Cryopathy - Bloody Knight of Death

Cryopathy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually almost hesitated to provide 10m logs, because frankly, I can get away with playing recklessly most of the time and taking extra unnecessary damage to pad DPS. I even wore full DPS haste/crit gear for many fights. Anyone who reviews my 10m logs will see that I oftentimes have very high overhealing/low average healing on Death Strike simply due to not needing to use it properly, partially because I lucked out with itemization early on and have been lucky enough to tank with a huge amount of Mastery, and partially because of the relatively low level of incoming damage on 10m.

Hip is going to be very agitated! This is a pet peeve of his. Do you have the opportunity to log some fights where you use death strike properly - just for showing off?

/edit: also wouldn't Tauren be a strong choice for you, given your concern about effective health?

Hip is going to be very agitated! This is a pet peeve of his. Do you have the opportunity to log some fights where you use death strike properly - just for showing off?

Thankfully I have learned from previous experience and I didn't start splashing around in the logs just yet. Cryo to be honest with you there's no value in going through your logs if you're saying up front it's not indicative of your best play. Get some logs with you using your CDs and DS'ing and maximizing your survival as best you can. Even if it's overkill for your 10s team it will give me a clearer picture than what you've provided thus far.

-10m vs 25m gearing: The biggest difference in 25m heroic gearing is the necessity of higher EH. Because Death Knights' active mitigation relies on taking damage first, and 25m has appreciably higher incoming damage, a significant chunk of extra health is required in order to mitigate the possibility of getting 1- or 2-shot. The necessity of this, however, depends on my gear, the healers, and the particular fight. Specifically I'd make the following changes to achieve more EH, in relative order of importance:

-Use of one or two Stam trinkets in most fights.

-Change mastery gems to stamina/mastery or pure stamina.

-Rune of Stoneskin Gargoyle for most situations.

Trinkets and weapons will probably serve as the most practical means of gaining sufficient EH. It would be a scarce few fights that you'd need to start stam stacking gems, provided you are using your tools (DS and defensive CDs) properly.

If you're not already doing it, become a pack-rat of weapons, trinkets and gear. FInd a few pieces that don't play into your Hit/Expert caps and have alternates for those slots gemmed/enchanted differently for differnet situations (more stam, haste proc, etc.).

Ashin: I had my first rude awakening to 25m Heroic tanking when I stepped into Firelands on 25H after only ever doing it on 10H. I ran ahead of my healers as I was used to pulling fast, tanking trash packs for a few seconds while they caught up. I promptly got wrecked by the first trash pack I tried to pull. That quickly taught me that there is a serious difference in incoming damage. 25H Firelands and a few 25H Dragon Soul bosses are the extent of my 25m tanking experience. I also tanked Sartharion 3D way back when Death Knights could tank as Frost. Admittedly, Firelands was post-4.3 (so I did not experience the true pain of being a Death Knight tank in 4.2 Firelands) and both instances of Cataclysm tanking were after progression was done. I have not yet had the opportunity to tank 25m in Mists.

So the HM trash got ya, eh?

Dying on trash is no biggie, it happens to any of we over zealous tanks wandering off to grab more mobs. In all such cases it is the healers fault.

What is more concerning is, as you've stated, you haven't tanked 25 HM as current content or under the current tanking models.

I was excited to get into the DK- and tanking-specific stuff! Time to nerd out.

Get me some good logs and the hardcore nerding will commence