South of Heaven does Extra Life 2015!

Tyrlis

Ladies and gentlemen! We are exactly two months away from Extra Life 2015's game day!

Last year I did Extra Life for the first time and it was a really rewarding experience. SoH members were some of my best supporters and I raised $460 of my $500 goal. But that's not going to satisfy my need to help children this year. You know what WILL? A South of Heaven Extra Life team!

I've thrown together a barebones page here. To sign up, you'll just need to register on the Extra Life site, go to that team page, and join our team. I've set our initial goal at $2000, but I would LOVE to raise it! I will also be editing some of the text on our page to reflect our guild story.

If you don't know what Extra Life is or how it works, the site has a great explanation here. If that's too long for you, I will summarize.

1. Sign up on the Extra Life website and join the SoH team. 

2. Set a fundraising goal for yourself and pick a Children's Miracle Network hospital to support. All my funds raised go to the Johns Hopkins Children's Center, but there are choices all over the country. There are PR reps from each hospital that send out updates to everyone, and they sometimes have RL meetups where you can meet patients and other Extra Lifers.

3. Customize your fundraising page and tell all your friends, family, and distant acquaintances on social media that you're participating in Extra Life 2015 to raise funds For The Kids.

4. At 8AM on November 7th, pick a game and start streaming on Twitch. Make sure your Extra Life page is linked somewhere prominent (I used an overlay with the URL). Play games. Take requests. Put on funny outfits in response to donations. Here's what I did for my stream last year...

Finalized 'perks'!

$10 earns a personal shout-out.

$25 earns 25 pushups at any moment you choose.

$50 forces a costume change (Superman, Steampunk, Redshirt, Packers jersey, suit & tie, snowsuit, etc)

$75 earns a personalized haiku or song that I will write and perform at some point during the stream.

$100 earns the right to browse my Steam library and pick any one game that I have to play for an hour.

5. Continue streaming until 8AM on November 8th. Then take a nap. Then wake up and be amazed at how many dollars you raised. Enjoy your renewed faith in humanity.

Now I know 24 hours is a REALLY long time to be strapped to your chair. Luckily there's nobody from Extra Life Corporate running a stopwatch and deducting dollars if you take a break! Here's what the Extra Life site says...

Keep in mind that you don’t have to participate for 24 hours straight! Extra Lifers are heroes but they’re still human! Don’t forget meals, bathroom breaks, and to take plenty of opportunities to stretch. If you’re feeling tired, put your game down and go take a nap! Make sure you get plenty of sleep in the week leading up to your marathon.

You can even split your 24 hours into multiple pieces. Many people use that tactic to try and get more donations due to less competition, or just to avoid completely screwing up their sleep schedules. There's nothing wrong with it!

On a personal note, I'm going to be sharing my stream with my family this year. My middle daughter has already shown an interest in creating videos for Youtube, and Wifey has volunteered to help with the marketing push for both my personal effort AND the guild's!

So! A chance to play games (which we already do) and raise money for a great cause! Why haven't you signed up yet?

:Onion 109:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Nathan,

Thank you for coming back to Extra Life this year, and for owning a piece of a record-breaking year for the kids we serve. From small towns to bustling cities, gamers are standing up, in record numbers, for sick and injured kids being treated at their local Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. They too, are answering the call to help raise lifesaving funds and awareness for these kids, in advance of our official 2015 Game Day on November 7th.

We are now two months away.  That’s 60 short days.  86,400 minutes.

Think about those minutes, and all you have packed into your life.  If you count sleeping, working, family, and a social life into those minutes, the time remaining to accomplish your fundraising goal, or to set a new bolder goal and smash that, becomes even more scarce.

That’s why I’m hoping that you’ll read this email today and stop what you’re doing to plan out your fundraising ideas for this year’s Extra Life event.  Your plan can be a list of people to ask, a list of companies that you do business with, or even the crazy things you’ll do when people donate.  Right now, I’m asking you to stop down for three minutes and give this some thought.  Don’t put this off.  In the time you generously took to read this, another minute has ticked away between now and game day.  

We’re rooting for you, Nathan.  We believe in you and the impact you can have for local kids.  Our mission is important, the stakes are high, and time is running out on 2015.

For The Kids,

Jeromy (Doc)

Team Extra Life

Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals

Hi there Nathan, 

It’s Doc with your August recap of the latest and greatest from the farthest corners of the growing Extra Life community.  There’s a lot to cover, but first please know how much we appreciate each and every one of you for your hard work on behalf of the kids we serve.  Thanks to you, we’re pacing up more than 80% over this time last year, and may surpass our first $1 Million raised for 2015 by the end of this week.  So far there are nearly 20,000 Extra Lifers registered against our goal of recruiting 200K by game day.

HAPPENING NOW

12e312c3e4e7020b55001106_280x147.jpg
Ubisoft continues to offer a sweet incentive for your donors surrounding their upcoming blockbuster Rainbow Six | Siege which is currently scheduled to enter closed beta later this month.  Remember to tell your friends that anyone that donates $6 or more to your personal fundraising efforts will receive guaranteed beta access when it goes live.  Best of all, we fulfill the codes for any available system.

spacer.gif

42d65238ca5bd41b21bcaafd_280x233.png
We’ve added YOUR IMPACT tracking to every Extra Lifer’s personal fundraising page.  This awesome tool helps not only show the number of dollars you’ve personally raised for your hospital, but it also shows you what the people you’ve helped to recruit have raised, and what their recruits raised.  Remember, spreading the word and recruiting more Extra Lifers is an extremely effective way to leave a bigger charitable footprint for the kids we serve.  Read all about IMPACT TRACKING here.

spacer.gif

Do you stream your gameplay on Extra Life Game Day? Then grab the latest and greatest broadcasting toolbox now available in the Extra Life Media Kit.  From overlays to branded videos to use during breaks, there’s a lot to explore in there.  

You’ll also see that inside that kit we’ve unlocked a sweet, geektastic new functionality for the whole community. We call it JaSON!  Finally, we’ve brought you real-time data to help you build your own widgets and live tickers.

Click Here to Check Out the Media Kit  
spacer.gif

HAPPENING SOOOOOOOON!

Voting to select the winner of the 2nd Annual Extra Life Promo Video Contest is opening in just a few short days.  You’ll be able to check out this year’s finalists and vote for your favorite by liking each video on our Facebook page. Voting opens later this week!

spacer.gif

4517d84fc9e6983429803f36_280x177.png
Voting to select the winner of the 2nd Annual Extra Life Promo Video Contest is opening in just a few short days.  You’ll be able to check out this year’s finalists and vote for your favorite by liking each video on our Facebook page. Voting opens later this week!

spacer.gif

6a49a3a3bad31388762eaebb_280x186.jpg
We’re announcing the dates for Extra Life United 2016 in September. This annual event is a great way to connect with the kids we serve and fellow Extra Lifers from around the world. Watch our Facebook page and Community Hub to be the first to see this year’s Save The Date and begin the countdown to the opening of registration.

spacer.gif

Those are the highlights for now.  Stay tuned, keep spreading the word and thank you for all that you’re doing to help us save kids’ lives.  If we work together this promises to be the best year ever For The Kids.

In gratitude,

Jeromy Adams (Doc)

Team Extra Life

Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals

I posted a 1-month warning on our calendar, hoping to keep this in forefront. I can add a weekly one leading up to it if you like, just let me know. 

Also, Trove is FTP, has next to no learning curve, and is cute fun if you're looking for titles to play. I think your kids would get a kick out of it too. ;)