[EVE] A Beginner's Guide to Plyn

Plyn

Hello everyone! I found this group through reddit's r/evejobs board, where one of your people responded encouraging me to check out this group. Having done a little bit of sleuthing about SoH, as well as Blades of Grass, I have to say I am pretty excited at the prospect of getting to play with you all. The community and atmosphere sound like they would be a great fit.

I'm 31 years old and a parent to two lovely kiddos (daughter 6, son 3). I work in a senior technology position in the research integrity office of the local university managing a couple of servers, some specialized software, and working with groups involving regulatory requirements (IACUC, IBC, IRB, EHS... if you know what these stand for you get the idea :P) It can be pretty stressful sometimes, but it keeps everyone fed. I usually feel like I'm doing poorly, but the people I work with seem to think I'm indispensable. My boyfriend claims this is imposter syndrome, but having looked it up I firmly reject the notion, as that would imply that I am, in fact, not just super lucky and barely scraping by.

Beyond playing EVE my hobbies include:

• Alcohol
  • Cleaning up dog poop
  • Sighing in frustration as I discover my son has dumped out the tote of clean laundry I *just*now*brought*upstairs*
  • Roleplaying on DayZ
  • Computer stuff (hardware and software both)
  • A friend recently purchased ARMA 3 for me, so I've been getting into that a little even though I am the worst at PC FPS
  • Hiking!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Trying, desperately, to convince my daughter it is actually her bed time
  • I used to LARP some but haven't gone in a while (MES, UT, held local leadership positions in each at different points)
  • And pondering if the wet spot I just walked through is dog urine, people urine, or just a spilled cup (for sanity reasons I usually lean towards the cup, but I think we all know the truth)

I love punk and when I can manage to go out I go to dive bars. Usually this is immediately after work, so I'm probably a little over dressed. Oh well.

When it comes to EVE itself, I am an on again off again pilot of over ten years now. I have three main characters on their own omega accounts:

Plyn is my original, a thanny pilot that can do probably ~90% of subcap ships as well. I've gone by this name in different games for wow almost two decades at this point. Got my start in a roleplay group that was fighting for Gallente control of Placid before FW was even an idea to CCP. Went on to do so many different things in this game...

Ormus Montgo was my brother-in-law's character, who quit playing and gave the character to me because why not, and he likes the idea the character is still out there somewhere. Ormus flys a thanny and also a moros. He can also do a wealth of subcaps, but leans more gal/min.

Artanis Vaille was a cyno alt that I ended up doing some extra training on because if you're already running the account to light candles you might as well train something. Nowadays he mines a little for me when I'm feeling lazy.

When it comes to PvP I like to do support roles over dps: Logi, ewar, hic/dic, scout, tackle, probing etc. I'm not an elite pvper by any stretch, but I am good at following protocol and orders, can pilot my ship in fleet situations without just anchoring, and am not at all afraid to die if things go south. I enjoy a good defense fleet, because being reactionary you get to pick ships that make sense against what they have brought. I don't care for ti-di, but sometimes it's a thing.

For isk generation I enjoy doing anomalies and belt ratting. Artanis can mine in an exhumer and Ormus isn't far off from it, but that isn't so much a get rich thing as it is something I can do on the side or when I want something a little less clicky. I do exploration some, and have WH experience, so that's a thing too if people are into it.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that is one impressively thorough intro. Bravo/brava.  

A few questions:

Favorite fleet beverage?

Favorite taco?

Your FC warps your fleet right on top of an arty cane fleet, you notice they all start locking up your osprey.  How do you react when over comms you hear Oshri say, 'thank Bob it's not me this time!'?

Welcome!

I have a few questions as well:

• Favorite ship to fly?  Followup question:  Why and how did you grow to love it?
  • Favorite current TV series?
  • Pie or Cake?
  • How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

15 minutes ago, Oshri Paliako said:

Well, that is one impressively thorough intro. Bravo/brava.  

A few questions:

Favorite fleet beverage?

Favorite taco?

Your FC warps your fleet right on top of an arty cane fleet, you notice they all start locking up your osprey.  How do you react when over comms you hear Oshri say, 'thank Bob it's not me this time!'?

Fleet beverage is hard to say a favorite. Most often it's vodka, but bourbon (neat), beer (IPA or sour), or wine (Riesling, Moscato, Pinot Grigio, Merlot) are all options

Favorite taco is carnitas on flour. Greasy. With cheese. I do have an aversion to cilantro, though. If I'm making them myself I usually do chicken, though, because it is a lot less work. In this case I'll do corn tortillas and sometimes I fry them a bit in a cast iron skillet.

"I'll pass the message along for you ;)"

9 minutes ago, Hotsync said:

Welcome!

I have a few questions as well:

• Favorite ship to fly?  Followup question:  Why and how did you grow to love it?
  • Favorite current TV series?
  • Pie or Cake?
  • How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

My favorite ship is the Thanatos. I found it browsing through ships when I very first started playing and fell in love with it. I decided right then and there that someday I would have one. Ishtar is probably my most piloted ship, though. The "nerf" to it hasn't bothered me much, because I always liked to armor tank it anyways (I'm a blasphemer, I know)

Favorite current TV series.... I don't do a whole lot of TV but started the Santa Clarita Diet the other night and omg it is hilarious. Supernatural is a long standing favorite of mine.

Pie. Cake is fine too, but in smaller amounts for me, plz... both pair well with icecream

I read an article, I think on Cracked, the other day that referenced a peer-reviewed scientific article RE: the amount of wood a woodchuck could chuck. I can't remember the outcome, so I'm gonna' say 15.

2 minutes ago, Scynner said:

Welcome!  Have you played the Breaking Point mod in Arma 3?  I spent a good deal of time playing that. 

What kind of dog do you have?

I haven't gotten to try Breaking Point yet, I don't think. We've exclusively been on an Exile PVE server since I started with a bunch of mods for roaming AI and missions and such. I'm pretty new to that game, but having some fun when we do it.

My Roxie is a gorgeous fawn colored pit. She looks like she might have a bit of lab in her, but hard to say. She was a rescue and is skittish around strangers, but she is such a big baby lol.

Cool, a fellow punk fan! Based on your age, I'm guessing we both spent our formative years listening to Rancid, NoFX, etc.? Related, I'm going to my first Me First and the Gimme Gimmes concert in April, 20 years late and super excited haha. Hope to talk to you in game soon!

25 minutes ago, Oshri Paliako said:

Haha poor Oshri, we did jump those canes like a pack of rabid dogs though :D

6 minutes ago, Simone said:

Indeed you did, and it was a fun fleet. I'm just going to start broadcasting for reps when I undock since I can't seem to keep an osprey alive :D

And Plyn, great answers. I think we'll get along great at least when it comes to drinks and food.

Edited by Oshri Paliako
Words

7 minutes ago, Simone said:

Cool, a fellow punk fan! Based on your age, I'm guessing we both spent our formative years listening to Rancid, NoFX, etc.? Related, I'm going to my first Me First and the Gimme Gimmes concert in April, 20 years late and super excited haha. Hope to talk to you in game soon!

Your list is spot on :) NoFX has, in particular, dominated my listening for a great deal of my life. I also adore the Pixies, but more of Doolittle and less of Where is My Mind

3 hours ago, Plyn said:

My Roxie is a gorgeous fawn colored pit.

We had a pit/Aussie shepherd mix that was ALSO named Roxie. She was black with a white chest though. Had to give her back to her original owner when the Army decided to send us to Maryland (they don't like pits). :(

4 hours ago, Plyn said:
  • Trying, desperately, to convince my daughter it is actually her bed time

*emphathizes*

4 hours ago, Plyn said:
  • Sighing in frustration as I discover my son has dumped out the tote of clean laundry I *just*now*brought*upstairs*

*continues to empathize*

5 hours ago, Plyn said:

My boyfriend claims this is imposter syndrome, but having looked it up I firmly reject the notion, as that would imply that I am, in fact, not just super lucky and barely scraping by.

I just read the Wikipedia article, then spun around in my computer chair and asked my wife if she knew what 'Imposter Syndrome' is. She rolled her eyes, asked if I was serious, then told me my 'white cisgender male privilege' was showing. :lol:

Random questions!

Do you prefer flat hikes or some elevation?

Have a good story where you dropped your Thanatos in combat?

What's your favorite threat to get your kids to do something? I love telling mine I'm going to throw them out the window or make them sleep outside.

40 minutes ago, Tyrlis said:

We had a pit/Aussie shepherd mix that was ALSO named Roxie. She was black with a white chest though. Had to give her back to her original owner when the Army decided to send us to Maryland (they don't like pits). :(

*emphathizes*

*continues to empathize*

I just read the Wikipedia article, then spun around in my computer chair and asked my wife if she knew what 'Imposter Syndrome' is. She rolled her eyes, asked if I was serious, then told me my 'white cisgender male privilege' was showing. :lol:

Random questions!

Do you prefer flat hikes or some elevation?

Have a good story where you dropped your Thanatos in combat?

What's your favorite threat to get your kids to do something? I love telling mine I'm going to throw them out the window or make them sleep outside.

We had another pit named Stella who was black with a splash of white on her chest. She and Roxie got along well for a long time but then eventually started fighting. She was recently re-homed to a family we know that is a fantastic fit for her, but we miss her and my son keeps asking where she is. They are a good fit for her, though, and it's better for both the dogs and us, as having to keep them separated wasn't just a pain on us, but meant that one or the other had to constantly take turns being put up.

For hiking I prefer lots of ups and downs. I used to do a lot of backpacking when I was young, so the day trips I manage to squeeze in these days need to feel like they have some bonus adventure. Depending on time I usually aim for something 5-15 miles that is considered strenuous. There are some shorter/easier trails I take people on if they haven't done much hiking before, though.

I'm afraid I don't have any good war stories for my capital ships. Mostly structure bashing or waiting to be cyno'd in when escalation might be needed, but it just didn't happen in those instances. I guess I can fly FAX too; I keep forgetting they split carriers into two different kinds of ships. My most recent hiatus was a bit longer than I would have liked and I've been catching up on changes. I used to be a lot more risk averse than I am now, so I'm hoping for opportunities to do more stuff, at least when the situation is appropriate.

I don't do much threatening with the kids. I'll admit to being the pushover parent sometimes. Mostly it's just timeouts or taking away TV (doesn't work on the little one).