Wildstar Intro - Jestoner

Jestoner

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!

Lionheart - My Favorite class type often jumps between healing and dps depending on what is needed.  I am not a huge fan of tanking and although i have pulled it off, it wasn't exactly enjoyable for me.  Maybe that'll change in a new game though!  I played a shadow/holy priest throughout much of wow since the gear was fairly interchangeable, i just swapped to whatever was needed at the time.  For Wildstar i am thinking either Esper or the Spellslinger.

Nyisha - The battlestar game is a wonderfully thematic game.  If you have watched and enjoyed the show (the new reboot) then you'll have a blast with this.  You really feel like you are running for your life while having no clue who is out to get you.  The rules can be a bit cumbersome so having someone who has played or watching some youtube how to play videos can be very helpful.  Also boardgame geek has some wonderful cheat sheets for looking up roll charts.  Just understand that the good guys (aka humans) are at a distinct disadvantage.  If they win their first game it is very likely that you were missing a key rule. 

Toobz - I saved you for last because well, i love talking about TV shows!  Hmm this is a tough question that could be answered in many different ways.  I think the best example is actually two shows that i think may have helped each other out.  That would be Breaking Bad and House of Cards.  Breaking bad is a show that barely got made in the first place.  The love that went in to that pilot though is simply amazing, check out Brian Cranston's Nerdist podcast if you're in to long form chats like that for tons of info on why everything was laid out the way it was.  Breaking bad was not the ratings powerhouse that it ended up being by the end (and the end while a satisfying or even perfect ending storyline wise was IMO a bit lacking when compared to the episodes leading up to it).  I'm convinced it was actually thanks to netflix that this and now many other shows can exist. It wasn't long ago that if you wanted to get caught up on a show you had to buy the $50 box sets of DVDs.  Netflix allows people to catch up for one low monthly price and then people will watch the live episodes increasing rating and bringing in better and bigger sponsors fighting over spots for commercial breaks.  In turn netflix has changed from a movie rental destination to more of a TV streaming service because let's be honest, the movie selection for netflix streaming is often quite lacking.  So now that netflix is bringing in more and more people thanks to their TV selection it only made sense for them to try and get in to the TV market with House of Cards.  There are of course other examples like Orange is the New Black (which is fantastic but VERY adult) but i think House of Cards has been the most successful critically.  With house of cards they went all out with budget for actors, director and quality of writing.  I don't know that this would be possible with out the help of shows like Breaking Bad.

For storytelling however this past year Orphan Black has been the standout show for me.  By episode 3 of season 1 you're hooked and it becomes a nonstop action packed thrill ride.  They don't rely on a gimmick (like a characther with a secret and the show is based around that secret).  They don't stick to one main idea for a season.  Each episode almost entirely changes the entire show and where the story is headed.

The most interesting conversation was probably with a (very large) trucker who goes out of his way to pass through Harrisburg just to go to a local hot dog place.  He went in to great detail about what was his favorite hot dogs and why.  Seriously though they are amazing hotdogs, check out the menu http://www.dkdogs.com/DK-Dogs-Menu.pdf

So jealous of your knack for conversations with random people! :p All I usually have in those situations is an obnoxious mild terror that I have to push aside, lol.

Warhammer you say!!! What class did you play? :D We rolled Destro on Dark Crag (the PvP server) not too long before the game reached an unplayable point for the guild, but the Disciple of Khaine might be my favorite class in any game ever. If they had implemented three factions instead of two, that game's RvR might have had the best system for large-scale PvP ever.

Welcome!  I wasn't even aware there was a Fargo TV series.  Going to have to check that out.

I'm going to have to agree with your assessment of the impact of raidfinder on WoW.  I think it had some good effects, but it seems to have had a detrimental effect on the community.  I'm not playing WoW anymore, but near the end of my time with the game it seemed like everyone had 7 max level alts and you would rarely need to even talk to anyone on your server outside of your guild because groups were created for you.  Want to run a dungeon/raid/pvp, whatever?  Just click the finder button.  I mean I understand their point with making the game more accessible, but with that accessibility came an erosion of the community.  Out of curiousity, what did you enjoy about the shadow priest over other casters, if you tried them?  I never played one at a high level and am curious.

I originally started a priest to be a healer since our RL friends did not want to heal haha.  As i got into the other guild i found healers were far more common so to get a spot i actually had to roll DPS.  At the time shadow priest healing and mana return was a very unique system where as the more damage you did the more mana and health they would return to the entire party (this was when in 5 mans you had to separate people out into various 5 mans for buffs, they weren't raid wide.)  I became a very useful mana battery and even healed a good bit of AOE damage so i really enjoyed that i could still help while DPSing.  In wrath i wanted to raid more so i ended up rolling a mage to play in another guild and i really enjoyed the straight DPS with only having to worry about decursing.  I still miss the old shadow priest style of play though, in 5 man dungeons i could almost heal a whole group without the need for another healer (so 4 dps and 1 tank)