Cohort Proposal - ESO

Simone

Hello!

I'd like to kick off the brave new world of SOH cohorts (https://www.sohguild.com/index.php?/topic/19606-south-of-heaven-reimagined/) by proposing a PC/NA cohort for The Elder Scrolls Online (ESO). 

What is ESO?

ESO is themepark MMO based on the Elder Scrolls universe (think Skyrim, Oblivion, etc.). It's buy to play with an optional subscription, DLC, and a recent paid expansion. It's one of the better buy to play MMOs in terms of business model (in my opinion anyway). The cash shop is relatively unobtrusive and the subscription feels truly optional. 

It's mechanics are largely familiar to any MMO veteran. The combat is action based and works great with a controller. Two areas where it stands out from other themeparks are character skill customization and scaling content. Without getting too into the weeds, each class can perform the classic mmo roles (tank, healer, dps). Some classes are better suited for one role over another, but there's a a lot of room to experiment and customize. I've also found the scaling content to be very well implemented. Players are free to explore every area of the game at any level (outside of the "hardmode" group content and raids). 

What Would an SOH ESO Cohort Look Like?

With the caveat that I think the direction of any cohort should be determined by it's future members, here are some of my ideas for an ESO cohort. 

- Super casual, built around weekly/twice weekly dungeon and world boss runs.

- Focus on enjoying all the game has to offer/avoiding the "race to endgame" trap.

- As much as possible, keep guild activities open to all skill and character levels. ESO makes this pretty easy.

Consideration - World PvP participation is locked to your alliance (there are three). If we want to PvP together, we need to be in the same alliance. Alliance is irrelevant for everything else.

So, any takers? Leave a comment here if you'd like to see an SOH ESO cohort.

Edited by Simone
  • Thanks 1

I know for a fact I have played this at some point in my life... because I remember thinking that Jennifer Hale phoned it in for her character in the prologue sequence... but I can remember literally nothing else about this game. When did I play? What did I play as? What was my account? Did I like it? Mysteries for the ages...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Elend said:

Kytn and I were playing this a little bit casually in December. I think we were looking to play it again soon so more people to play with would be nice :) 

We are playing on the Aldmeri Dominion.

Yessss I'm all about this!! Gotta get my Khajiit going again. :D 

20 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

When did I play? What did I play as? What was my account? Did I like it?

Okay well I was bored enough to do some digging! I played in March of 2015, but probably not for very long. I have five characters, ranging in level from 3 to 10. So... I probably didn't find a class I loved, yeah? Not that I even remember how the class system works...

I might poke more at it later. I'd hate to think I downloaded ~80GB for nothing.

20 hours ago, Rhiannon said:

I know for a fact I have played this at some point in my life... because I remember thinking that Jennifer Hale phoned it in for her character in the prologue sequence... but I can remember literally nothing else about this game. When did I play? What did I play as? What was my account? Did I like it? Mysteries for the ages...

I laughed pretty good when I saw this. Jennifer Hale's and John Cleese's VO roles were definitely some of the more forgettable parts of the game haha. So bad it stuck with you for a couple years!

9 hours ago, Kytn said:

Yessss I'm all about this!! Gotta get my Khajiit going again. :D 

On 1/24/2018 at 6:45 PM, Elend said:

Kytn and I were playing this a little bit casually in December. I think we were looking to play it again soon so more people to play with would be nice :) 

We are playing on the Aldmeri Dominion.

Wooooooo sounds good! Maybe you two would like to be the second and third vets for the cohort...:D Also, damn, my characters are all Ebonheart or Daggerfall. No big deal though, my highest character is only level 37. I'll just make a new Aldmeri character if we want to PvP. 

I'd be into this too, especially if it was pretty casual. I played during the beta, and then eventually broke down and got the pre-Morrowind complete pack. I'm still low level and Ebonheart though, so if we're all going Aldmeri just let me know and I'll roll something up!

56 minutes ago, Gul said:

I'd be into this too, especially if it was pretty casual. I played during the beta, and then eventually broke down and got the pre-Morrowind complete pack. I'm still low level and Ebonheart though, so if we're all going Aldmeri just let me know and I'll roll something up!

Sweeeeeeet - yeah definitely casual. One or two organized groups a week for dungeons. We'll look to fit the night in around existing event nights in other games. 

I'd say we shouldn't worry too much about which alliance we're in since our focus will probably be casual pve.