(WOW) Out of the shadows, Tillandra strikes. Old/ex-member re-applying for social member

Tilluk

Now for the long response. This is a more complicated situation than it would appear on its surface, because (a) it connected to a much broader discussion about friend/member/ghost/vet and (b) this was the second time you have "quit" the guild.

To explain to everyone else, we have an unwritten rule in our guild, the intention of which is to take a "quit" decision very seriously. We allow everyone one mistake / heated moment / rash decision. And at that point they are told individually that they will be accepted back, no harm no foul. However, they are also told that if they make that same rash decision again, they will not be re-admitted. As he knows, Tilly did quit the guild once before. And, this policy was explained to him. Therefore, according to this policy, he would not be eligible for re-invite after his second "quit" episode.

Likewise, according to our semi-unwritten rules, someone who quits the guild but continues to play the game where we have an active chapter must be demoted to Friend, and is (at most) eligible for reinstatement to Member.

So those are the relevant precedents in this case, for those who take note of how we deliberate our guild affairs~

Addressing the first precedent first, I decided that consideration must be given for (a) how much time has passed and (b) how the person conducts himself after leaving. For example, I think we would agree that someone who rage quits in the middle of a raid, is reluctantly taken back, and then does the same thing a month later is someone to whom we need to say goodbye. But Tilly's situation is nothing like this. He remained an active and important part of the guild for nearly four years after his first "meltdown". While there have been times when he's needed a break, he always handled and communicated it properly since then. He did leave the raid team on short notice this time around. But by being available for every raid since leaving, he essentially gave us the notice we would have required. He didn't have the guild tag on anymore, but he was still behaving as if he were a teammate.

For these reasons, I do not believe he should be barred from returning. I would only remind you, Tilly, that we do take "quit" decisions seriously, and if there is a "next time", I may not necessarily reach this same conclusion.

Regarding the second topic, as I said this is much broader. Situations such as Inedit's, Tilly's and some of the hypothetical arguments brought up in the ranks definition thread made us realize that deciding whether a departing Vet moves to Ghost or Friend is complicated. The leadership of both chapters deliberated for several weeks, and we were unable to establish a formula or set of rules that results in satisfactory outcomes under all cases.

We did agree to a general framework with which to approach these case-by-case decisions. Your conduct, both during and subsequent to your departure, are extremely important. This is the clearest indicator of whether you remain loyal to the guild (overall) despite your decision to leave a chapter. Second, whether or not you accept responsibility for your choices is of great importance to us. It does neither party any good to take you back if all of the issues which lead to your original departure remain unresolved.

Applying this framework to Tilly's case is straightforward. While he quit in the heat of the moment, after he cooled off, he was able to recognize that it was still a valid decision (just for different reasons). Rather than being resentful or blaming the guild, he took responsibility for his own choice.. He also remained available to his team for weeks following. In fact, he was part of several guild-first kills that would have been delayed without his help. He continued to act like a part of the guild this entire time.

For these reasons, Tilly your rank will be corrected. You are a Ghost, not a Friend, and therefore you are eligible to have your Veteran status reinstated.

Welcome back.

(Now you can see why I could only give the short-answer last night...)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now for the long response. This is a more complicated situation than it would appear on its surface, because (a) it connected to a much broader discussion about friend/member/ghost/vet and (b) this was the second time you have "quit" the guild.

To explain to everyone else, we have an unwritten rule in our guild, the intention of which is to take a "quit" decision very seriously. We allow everyone one mistake / heated moment / rash decision. And at that point they are told individually that they will be accepted back, no harm no foul. However, they are also told that if they make that same rash decision again, they will not be re-admitted. As he knows, Tilly did quit the guild once before. And, this policy was explained to him. Therefore, according to this policy, he would not be eligible for re-invite after his second "quit" episode.

Likewise, according to our semi-unwritten rules, someone who quits the guild but continues to play the game where we have an active chapter must be demoted to Friend, and is (at most) eligible for reinstatement to Member.

So those are the relevant precedents in this case, for those who take note of how we deliberate our guild affairs~

Addressing the first precedent first, I decided that consideration must be given for (a) how much time has passed and (b) how the person conducts himself after leaving. For example, I think we would agree that someone who rage quits in the middle of a raid, is reluctantly taken back, and then does the same thing a month later is someone to whom we need to say goodbye. But Tilly's situation is nothing like this. He remained an active and important part of the guild for nearly four years after his first "meltdown". While there have been times when he's needed a break, he always handled and communicated it properly since then. He did leave the raid team on short notice this time around. But by being available for every raid since leaving, he essentially gave us the notice we would have required. He didn't have the guild tag on anymore, but he was still behaving as if he were a teammate.

For these reasons, I do not believe he should be barred from returning. I would only remind you, Tilly, that we do take "quit" decisions seriously, and if there is a "next time", I may not necessarily reach this same conclusion.

Regarding the second topic, as I said this is much broader. Situations such as Inedit's, Tilly's and some of the hypothetical arguments brought up in the ranks definition thread made us realize that deciding whether a departing Vet moves to Ghost or Friend is complicated. The leadership of both chapters deliberated for several weeks, and we were unable to establish a formula or set of rules that results in satisfactory outcomes under all cases.

We did agree to a general framework with which to approach these case-by-case decisions. Your conduct, both during and subsequent to your departure, are extremely important. This is the clearest indicator of whether you remain loyal to the guild (overall) despite your decision to leave a chapter. Second, whether or not you accept responsibility for your choices is of great importance to us. It does neither party any good to take you back if all of the issues which lead to your original departure remain unresolved.

Applying this framework to Tilly's case is straightforward. While he quit in the heat of the moment, after he cooled off, he was able to recognize that it was still a valid decision (just for different reasons). Rather than being resentful or blaming the guild, he took responsibility for his own choice.. He also remained available to his team for weeks following. In fact, he was part of several guild-first kills that would have been delayed without his help. He continued to act like a part of the guild this entire time.

For these reasons, Tilly your rank will be corrected. You are a Ghost, not a Friend, and therefore you are eligible to have your Veteran status reinstated.

Welcome back.

(Now you can see why I could only give the short-answer last night...)

Thank you ashin. =)

And I understand that another "quit" can get a nope.avi reply for trying to join again. I would also understand if you would like me to go through the trial process instead giving me a shot at my old vet status.

• 1 month later...

"We did agree to a general framework with which to approach these case-by-case decisions. Your conduct, both during and subsequent to your departure, are extremely important. This is the clearest indicator of whether you remain loyal to the guild (overall) despite your decision to leave a chapter. Second, whether or not you accept responsibility for your choices is of great importance to us. It does neither party any good to take you back if all of the issues which lead to your original departure remain unresolved.

Applying this framework to Tilly's case is straightforward. While he quit in the heat of the moment, after he cooled off, he was able to recognize that it was still a valid decision (just for different reasons). Rather than being resentful or blaming the guild, he took responsibility for his own choice.. He also remained available to his team for weeks following. In fact, he was part of several guild-first kills that would have been delayed without his help. He continued to act like a part of the guild this entire time."

This, absolutely. Welcome back, Tilly!!