FFXIV - Celesa Harper

TeamC

Hello all! My name is Adam and I'm a friend of Del'wynn Bajhiri, who said he'd vouch for me.

I've been playing MMOs since back in the days of Everquest and really haven't stopped since starting. I've gone from Everquest to Star Wars Galaxies to WoW to Star Wars - The Old Republic to FFXIV with multiple stops in-between. I've done raiding in pretty much any game I've played that had it, and was also an officer in the WoW raid guild that Del'wynn references in his post. 

I enjoy MMOs primarily for the social aspect and any game I've spent significant time with is the result of catching on with a fun group to enjoy the ups and downs with while playing. As such, I'm hoping to find that here. 

I'm studying Graphic Design with the hopes of getting a job of some persuasion that leads to more than 8+ hours a day in a 3 wall cubicle.

I'm generally quiet until I get to know people then tend to be a pretty talkative, fun-loving guy. I like to avoid tension and drama where possible, so it sounds like we'd get along well in that regard.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone. :)

Howdy Adam:

I'm Fulg, the Chapter Lead for the FFXIV Chapter.  I feel pretty confident in anyone Del would vouch for, as he's been a great part of our static raid group in FFXIV for the past 4 months or so.   If I can dive in a little bit more with a series of questions!!

- What type of raid experience did you have in WoW and other games?  What is your fondest raid experience in any game?

- What class did you play the most in WoW?

- Where are you studying?  How many more years do you have left?  I think you'll find that many of our members are either in school (I'm a third year law student myself) or already graduated and on with their careers.

- When you're not gaming, what can you be found doing?

- Cake or pie?  Or cupcakes?

- What class are you playing in FFXIV?  Do you have a desire to raid?

Looking forward to hearing from you.  Since you have Del's vouch, you can send me a tell anytime in-game (Fulgara Fulguru) and we'll set you up in the Free Company.

I appreciate the quick turn around on responses as well as the invite last night even if Del was my only referral.  :)

To the questions raised:

Howdy Adam:

I'm Fulg, the Chapter Lead for the FFXIV Chapter.  I feel pretty confident in anyone Del would vouch for, as he's been a great part of our static raid group in FFXIV for the past 4 months or so.   If I can dive in a little bit more with a series of questions!!

- What type of raid experience did you have in WoW and other games?  What is your fondest raid experience in any game?

- What class did you play the most in WoW?

- Where are you studying?  How many more years do you have left?  I think you'll find that many of our members are either in school (I'm a third year law student myself) or already graduated and on with their careers.

- When you're not gaming, what can you be found doing?

- Cake or pie?  Or cupcakes?

- What class are you playing in FFXIV?  Do you have a desire to raid?

1, 2) Most of my useful raiding experience comes from WoW and SW-ToR, but I did a little in Everquest, but it was so long ago it's mostly nostalgic and not all that relevant to modern day stuff. I've raided in games like DC Universe Online doing pretty much all the way up to and including the Trigon content. I'm not quite sure if it's considered 'raiding' in Star Trek Online, but did some higher level content with a Fleet I was part of but didn't take to that game's endgame content much. 

I did pretty much all the SW-ToR raids on story mode and normal mode. When I was playing SW-ToR I wasn't looking to do much more than socialize and see content and the guild I found there fit quite nicely. I played a Sith Marauder in that game, as well as a Sith Assassin which I tanked with as an alt when needed. I liked it but that game had problems aplenty.

The meat of this raiding was/is WoW, as mentioned. I raided primarily as a protection paladin in WoW (before they got their Wrath upgrades *hipster glasses*). I did pretty much all of Vanilla, Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King content as a Prot Pally, main tanking for a long time, then moving to an Off-tank and DPS role when I joined the guild where I first started raiding with Del'wynn. We went to a mutual friend's 10m guild after Wrath and did 10m normal/heroic content in Cataclysm where I tanked with a Death Knight and later a Feral (Bear) Druid in order to balance our roster/class mix a bit better than 2 paladins would have. The druid then also mixed in Balance (Boomkin) DPS in spots where 2 tanks wasn't necessary. I've always enjoyed the challenge of taking on a new class and mechanics even if the evolution of WoW made lots of the mechanics involved with tanking overly simple. I still do Looking For Raid content with my Boomkin druid and periodically help some old friends from the aforementioned guild on the 10m Normal modes when they need a sub.

My best raiding experience would be the time I spent with the 10m raiding guild in WoW Cataclysm. We were successful but not without some bumps and bruises along the way. I loved playing with the 9 people we had gathered (even that Del'wynn guy), but we always had issue finding a solid 10th player. Unfortunately, that was what ended up breaking up the guild as we knew it, because that 10th person often was SO much trouble it made the main 9 not want to be around and slowly they started to stop, leave, go casual. I was even a casualty of this and stopped playing WoW for a while after we had killed Deathwing a few times and I felt I could depart without anyone feeling I was leaving due to a content roadblock.

3) I have a year left on my Graphic Design, studying at small school in Cincinnati, Ohio. I've a degree in Psychology already but I don't enjoy that line of work without a Masters Degree, and I've been reluctant to get into a field when my heart really isn't in it. It's a bit of a situation where I wish I knew then what I know now, but that's life.

4) If I'm not gaming I'm...likely playing something else, honestly. I've been a fan of video games in all shapes and formats since I shot my first duck in Duck Hunt back in 1988. I play all types from MMOs to RPGs to RTS to slower-paced games like Crusader Kings 2 (love the Game of Thrones mod). I'll even do throwbacks to older consoles like the SNES stuff at times. 

But when I need a break I'm usually doing drawings or digital paintings while taking in a little Netflix. I also write in my spare time, and use the artwork to help flesh out characters, settings, objects in the world. I don't really have much interest in combining the two into a graphic novel style of storytelling, but I do have aspirations of one day completing and publishing a novel. I'm also a movie buff and will happily go see anything that looks interesting at the movie theater. I like to do stereotypical 'guy things' too like bowl, shoot pool, watch sports, etc. 

5) Cupcakes, Cake. Pie. In that general order, but I suppose it's a bit of an up and down scale. Chocolate Cupcakes, Chocolate Cake above all, but Apple Pie above any other kinds of cake/cupcakes.

6) Monk was what appealed to me initially, so I've been doing Lancer and Pugilist off the bat. I'll admit I have no idea what the landscape looks like in terms of viability of any particular class in a raid, so perhaps I'm already going down a bad road? I would like to raid if possible, but if no openings are available I'm perfectly okay with socializing and that kind of thing as well. My biggest worry about raiding is that I do like to go out and enjoy life, and I hate the idea of leaving people in the lurch when I want/need a night off.

Long responses, I know. Hopefully they give you a bit more idea of me, though. :)

I'm so sad to hear that your final raiding days in WoW had to come down to DS! :( Although I can't feel too badly for you if you raided during a lot of the earlier content that I never got to see. ;) I have to say that I was so fortunate to begin tanking in that tier (DS). It was like training wheels for when I dove into the meat-grinder known as MoP 25H tanking... and with what was widely considered the worst tank at the time! The numbers even BEAR that out. ha. ha. ha.

I don't meet other Bear tanks that often, so I absolutely had to hop in and say... grawrl... <cough> I mean welcome!

Awesome stuff, thanks for taking the time.  You have a very similar background to many of our players.  I also played as a Boomkin during our latest progression period with SoH.  And another Ohioan!  I'm at law school at Ohio Northern in NW Ohio for another few months!

I've changed your rank to "Recruit" so that you can get a better sense of who we are and roam our forums.  We use our forums pretty extensively and we're also a very expansive gaming community -- you can find information or discussion for about every game EVER.  Check out our FFXIV subreddit as well for leveling guides/strategies and gearing guides once you're 50!

Please also: