GW2 Intro - Toran

Toran

I need to start by saying a big thank you to all who have been so kind in the game so far, explaining a whole bunch of things and making me feel at home even though I'm not part of the guild.

My main character in GW2 is Red Rasmussen, a level 79.5 guardian who hails from the Shiverpeak Mountains. Some of you have called me "Blue" because of him, and I welcome that nickname and any others you'd enjoy using. My real name is Mark, and you're more than welcome to call me that as well!

My other four are Katalynne the lvl ~30 ranger, Ally Synn the ~25 mesmer, Ralot Goreclash the ~20 warrior, and Darek Doomweave, the somewhat neglected ~20 necromancer. I imagine I'll be buying more slots. I generally prefer mages in other games, but I like Red's combination of up-close battle prowess and team support capabilities (though I have no idea what I should optimally be doing with him much of the time in WvW).

I've only been playing GW2 for a few weeks now, but love it so far. I played GW1 but never joined a guild. Other games I like are ... boy, not many I don't like, except maybe FPS, and even there there are exceptions. The only other game I've played online with others in a guild/group is Neverwinter Nights, with two different servers. I guess I prefer RPGs overall, with Planescape:Torment and Baldur's Gate II among my faves of all time, along with NWN 1. I like strategy (XCOM, Galactic Civ, Civilization), action/adventure (Batman), System Shock 2, Bioshocks, Dead Spaces, Fallouts, a whole ton of indie games...

I work at home as a medical editor, editing manuscripts written by non-English speakers for publication in the US or other English-language countries; I have an MD but due to chronic health issues couldn't do the residency (postgrad) training required to see patients, which would have been my goal otherwise. I like working out; I especially like inline speed skating, and despite the fact that I live in Boston, not a tiny city by any means, I seem to be one of the only people doing it. Other miscellany: one of my favorite jobs was as a bike courier downtown. I just moved and like hiking in a big wooded area near my house.

I was told of SOH by Piper Moonblossom (he said that's probably how he's best known), aka Solstice, another GW2 player. We party in PvE quite a bit, but alas he's already committed to another guild. I'm quite introverted overall, so enjoy doing things alone and am most interactive when I'm with a small number of other people, though I think my times doing activities even in larger SoH groups have been a blast thus far. I like PvE, and most likely always will prefer it, but I know that has to do in part with how new I am to WvW and that type of gameplay in general. I'm definitely excited to learn more.

So I think that's it! I'd be happy to answer any questions people have.

Mark a.k.a. Toran

P.S. Almost forgot: my favorite color is slate blue

Edited by Toran

YAY!!! FINALLYYYYY!!!!!! I've been waiting for this! :)

I'm glad you've been enjoying everything you've done with SoH so far! We have a bunch of talented WvW commanders (minus Porqy... <3) who are super kind and patient and will show you the ropes of what you need.

As for PvE... that's what I'm here for! \o/ Welcome and enjoy your stay :)

Oh yea... and PAX EAST! :D

Rarely do I wish I were still in Boston, but this is one of those times. I was right in Cambridge and could have tagged along for PAX East >.<

Welcome, Mark! I think guards are pretty fun! If you ever want to party up for PvP or PvE content, I think just about everyone here would be happy to join with you. Glad to see you like your GW2 and SoH experiences so far-see you in game! ^.^

Mina -- minus Porq?!?!?!  :O  Haha ... I've actually been REALLY impressed with all our commanders thus far.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. You're all so kind. :)  And re: PAX EAST --- YES!!! The one other time I got together with NWN guildmates was a total blast.

And Makiko -- I've been in Boston so long I rarely wish I were still here either (cold weather stinks!!), but here I am nonetheless. I'll make the best of it till things change. I'm glad your move was the right one.

I also forgot a major shout out to Fera, who explained, helped, sent me messages, set up accounts, etc. etc. etc....  *\o/* for the awesome leader of the (SoH) band!

Edit: Looks like I need an avatar!

Edited by Toran

Hi Toran! Welcome to the boards. We are delighted to have you with us 101%20Smilie.png

You've written a wonderful intro -- thank you for letting us get to know you. Medical editor you say? Very interesting! I've done a bit of editing myself (lol, for an ESL professor no less!) It can be some tricky stuff, what with those egos xD

As for WvW, you've definitely landed in the right place. We have some wonderful COs, all of whom are good leaders and teachers. Piper did you a solid -- even though he's still wearing the wrong guild tag ^^

I will set you up with Recruit access so you can have greater access to the forums (in particular, start with the threads linked below). We use forums A LOT so make yourself at home. You will soon recieve a PM from me here (look for red in the upper right corner).

Please respond where applicable:

• read and sign the Code of Conduct here
  • GW2 Chapter new member orientation here

Cya in game!!!

Welcome Toran! Glad you're enjoying playing with all of us. You wrote a wonderful intro and have been doing an excellent job of getting to know everyone while you're on the game and I think that's awesome! Looking forward to playing more with you...if you ever want help with anything,just ask :)