Rahk Aorm

Rahk Aorm

Hello! I've been looking for a group to join to play EVE for a while now, and I saw your post on Reddit, which lead me to apply. Little did I know I had stumbled upon such a great community!

First, my tags range from Rahk on Eve, Dayne on Blizzard games, and Verse on just about everything else. You can probably just call me Matt.

I'm a pretty avid gamer as time permits, playing games like Stardew Valley, Skyrim, Witcher, Overwatch, CSGO, and League of Legends (a lot, once, not at all anymore). Here's my steam profile if anyone is interested. I've been playing Eve off and on probably since 2009 when I started my trial. Unfortunately, I've never found a group to play with, perhaps because I was intimidated by the application process / put off by the suspicion that the groups viewed the applications. I'm looking forward to having a fleet to jump on with and fly around. 

Why did I get into Eve? Spaceships. I just really like spaceships. Along with everyone else playing this game. Most of my playtime has been spent exploring, and that's where most of my skill points have gone, other than some combat skills which I thought would be handy. I've also dipped into a few base mining, PI, and freighting skills. I've honestly just been following the ship mastery certificates for the Firetail and Astero. I have a second pilot that I used the month of free dual skill training on to get her into the skills for moving stuff around efficiently. I heard this was a good thing for FW pilots.
My favourite ship is the Astero, (check out this Eve Reader short story about the Astero it's fantastic), and then probably the Firetail. I'd like to get into a Sabre at one point since they seem pretty fun. I tend to lean towards fast moving ships. I have five or six fully kitted firetails ready to go. I've flown around a few times, but I haven't lost one yet.

Outside of games, I work as a software engineer in western Canada, where I've helped build a company from the start, which has been a cool experience. I'm in my mid 20's, have an awesome dog, and am married to my best friend. She's a paramedic, so my gaming schedule tends to rotate around her shifts (she works four days at a time away from home, so that's when I game the most).

Other random things (I'm going to cheat a bit);

• I like my coffee freshly ground and straight from a french press
  • My favourite tacos are soft-shelled fish tacos
  • Favorite beverages are scotch, bourbon, and craft beer
  • I started working out regularly after I broke my leg in 2015, and have seen some significant improvements.

5 hours ago, Rahk Aorm said:
  • I like my coffee freshly ground and straight from a french press
  • My favourite tacos are soft-shelled fish tacos
  • Favorite beverages are scotch, bourbon, and craft beer

Well, now I have nothing to ask.  I vote no.

Kidding!

Welcome.  That was a great intro post.  It definitely sounds like you've found what you like to do in Eve, and given your answers above (and in the rest of your post) you're mine kind of people.  That said, I do have one question...

FW is a great opportunity for solo and small gang piloting, but also there is the Empire vs. Empire dynamic, which means at times jumping into a larger fleet to defend assets vital to the Militia.  Given this, what role do you think you'd like to fill in these fleets a) mainline dps say a Battle Cruiser/Battleship, b) Logi, c) Recon, d) E-War or e) to heck with larger fleets and why?

Have a great day and I hope to fly with you soon.

Hi Rakh! Nice to see you here, and great intro post. I especially like that you anticipated Oshri's inevitable taco question :D

Frigs are great fun, we've always go at least a couple along on our null sec roams. A couple weeks ago, we were doing pretty much nothing but frigs and dessies in Black Rise. Check out our killboard from mid to late October, I bet we lost 150+ frigates haha. Have you trained any of the specialized frigates (especially Interceptors or Electronic Attack Ships), and have you trained any of the frigate skills to V?

If you we're going to fly a frigate that vaguely resembled a breakfast item, which would it be? 

We have a fleet out of Jita tonight at 0230 Eve time, you're welcome to join us! If you can make it, we'll want to meet up with you a bit early if possible (0210?) so we can get you set up on our mumble server and find a ship for you (the firetails you have might work, but it'll be like starting on expert mode!). 

Welcome here!  That was a great intro post and gives me a sense that you would fit in very well with this group. :)

Is your character currently in / able to join the Caldari Militia?

What sort of software does your company make?

I am looking forward to flying with you soon!  I do feel obliged to warn folks that our Friday fleets tend toward sloshy. :beer::drink:

Well, what is your favourite taco, @Oshri Paliako?

8 hours ago, Oshri Paliako said:

What role do you think you'd like to fill in these fleets:

a) mainline dps say a Battle Cruiser/Battleship,

b) Logi,

c) Recon,

d) E-War

e) to heck with larger fleets and why?

I've always aimed towards the Recon role when I'm daydreaming. I wouldn't mind trying out Logi as well, seems like fun. I think I romanticise the recon role a bit, but I understand it is an important contribution and easy to mess up. It fits with my tendency to fly fast-movers.

29 minutes ago, Ashin said:

Is your character currently in / able to join the Caldari Militia?

I should be good. I'm currently flying around Stacmon / Ostingele, but I haven't joined up with any faction yet. I was actually scouting out the Black Shark Cult, which IIRC is in calmil as well, but they were based right outside of the galmil staging systems. I've mostly just been roaming into Syndicate and Cloud Ring from there, trying to find exploration sites.

6 hours ago, Simone said:

If you we're going to fly a frigate that vaguely resembled a breakfast item, which would it be? 

I think I'd make a beautiful crepe with mushrooms and tomatoes, and then I would roll it up, stick rusty nails into it, wrap it in duct tape and then call it a Rifter.

29 minutes ago, Ashin said:

What sort of software does your company make?

We make software for car dealerships, helping them quote payments to customers. It has been very rewarding and challenging, and I love it. We've been trying to make a product that stands out compared to other offerings of the same nature, and I think we are succeeding.

6 hours ago, Simone said:

We have a fleet out of Jita tonight at 0230 Eve time, you're welcome to join us! If you can make it, we'll want to meet up with you a bit early if possible (0210?) so we can get you set up on our mumble server and find a ship for you (the firetails you have might work, but it'll be like starting on expert mode!). 

Unfortunately, a good friend of mine is getting married this weekend, so my actual playtime is limited. It'll be back to normal on Monday. 

Also, one Fenrir sized Atron or one hundred Atron sized Fenrirs?

22 minutes ago, Rahk Aorm said:

Well, what is your favourite taco, @Oshri Paliako?

Also, one Fenrir sized Atron or one hundred Atron sized Fenrirs?

The taco that's in my mouth. That said if I had to pick...birria with pickled red onion in corn tortilla is my current favorite.  

100 atron-sized Fenrirs - think of the cargo capacity and small sig radius.

Enjoy the wedding! I'll catch up with you when you get back. Our next fleet is Tuesday night at 0300. It's a frig roam in FW low sec, so you should probably join the militia if you plan on joining. 

4 hours ago, Rahk Aorm said:

To answer the question about Command skills, I have:

• Mini, Gallente, Amarr Frigate to 4, Caldari Frigate to 3
  • Mini, Caldari Destroyer to 3
  • Caldari Cruiser to 3

Good news, bad news. Bad news first, you'll probably want to to look at training at least one frigate, destroyer, and cruiser hull to V in the over the next couple months.  The good news is that I took a look at your API and your support skills are in pretty great shape, so it's not going to take much focused training to get you in to really solid PvP fits. We'll help you pick some ships that we fly regularly to train towards. 

Had fun in the fleet tonight! I'll keep trying until I get that firetail. Thanks for the ship Simone, I'll try not to lose it too quickly.

I took another brawler firetail out, had a couple good fights, almost killed a Griffen. Actually! I managed to kill him. That scram is damn annoying. I didn't overheat again, whoops. https://zkillboard.com/kill/66121709/