[EVE] Dmitri Blok

Dmitri Blok

Hello all!

I recently saw the recruitment ad posted in the r/evejobs subreddit and immediately became intrigued by the possibility of joining this corp! I just chatted with TBert and Hotsync in the public channel and that has only made me more interested. As you've probably guessed, my character is Dmitri Blok and I'm a fairly new player to the game. Technically I started back towards the end of 2014, but I put the game down for loooong time beginning in the early summer of 2015. I was part of a small and friendly WH corp at the time, and recently found the allure of EVE to be stronger than I remember, prompting me to return to the game. But alas, the members of my former corp have all gone inactive, forcing me to leave and seek out a new one. I was eager to look for people to fly with, so I just joined a recommended corp in the corp window in EVE. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like my current corp is very active during my time zone :(

While my EVE history is not really pvp-focused, it has become an interest of mine and I'd like to participate in and actively contribute to a pvp-focused corp and eventually improve my pvp gameplay. I imagine that having a few mentors and good FCs can't hurt :). Right now, I'm skilled mostly into the Tengu as well as a few Minmatar ships, with a focus on ratting and exploration. I feel that my previous experience in W-space has given me a good sense of how to survive in null/WHs and I'm partially seeking the thrills of null sec by applying to this corp. Another thing that made that recruitment ad stand out to me was the Blades of Grass code of conduct; it struck me as exactly the mindset I would like to see from myself and my fellow capsuleers!

About me

I'm an undergrad college student taking some time off from my school, the Olin College of Engineering. Outside EVE, I'm an avid cyclist and am currently working at a local bike shop while working on a few personal projects before returning to school. Obviously, I'm also a gamer, and I seem to find that I play relatively few games, but tend to get really serious about them. Among those games are EVE, DotA, War Thunder, Super Smash Bros: Project M, and board games. I'm also about to start a DnD campaign with a few friends of mine.

If you have any questions, ask away! I excited by the opportunity to join such an organized and classy group of people!

Best,

Dmitri

Welcome!  Was good talking with you last night.  I have a few questions to get you started:

• How do you make isk to sustain yourself in game?
  • how familiar are you with jump clones?
  • Have you ever gone on a pvp "roam"?
  • in previous corps did you use voice coms? If so which ones?
  • What is your favourite movie of 2016?  How about least favourite?
  • What keeps your interest outside of eve as your passion?
  • What is your favourite ship to,fly and why?

o/ Dmitri, I look forward to flying with you! I've got a pop quiz related to Hotsync's PVP roam question.

Say your novice FC gets the fleet trapped in a choke point and there's a 50 man Provi gang on the other side of your only gate out. Do you:

A) Die gloriously with your compatriots.

B) Peace out/safe log

C) Announce yourself as a Provi spy

D) Lead a mutiny, headshot FC

1 hour ago, Hotsync said:

Welcome!  Was good talking with you last night.  I have a few questions to get you started:

• How do you make isk to sustain yourself in game?
  • how familiar are you with jump clones?
  • Have you ever gone on a pvp "roam"?
  • in previous corps did you use voice coms? If so which ones?
  • What is your favourite movie of 2016?  How about least favourite?
  • What keeps your interest outside of eve as your passion?
  • What is your favourite ship to,fly and why?

Thanks Hotsync, I enjoyed talking with you as well.

To answer those questions:

• Mostly through ratting, although it depends on where I am. In high sec, I run missions but in low, null, or W-space, it's a combination of ratting, exploration, and some occasional mining/gas huffing.
  • I'm very familiar with how jump clones work but I haven't really been able to make use of them. While I was living in a WH, most activities were conducted in the wormhole or neighboring ones, so having a jump clone(s) in K-space didn't make a ton of sense since using it meant I basically wasn't participating in the corp. And in K-space, I primarily run missions, so I haven't used jump clones for pvping or anything like that.
  • Never been on a roam. I don't really have a reason why, just haven't done it I guess. I do have an idea of how it works though, fleet compositions and such.
  • Yes, we used voice comms. In the WH corp, we used TS3 in fleets, but pretty much only in fleets. Since then, I've found out about Discord, which I find wonderful and would immediately recommend to anyone. It's also what my current corp uses, and everyone logs into a voice channel whenever they're playing.
  • Well, I have say, I though Rogue One was pretty great, but that's at the top of my mind since I saw it recently. I think if I wracked my brains some more, I might come up with another one. This is also in part due to my watching a number of good TV series this year (Westworld, anyone?). Least favorite? Oh god, it has to be Independence Day: Resurgence. That thing was excruciating to watch. If any of you have seen it, you know what I'm talking about. Otherwise, do you self a favor and never watch it.
  • My main passion is bicycles, and all things bicycle related. In addition to working in a local bike shop, I also volunteer at a non-profit that teaches people how to work on their own bikes and offers a friendly workshop setting. Recently, I've invested in some raw materials with which I plan to build a bicycle frame jig, which is a tool used to hold together the tubes in a bicycle frame when welding or brazing it together. After that's done, I'll build myself a custom bike frame.
  • Hurricane. There's a silly reason for this and it's that I like the appearance of the Hurricane. It looks like a mini Star Destroyer. I mean how cool is that? I generally enjoy flying ships that I find visually appealing even if I can't spend a ton of time looking at them. I guess it just makes me feel good to know that the ship I fly isn't just a blob-shaped hunk of metal :p.

52 minutes ago, Mathias Pitsman said:

The eve questions are mostly covered so in that light. 

What is your opinion on the glorious sport that is hockey?

Fixy or 10 speed?

What were/are you studying at Olin?

Well, not too familiar with hockey to be honest. I've watched a couple of games, including a few live, but on the whole I'm not very familiar with it. I will say that the fights are entertaining to watch, to say the least :D.

There was a time when I would have picked a fixed gear over a road bike, but having ridden a good deal of fixed, I'd now choose a geared bike any day. Fixed gears are really fun, but I live in New England, where the hills are short, but very steep. I mostly ride road and do a good deal of commuting but recently I've been craving dirt. Coming from mostly road riding, I'm drawn to cyclocross and gravel riding, but who knows, maybe I'll find myself riding a mountain bike one of these days.

My major is Mechanical Engineering, although it's possible that may change in the upon returning in the future. Fortunately, Olin makes it very easy to switch fields of study. I'm kinda hoping that ME will lead me to a job in the bicycle industry.

It seems like the other dudes have covered most of everything.  Nice to see you on the forum Dmitri, and I look forward to flying with you in game.

I guess my one bike related question is...are tassels coming out of the handlebars too much bling or are they okay if I color coordinate them with the bell and basket on the front?  (kidding.  rock on with your cycling self).

42 minutes ago, Simone said:

o/ Dmitri, I look forward to flying with you! I've got a pop quiz related to Hotsync's PVP roam question.

Say your novice FC gets the fleet trapped in a choke point and there's a 50 man Provi gang on the other side of your only gate out. Do you:

A) Die gloriously with your compatriots.

B) Peace out/safe log

C) Announce yourself as a Provi spy

D) Lead a mutiny, headshot FC

Since you say gloriously, I pick A. If choice A did not specify "gloriously" and only said "Die with your compatriots" I might have to pick D :p.

5 hours ago, Oshri Paliako said:

It seems like the other dudes have covered most of everything.  Nice to see you on the forum Dmitri, and I look forward to flying with you in game.

I guess my one bike related question is...are tassels coming out of the handlebars too much bling or are they okay if I color coordinate them with the bell and basket on the front?  (kidding.  rock on with your cycling self).

Oh, so this is your bike. Pretty cool, I have to admit, you pull it off amazingly well.