GW 2 into - Solstice

solstice

Hello from a friend on Crystal Desert!

I had originally just intended to sign up for your forums as a "friend", so I could keep in touch after your move to Dragonbrand.  However, after Fera explained the SoH Merc guild rank to me, I've decided to also accept her gracious offer and become an SoH Merc for  PvE content.  I'll do everything in my power to live up to the tag when I'm displaying it.  I'm currently planning on staying on CD and continuing to play with the very small group of friends that I've been gaming with since the GW1 days, but I'm really looking forward to occasionally being able to take part in SoH guild missions or other PvE content with you all.

Unlike GW1, I didn't incorporate "Solstice" into all or even any of my character names, so although some of you may know me as Solstice, some of you know me as Piper (for my ranger, the first character I tried WvW with) or Autumn (who attended many of Grieve's mesmer training sessions) or Eikar (ditto for Huntyre's guardian sessions).  You're welcome to call me by any of those names.  I also look forward to meeting those of you that I've not encountered yet!

I've been on voice-comm with many of you many times, primarily for DWvW, but I've generally been muted -- I have a very clicky keyboard.  I'll start training myself for push-to-talk, but if I happen to be on mumble with you in the future and I'm quiet, don't be offended.  Recommendations for what others use for their PtT keybinding would be greatly appreciated.

I've been playing GW2 on CD since launch.  Guild Wars (1) was my first and only other MMO, and I played that for years before switching to GW2.  Before GW1 starved out playtime for other games, I played a mix of RTS (Star Craft, AoE I & II, Total Annihilation & Supreme Commander), hack & slash (Diablo I & II) and single-player RPG (Elder Scrolls III, Baldur's Gate).  I'm a little (or a lot, depending on your perspective) older than many of you, so I have fond memories of text-based and "hi-res" adventure games on the Apple IIe during my teen years -- games like "Wizardry", "The Bard's Tale", "Wasteland", and "Might & Magic".

In GW2, I play about 60% PvE and 40% WvW, though with the current CD WvW atmosphere it's been closer to 90/10 for the past few months.  I hadn't anticipated playing WvW at all, and didn't for the first four months after GW2 launch.  But for a chance encounter with Tyrlis just over a year ago, and the subsequent beginner-friendly trainings that he, Huntyre, and Grieve (& Jacked!) lead, I probably never would have taken to WvW at all.

IRL, I'm a Linux & UNIX system administrator at a university in the US upper midwest.  I've developed an interest in photography in the past couple years, but so far I can confirm that it's still possible to take mediocre pictures even with fantastic gear.

Since I'm in the upper midwest and since our winters last an unpleasantly long time, this time of year I'm in game most evenings (Central time).  Because of other committments I won't always be able to take part in guild events, but hopefully you'll be seeing me around once in a while.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Solstice

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forums.  My account is still back on CD also, but I usually only log on for the Guild Missions.  As for a PTT key, you need to figure out what is within easy reach for your hands and how much you use your mouse/keyboard for moving and actions.  Personally I cheat and use the G-Shift key on the Logitech G600 mouse, but others often find left shift or left ctl easy to access.

Edited by Ankin

I'm so glad you made it! :) 

As Hunt said, poke around and make yourself at home.  We do GMs on Sunday evenings @ 6:45p CST (guesting on CD till we've got some unlocks ready to load) ^^  I'll try to remember to poke you in advance to remind you xD

Solstice! Glad to hear that you're making another small step towards becoming a proper member... I have faith we will convince you one day.

Upper Midwest eh? I'm from Wisconsin and Huntyre currently lives in Minnesota. I think Pride & Vanity are in Michigan.

See you at the GMs on Sunday!