[Eve] Elisa Blackrain

Elisa Blackrain

Hello, I had a conversation with Solomon a little bit ago that I think rather went well so I'm came here.  I've mostly had a history of starcraft broodwar, warcraft 3, diablo, and mostly dota for a decade .I've been enjoying Path of exile most recently as the real spiritual successor to diablo 2.  I did have experience with eve momentarily for a few months several years ago but nothing ever came of it.  I wasn't particularly committed to it at the time until this moment when my interest was piqued and I've decided to give it a real shot  I haven't ever really played a game that could be considered an mmo in any capacity so this will be my first time venturing into the genre.  I'm a second year college student as of now so I should have an ample amount of free time on my hands before things get more serious or until I get another job.  In any case, I guess that's it for my introduction and greetings to everyone who may or may not read this.

Welcome Elisa, as Becani said, Eve is a bit of a different animal than many MMOs but this can be a good thing if you embrace it. It's a wide open universe and you get to forge your own path. Of course, a good group of friends helps which is where friendly folks like the people here come in.

When you played Eve briefly before was there something you liked doing? What is the first Eve related skill you'd like to learn (using dscan, how fleets work,  how to probe down a wormhole etc)? And lastly, favorite ice cream flavor? 

Good morning Elisa.  Enjoyed our chat (I'm Ashin/Solomon/Valence/Bob).

Maybe we should mention to folks that you're not planning to formally apply to our EVE corp for another week or two, right?  I think you said you were going to focus on the new season in Path of Exile first.  I do agree with others that EVE is very different from any other MMO.  That's of course why we're here. :D

Oh, I did have a chance to look over your skills.  Wow!  You really did inject basically everything in the game except missiles, haha.  I would suggest you have missile related skills in your training queue while you are semi-AFK.  Specifically, work toward being able to use T2 rapid light missile launchers and heavy missile launchers.  The former is used a lot in our T1 cruiser roams, the latter is used in our cerberus fleets.  There's also some support skills that might have escaped your notice, but are still quite important.  For example: Armor Layering, Acceleration Control, Fuel Conservation, and the various sensor compensation skills (under targeting).  I would at least get those to 3 or 4.  You might also think about training Propulsion Jamming to 5, since you have basically everything else you would need to fly interdictors.

Just some ideas for you to think about.

7 hours ago, Becani said:

ooooooooooooo. Potential Dota Friend! :D

Hm, have to say. EVE is very, very different from other MMOs, and it really won't give you a good picture of what the genre is like. EVE is pretty special. :)

I've played dota for over a decade since the first iteration of it came out on warcraft 3.  So for now, I pretty much just play maybe one game a month with some friends whenever I feel like it because I'm honestly just a little burned out by it.  Special or not, I've had no experience with this so I won't have any preconceived notions of what it should and shouldn't be so I don't think it would feel particularly special to me :)  Which I think is a good thing.  

My time playing eve was extremely short and noncommittal so there wasn't anything I particularly enjoyed back then.  As for eve skill it'd likely be using the dscan, I had some experience with it in fw back then but that was a long time ago.  I haven't had ice cream in years, but my favorite would likely be chocolate or something along those lines.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I was going to be busy with the new path of exile league for a couple of weeks.  I had around 30 mil sp before I decided to inject to 50 mil so it wasn't too much, for the most part I just tried to get the skills I knew would be a pain in the ass to train later out of the way and whatever might be needed in a small gang.  I anticipated more use of turrets than missiles and I don't think I've ever particularly enjoyed them because of the delay in damage which is why they're sorely lacking heh.  For the support skills I plan to get them after I'm done with the combat skills since I have a remap and I want to optimize the training times.  In any case I can just fly a vexor/ishtar or logi until then because my drones skills are pretty much all done.

Hello potential space friend!

You'll only find Vexors in any of the corp/alliance/coalition doctrines, but logi (particularly T2) is ALWAYS welcome. Make sure you check out the doctrine page at http://bcc.bladesofgrass.space/fittings.php. We use missiles so much because A) they apply to a range of ships pretty well and B) it's really easy to change damage types. The meta may one day shift away from missiles though, I remember early last year missiles and Caldari ships in general were out of style in favor of the Ishtar (RIP, nerfed out of PvP).

Random questions time!

What faction were you in FW?

What sort of degree are you working towards?

How do you pick where you're going to eat when you're in an unfamiliar area?

I can fly all t2 logi's with logi5 and both remote reps at 4.  It's not that I don't have missile skills, I actually have heavy missiles to 5, it's just that the support skills for them are nonexistent so I don't think they'd be viable.  I was gallente when I participated in FW, and am working towards a bachelor's degree in some yet to be determined field.  For now I'm leaning towards mathematics but it'll be prone to change.  I live in new york city so there's pretty much food everywhere you go.  When I am in an unfamiliar place though it'll normally be with a friend or acquaintance so I can just ask for a referral.