Hello from Ertic

Ertic

Hello. I'm Ertic, a 50 million SP pilot. I don't have any alts except a market alt in Jita that has hardly no skill points. So I really like what I have seen about this corp and am interested in joining. So a bit about me. I'm almost 38 years old, family man, two kids age 8 and 4. I'm from Western Canada, Alberta to be precise. I work for the provincial government, Human Services ministry (no school for you!) You will likely hear me talk about them a lot. I've been playing EVE off and on since 2010 or 11. I've always really enjoyed the game.

My game time is quite casual. I play after the kids go to bed and when my wife is at work. Most nights I log off when she gets home from work, sometimes even before that. That means I usually play from 0300 to 0430, 3-4 nights a week. 

I have been through a few corps now. My first corp was a good one but they were mostly Aussie. They also tried to do everything in the game and ended up doing nothing well. I joined a C5 WH corp for a bit but my casual play style is not well adapted to WH play. Also tried living with an almost defunct member of the CFC for a few weeks but I couldn't stand the boredom. So I moved back with my original corp until my computer crapped out. I bought a new computer last summer. I joined SENEX Legio in the Great Wildlands and was having a good time out there. But then a lot of the vets became even more bitter and stopped playing. They changed a lot of their game play so I decided to try a WH hole diving PVP corp. This was my latest corp. I like the guys there, but I just didn't gel with them. They did things a particular way and the game play just didn't grab me.

]I am looking for a corp where I can PVP but make enough ISK to buy new shinies. I want people I can joke around with and understand that I suck at PVP but offer helpful suggestions rather than scorn when I do something dumb like lemming the gate (for the record, I'm getting better at that). 

I'm looking my EVE home. I've dismissed corps holding Sov for most of my career, but I'm willing to give this corp/alliance a try. I'm quite interested in the alliance culture. So, I'll see you guys around while I go through the peanut butter dip sensor deprivation test.  I already have an essay prepared on the word 'The'. I can easily adapt it for conjunctions and pronouns. See you guys around!

You got me with the last paragraph man. That exact comic is at the top of our thread detailing our EVE recruiting process.  :lol:

We've already chatted quite a bit (TBert/TBette here) but out here I get to ask you all kinds of fun questions.

What does your family think about EVE? I started calling EVE my 'boring space game' so my girls wouldn't sit and watch me... but they still do it sometimes.

We strongly support learning by doing in PvP, so you're not going to find a judgmental group here. What's the silliest PvP loss you've had? Mine involves a corpse, a blockade runner, and CONCORD... but you'll have to join to hear the whole story.

We like to sit back on Friday nights, have a few drinks, and talk about our weeks. What would be your drink of choice on an evening like that?

I love that comic. In fact I'm a bit suspicious of corporations that don't subject potential applicants to an extensive application process. This game is way too brutal and it is far too easy to scam someone. 

Internet spaceships drew me into this game. I've been into the sci-fi genre since I was small. I just like being in a space simulator. I'm actually not a huge pvper, but I do believe that this game is a pvp game so you need to do it. I probably didn't get my first kill in this game until like a year playing it. A friend in another corp asked me if I PVP and then use PVE to finance it or do I PVE and then PVP because I have isk. I have decided that I'm actually the latter. The funny thing though is that I'm space poor (what can I say, I like shiney ships). That is one reason I want to move out to null, I hope I can PVE so that I can support myself.

My family leaves me alone with my internet spaceships. It sometimes causes me friction between the wife and myself but we've come up with some compromises. 

My silliest PVP lost. I had just joined SENEX. I didn't have a lot of ships in Wildlands yet, so a corp mate sold me a Dominix fitted with a micro-jump drive. I didn't want to feel like an idiot so I didn't mention that I couldn't use that module (I had just returned from EVE after a long break and the MJD had been introduced while I was away). So we go and try to defend a POS. That day earlier the corp and enemies had each lost about a dozen capital ships each on another POS so the CEO was out for blood. So the fleet I am on has capitals in it, including a Phoenix I think, flown by the CEO. We get to the POS, it is obvious that we are outgunned, so the CEO orders us to fire our MJDs and retreat. I meekly pipe up in comms - I can't use the MJD. Of course I lose the ship. The CEO also lost his Phoenix. I don't *think* I could be blamed for him losing the Phoenix, but I was sure I was kicked out of the corp. It was certainly brought up as a bone head moment, but it wasn't a big deal and I knew that this was how I wanted to PVP. 

I like to sit back with beverages on a Friday night too. Usually its a craft beer of some sort. I am going to Seattle and Vancouver this January to visit a friend and I am trying to plan a craft brewery crawl.  I'm mostly a beer drinker because I'm usually drinking alone and a bottle of wine might be a bit excessive... And I'm too real life poor to drink the hard stuff. So beer it is. 

Light side - Reason, order and compassion. My light sabre colour is blue. Tea drinker (drinking loose leaf green right now). Medium well for my steak. And everything tastes better with cheese and bacon (sorry to any kosher members out there). 

I was wondering, does the corp/alliance have an SRP program? Is the corp busier on weekdays or weekends? 

Anyways, keep the questions coming Looking forward to meeting more members.

Hi Ertic, welcome to the boards!

I won't get to game with you in EVE (casually playing in GW2 atm) but I wanted to extend a warm welcome so hopefully you'll feel at home. As you welcome a vetting process, my guess is you'll feel comfy-cozy after your trial and promotion. ^^ (It's my understanding the EVE is one of those titles that requires staunch attention to this due to the possibility of theft).

SoH has been gaming (in numerous and varied titles) since 2004. We're proud of our vetting process and of our Chapters and Members. Our Code of Conduct is explicit and Tyrlis (TBert) will likely suggest other reading as well. But once you've been promoted, you become part of our family. I will offer you our delicious blue Kool-Aid and invite you to a Cajun fais do-do ;)

Anyway, welcome! I hope you find a home here and come to game with us through the years :D

I was wondering, does the corp/alliance have an SRP program? Is the corp busier on weekdays or weekends? 

We're a little more active in weekends. Everything's slower than usual right now due to the impending holidays, but usually we have 3-4 people online on weeknights and 5-6 people online on the weekends. As far as SRP, we used to have a corp-level SRP but everyone just used the alliance SRP instead. We've repurposed our SRP funds towards our capital project, which you'll read all about once you've joined up.  :)

I'm going to upgrade your forum account to Recruit. That will allow you to view our EVE forums and the information overload they represent. Let me point out some highlights...

- Our guild has pretty high standards of behavior and conduct. Please read the Code of Conduct and post your understanding so we know you've read it.

- The EVE Online Chapter Policy forums has a pile of information about how our corp operates in EVE. Of particular importance, here are instructions for joining our in-game chat channel and here is an explanation of our in-game rank structure.

Some of us have limited playtime, so we use the forums a lot to discuss happenings in the game and plans for once we're actually able to log on. I'll be sending you a PM soon with even MORE words to read.

Hi Ertic and welcome to the corp!  It's going to be a struggle for me not to call you Eric. :p

I don't share your reservations about soloing a bottle of wine, but you're viewpoint is probably the correct one.  Have you been to Seattle before?  I really really enjoyed my first visit - actually a few of us from SoH met there for PAX.