz

Personal Information

Name: Connor

Email: durlroz@yahoo.ca

Character Information

Character Name: Durlroz

Class: Warrior

Spec: Prot/ Dps

WoW Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Durlroz/advanced

WoL: http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/147961/

UI: http://imgur.com/DrsqAEP

Computer specs:

CPU: i7-2600 3.4ghz

RAM: 8gb

GPU: EVGA geforce 670 Ti

and I Have WoW on a 120gb ssd

Latency: 90-100 on Tichondrius...its a west coast server...

FPS:80-100 depending on zone and what else I have open on my pc (2 monitors best thing ever <3)

Brief history of my previous raiding experience:

Played fairly casual at the end of BC and through Wrath as I was trying to finish highschool on a good note. Started playing a little more seriously once I started college and have been since. In the last 2 years of playing I have cleared 4/13hm t11 (went back for the clear), 6/7hm t12 pre nerf (went back for H Rag and the mount :3), 8/8hm t13 at 10% and more recently 16/16hm? (15/16hm) t14 all 3 cutting edge feats.

Previous guilds and reasons for leaving.

Through Cata I was in 2 major guilds the first being Continuum on Ysera which I raided with for most of t11 until I took some time away from raiding in order to finish highschool on a high note. The second guild was Perfect Attendance on Kel'Thuzad where I raided t12, 13 and majority of t14 . Towards the end of t14 PA had started drifting apart due to divided focus some players want to be raiding more an pushing the content at a fast pace (me being on of these people) and the others want to be raiding as little as possible. I was picked up by Carebears Dont Care on Tichondrius for the ladder part of t15 after killing Hm Sha the officers of the guild, 5 friends, decided to leave an join Nurfed as they would rather raid 25 an on a little schedule. Instead of recruiting and changing our schedule their fix was to drop everything an move :(

ME! :3

Outside of the same I'm a student going to college in Ontario studying Computer Systems Technology, I play soccer an squash mostly cause that's what i grew up with haha and try to stay health despite playing this game way to much for my own good also I'm single ladies ;). Inside the game I tend to be a very easy going person, I can take criticism when is have merit to it, if and when I mess up a mechanic of a given fight it usually does not happen again. I listen to given instructions well, I am always prepared for the raid both with flasks n pots etc but I also research the fight(s) for mechanics but also what can my class specificly do to make things easier. Lastly I have been told that I am able to get along with just about anyone (no not from my parents :3 but from past and present guildies).

For any references of my ability as a player or lack there of feel free to contact Salameth, Scarlynn, Sebin or Puddi on Tichondrius they are the former leaders of Carebears Dont Care.

Finally I will make sure to keep on eye here to promptly answer any questions :)

Nice to see your app Durl. :)

Can you clarify whether you did T12 and T13 as prot? Were the two major guilds you mentioned 10m or 25m?

Any concerns about college and sports interfering with our raid schedule? How will you handle conflicts?

Do you like run-on sentences? (trick question)

I like your recent raid experience for sure. Why prot warrior? Why undead? Tell me what prot warriors do that other tanks can't do better, and tell me where you've run into some weaknesses with the class.

Why South of Heaven - what caught your eye?

Hi there :)

I'm going to leave your logs and armory and such to our tank who is more of an expert on prot warriors.

My first reaction to your app was that if we do end up tanking together at some point the difference between "Dar" and "Durl" could be pretty slim at raid time >.> I hope you don't sound like me!

More on topic..... I'm interested to know if you've played any other tanking classes extensively, and if so what you think of the differences. When I check the 25H raidbots stats it really looks like warriors have the lion's share in regard to overall representation among tanks--which isn't too much of a surprise given how well they handle the current content--with bears and particularly brewmasters appearing largely to ride the pine.

Can you clarify whether you did T12 and T13 as prot? Were the two major guilds you mentioned 10m or 25m?

I Have always played prot on my warrior an not never thought of giving it up and Continuum was 25m, Perfeect Attendance and Carebear Dont Care both 10m

Any concerns about college and sports interfering with our raid schedule? How will you handle conflicts?

There shouldn't be any problems raids start late enough that even I where to have some else to do that day I would still be able to make raid.

Do you like run-on sentences?

Yes I love them English on the other hand not a fan of it.

I like your recent raid experience for sure. Why prot warrior? Why undead? Tell me what prot warriors do that other tanks can't do better, and tell me where you've run into some weaknesses with the class.

Started playing in BC as a warrior an never really looked back. Since then I have also leveled an played all the other tanking class an I just like the play style of the warrior the best, however I am really enjoying the monk as I find the two very similar. i started tanking because among the friends that I played with at the time none of us tanked an it made pugging/ running 5 mans much quicker and I just never really did anything else since then. As to my race before I was in Carebears Dont Care I was alli as a Nelf for the 2% miss/dodge an upon changing to horde the undead passive heal seemed to be the best option for tanking. I find that in the past warrior were one of if not he strongest tank for passive damage mitigation and their weakness was to high magic damage fights which was their problem with Dragon Soul. However with MoP through shield barrier the worst problem with warriors has been fixed to a degree, also having Last Stand an Rallying Cry on separate cooldowns is a much loved change.

Why South of Heaven - what caught your eye?

Well I as contacted on Wowprogress when I was looking for a guild after Perfect Attendance but also after I had already transfers to Tichondrius to raid with Carebears Dont Care. So I shot the person who contacted me a message asking if you were still seeking out a warrior tank and here we are :)

With regards to your questions Darlantan, I have played all the other tanking classes only I have not leveled my pally to 90 just yet as its probably my least favourite. I have have my warrior at 504ilvl, monk an dk in the 475ilvl ball pack, and a druid that's 450~. I'm hoping to find a pug raid for my monk/ dk or both haha. Also people usually call me "Durlz" rather then just "Durl".

More run-on sentences?!

Whats up Durlz,

Welcome to the boards and thanks for the app.

Your character sheet all seems to be in line at first glance, gearing/gemming/enchants etc. I will dive in to your logs at some point here soon, and will get back to you on that.

Do you like run-on sentences?

Yes I love them English on the other hand not a fan of it.

I think your distaste for the english language is really coming through in your app. It's a bit brutal at times.

With regards to your questions Darlantan, I have played all the other tanking classes only I have not leveled my pally to 90 just yet as its probably my least favourite. I have have my warrior at 504ilvl, monk an dk in the 475ilvl ball pack, and a druid that's 450~. I'm hoping to find a pug raid for my monk/ dk or both haha. Also people usually call me "Durlz" rather then just "Durl".

I like to see tanks that really dive in to all the tanking classes. I think it helps them undertand the role more fully, as well as understand who they're tanking with and what that other person brings to the table.

I tried to be a prot pally for this expansion and hear you on this one, Prot Pally wasn't my cup of tea.

Thanks again for the app, and I'll be back soon.

Hip

What up Durlz,

I like your UI; nice and clean with ample information on your buffs/CD uptimes. I find that’s an important thing that too many tanks fail to track. I’m not a huge fan of that CD icon right over top of your character model, that would be distracting to me for sure.

What I didn’t see was a method for tracking threat, what are you using to track multi-target threat?

Also, are you using any add-on to help you with decisions between using SBar or SBlk (something that would predict the value of your next bubble from SBar or a Vengeance tracker)?

Why no H Tsu Long kill? I see your guild has saved Tsu Long as recently as this past Tuesday 2/19 (even 1 shot it) and another win on 2/5, why weren’t you in on those fights? It looks like you were sat for an extra DPS?

HM Stone Guards, 2/19, fight lasted 3:17

I like using this fight for tanks that are deep in progression. You’ve downed this boss 15 times on HM, what I’m looking for is complacency.

I can prove a Rage income of 1160 (Shield Slam 575,Revenge 465, Enrage 110, 10 Berserker Rage)

18 SBar casts (average bubble of 227553.3, very nice) would have cost you a maximum of 1080 Rage. You also spent at 90 Rage on Offensive abilities, 1 Execute and 8 Heroic Strikes vs. 8 Ultimatum procs.

This is excellent use of your Rage income as from WoL I can show that you were able to use more Rage then you gained >.> while casting strong SBar bubbles with a moderate/decent uptime of 27.9%.

You also used Demo Shout 4 times in this fight (max possible for fight duration), which is excellent.

I don’t see any Shield Walls, or Last Stands, or Rallying Cry. I will give you a pass on this one due to your diligent use of your other spells and the challenge level this fight should be giving your guild. However regular use of larger CDs is something I like to see.

Too often tanks reserve all of their 3 minute CDs waiting for that moment when things go poorly rather than using them more often to avoid that moment. Save one for when it starts falling apart, the whole bag of tricks shouldn’t go wasted.

Offensively there’s much room for improvement. Only 1 cast of Berserker Rage where you could have gotten in 6-7 shows you missed out on 30-36 seconds of 10% increased damage done. I also do not see a cast of Shattering throw nor a use of Deadly Calm (you paid full price for at least 2 Heroic Strikes) nor Recklessness.

In fact your use of your offensive toolkit is low across all fights. On a total of 20 boss pulls,( at least 10 that would have made it to Execute phase) I see only 6 Shattering throws/Recklessness’s.

I also see 280 casts of Heroic Strike on 182 Ultimatum procs and zero uses of Deadly Calm. That’s 98 full-price Heroic Strikes (full price 30 Rage, 2940 Rage spent) Deadly Calm would have saved you 900 Rage and bought you 30 – 45 more HSs.

Gara’jal, same night fight lasted 3:26

Looks like you went second in the tanking rotation with the DK tank.

Only 4 casts of SBlk through 1 full phase of active tanking? That should be at least 2 casts short. Even if you missed timed your uses and didn’t have a charge up for Shadowy Attacks I see zero use of SBar, Shield Wall, Last Stand or Rallying Cry. What troubles me further is I see no use of Demo Shout on this fight.

So it looks like you let your Voodoo Dolls take a beating. Proper SBlk use paired with Demo Shout/SW would have saved considerable raid Damage. Last Stand/Rallying Cry could have made life easier on your healers. You could argue that this fight is too easy, but I’m seeing better CD use on Stone Guards so why lose your touch 2 bosses later?

Further you tanked this with a DK, and he took a beating. So too then did his Voodoo Dolls. Why no uses of Safeguard (better choice) or Vigilance (worse choice)?

I’d like to see you doing more to support the raid, the healers and your tanking partner.

I can prove an income of 860 Rage (SS 545, Rev 225, Enrage 60, Ber Rage 10, charge 20). With only 220 spent on active mitigation (4 SBlk x 55 rage (4pc bonus)). 4 executes (120 Rage) and 28 HS vs 12 Ultimatum Procs (480 Rage) leaves us with 820 Rage used.

Pop that Deadly Calm and buy yourself 33% more Heroic Strikes, particularly when you’re not actively tanking.

Protectors of the Endless, same night, fight lasts 6:40

Looks like you single tanked this one

25 Interrupts on the kill pull, 33% of your teams Interrupts, that’s what I like to see. How did you manage these interrupts? Where you on a certain Spell/boss? Did you glyph for Heroic Throw to be an interrupt (I don’t see any casts of it)?

Defensively I see Demo Shout hit a total of 12 targets. This is probably close to use on CD (which is good) as about half the fight there are 3 protectors up, it’s hard to be sure but there may be a cast or two you didn’t get (but I might just be mean to say that though).

1 Shield Wall, 2 Last Stands, zero Rallying Crys. What are you saving these CDs for? The beginning of the fight through the death of Kaolan is where going to wipe so there’s room for at least 1 more SW right there. The remainder of the fight it’s either a kill or you die to a Lightning Storm or someone taking too many stacks of the debuff. There’s no sense in saving CDs on this fight as those are wipe mechanics; burn up those CDs and save healer mana/attention/stress.

(I wish WoL would show Demo Banner use!)

28 casts of SBar with an average bubble of 243695.5 (nice), 1680 rage on active mitigation on a rage income of 2140 :/ Rage deficit of at least 460 for survival.

Cleave hit 44 targets; hopefully only a few were spent on multiple protectors to establish threat, as they Reset HP and this is a considerable waste of rage/effective DPS otherwise, burning cleave on Corrupted Waters however is sexy. Also 7 heroic strikes and 1 execute. It’s hard to tell whats going on here as determining the casts of Cleave vs. targets hit isn’t an exact science.

In sum I’m trying to figure out where 460 extra rage went, do you have any thoughts?

1 Shattering throw and Zero Berserker Rages/Deadly Calms, you’re still leaving considerable DPS on the table.

Lei Shi, same night fight lasts 6:24

Across all Lei Shi fight (5 of them) your tanking buddy died 3 times to Spray. What was going on there? I tank this fight as a DK and I feel very solid on this fight compared to other tanking classes.

I also see you died to spray on the same fights as the DK did. What happened? One of you mismanaging your CDs/taunts and causing stacks to be too high for the other?

On the kill pull I see 17 casts of SBar and 3 Demo Shouts. This is probably in line with the amount of time you would have been actively tanking the boss, which is good.

I also see 2 casts of Safeguard, how were you timing the use of this spell to not take (or spread) extra Splashes?

1 Shield Wall (2 min CD), whereas you could have gotten 2 in, and 1 Rallying Cry (which is probably in-line) and zero uses of Last Stand (2 min CD).

Conserving the Rallying Cry I have no qualms about, perhaps a healer is in charge of calling for that? But I would want to see a use of either Shield Wall or last Stand for every tanking phase you didn’t have Demo Shout up. So there should be at least 1-2 uses of each of these spells.

You could say you were saving them for OH SHIT! Moments but you were dying and wiping on this fight so smoothing out that damage and alleviating stress from the healers should become a priority.

I see you spec’d into Storm Bolt for this fight? I assume this was for tanking/stun-locking the protectors? If so why only 1 cast (30 sec CD)? This could also have been a nice tool for the Get Away mechanic but I see it was very underused.

Let’s sum this up

Overall I’m happish with what I see, although I’d like it to be more consistent. Being predictable, particularly as a Warrior with low self-heals, is very important to raid success.

I think you showed on a fight like Stone Guards you can manage your rage, active mitigation and damage reduction CDs well.

On Gara’jal I would have wanted to see more attention paid to helping the raid/Voodoo Dolls/the DK tank by using more of your defensive toolkit.

Don’t be afraid to use those bigger CDs more frequently. If you don’t use them they are of zero value. So even if you pop one at a time it isn’t super necessary you’re getting at least something out of it and smoothing damage out.

Offensive tool use you’re slacking. There are very few mechanics in this tier that would cause you to need/conserve Berserker Rage. Pop that thing! You’re also doing a fair amount of HS/Cleave without using any Deadly Calms.

I’m also seeing a maximum of 1 shattering throw per fight. Don’t be afraid to use it at the beginning of a 6 minute fight. It will be up again for the burn phase and used at the beginning when DPS have their pots/procs all going off, shazam.

Thanks again for you app and let me know your thoughts.

Hip

Hey Hip thanks for the feed back but I would like to address a few thing that you asked about and also clarify a few things as well.

The cd icon right over my character model would be the BigWig emphasized countdown, so it's only there when something important is about to happen and I need to be ready for. AS far as tracking threat yes I have 2 methods of tracking the first being omen to the right of my actionbars and the second would be threat plates I realize however that it is not visible in the screen shot. For deciding between SBr and SBk I leave that more to what sort of damage in being dealt to me in a given fight and I also have a vengeance tracker just below my player unit frame. Now, why no Tsulong? well CBDC one tanked that fight any for the last month+- they opted to have the dk do it over myself because well lets be real dks are amazing when it come to reducing burst magic damage.

Now before I dive into each fight that you have brought up I would just like to be realistic an say that I am much better with my defensive abilities well progresing on a fight on for the first few kills thereafter. However once the fight has been on farm for a number of weeks and you can do the fight with a blindfold on I tend to not be as focused on it.

Hm Stone Guard/ Gara'Jal

So as I said above I am really not focused on my active mitigation for these fights and am really just there to be a meat shield. As far as damage on myself an the raid is concerned it's really a none issue healers have tons of mana to spare and I'm really not getting punch in the face by any large chunks of damage. To the comment of using more rage then I gained...you do gain rage over time during combat (1 rage ever 3 sec) an not to be a D or anything but that's a pretty silly thing to miss when you're going through a persons logs this finely. In short easy fight on farm for months I'm not to worried about my damage intake.

Protectors

Yes I was one tanking this fight, as to my interrupts they were a focus pummel macro on lightning and water bolts well putting all my damage (with my high vengeance) in on the kill target. To my big cd usage I really only used them a for lightning bolts that may have gotten through but I also have spell reflect/mass reflect for that, and for corrupted waters. With regards to the extra rage some of it would have gone into enrage regen but other then that I don't know I do however not recall pooling any rage during that fight. Cleave hits yes for initial threat but dumping my ultimatum pros quickly, bite of a bad play on my part but its just how I have the cleave/heroic strike key-binds and they're been like that for forever it just feels weird every time i go to change it (silly I know). Lastly there only one shattering/recklessness simple because I can not open the fight with me simplify do to the shear burst from the dps.

Lei Shi

So firstly tanks deaths to spray I can simplify say that it would be after a wipe has been called for. How'd I time the safeguards well I didn't safeguard puts you far enough away from the person that you wont get hit by spray and it was more so just to get threat of the dk without him having to stop attacking. Saved countdowns for when I was tanking during protect and using rally/demo banner when the healers asked for it during get away. Stormbolt usage was many for the adds, yes I could have used it more on the boss but its damage is fairly low also it was cast 3 times for 115k damage (terrible damage) not just once.

Regardless of what you thought of me as a tank thank you for your time an your input but I have already accepted an invite from another guild so again thanks an good luck on your sha kill :3

Cheers

Um so I'd like to reopen my application if I may...? Summit - Illidan is trailing 17+ people atm 6 of them being tanks which I don't think is to hot. I also just can't get along with the guild master /main tank at all (I tried I sware D:).

Available for more QnA or vent/mumble chat

http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/224489/ - Logs with Summit have only raided the 26th an 27th will also be in raid tonight as far as I know.

With love Durlz <3

Hey Durl!

Thanks for keeping us in mind, and I'm sorry things didn't work out at Summit. Are you saying they maintain a roster of about 42 people? We're targeting 28 lol.

At this point we have accepted a prot warrior for the spot and she will begin her trial period next week. We're excited and focused on that. If you would like to check back in a week or two I can certainly provide you an update at that time. You can also add my btag ashin#1840 if you want to keep in touch that way.

Thank you. :)