Hello from the Great White North!

Oolong

Good day from the prairies of Canada!

I am giving a write-up in hopes of joining you all in the fantastic world of Elder Scrolls Online, where I am a returning player of a not too long of an absence. 

I am an avid gamer of multiple systems, mainly the PS4, Switch, and PC. Used to have an Xbox 360 but after awhile Microsoft never really put out anything that piqued my interest to but the newer systems. 

I love exploring game worlds, so am very much looking forward to getting back into ESO, after exploring the lands of Hyrule for awhile in Breath of the Wild. 

IRL I am male (he/him) that lives with my partner of 14 years, in Alberta Canada. I am technically a retired pensioner at 34 years old - having been medically discharged from my 911 post of 10 years in 2016.  I spend a lot of time at home and on the computer due to mental disabilities that prevent me from really interacting with the outside world by myself. Online gaming lets me get out of my head and not let my head take control and push me where it wants to go all the time. 

Now with that being said, I am not a fragile snowflake, that needs to be tip-toed around. I am human with a sense of humor and like to get to know people; play with them in an online environment where everyone is enjoying themselves. 

I have two dogs that I adore to death (sorry to the cat-loving folk, I can tolerate felines but never wish to own one). Both are boston terriers, one is 10 and the other is 2. You may hear them occasionally when they decide to scrap over a deer antler. Speaking of being heard in the background, I do also have a cockatiel with an attitude near my computer and sometimes she thinks she has to be louder than everything around her....so expect some chirping to be heard in discord. 

I want to note that the thing that really drew me here to poke Fera in discord (thanks for guiding me here) was the write up about the 5 dirty words of gaming (I think that was the title...my short term memory is somewhat lacking due to above mentioned mental illness). I am of the LGBT community and I don't know how many times I have found groups that would get into a PvP match and just let "Come here you little faggot," or "He killed me with a knife, that was gay" just roll off the tips of their tongues like it was nothing. Seeing the post and the response it got really cemented my decision to come here. 

Ok! So I am not sure if I have said enough, or too much...but I am going to end it here. Happy to have had the chance to say hello, and meet some of you in Tamriel!

Thanks for your time, 

Justin

ESO Tag: @Oolong

Discord: @Zods#2087

Hi! welcome ~ Looking forward to seeing you in discord - We demand animal pix a lot but do note that a lot of us are crazy cat ladies and cat pix dominate our discord.

If you were a video game protagonist, which would you be and why? 

What are your thoughts on poutine being served with tater tots instead of fries? 

How many maple trees are there in Canada and do you think the Canadian army is doing a good job guarding them? 

Hi Oolong and welcome to the guild! Glad to have you here and I look forward to meeting you in game soon! I'll send you an invite tonight (if Fera hasn't sent one already). I'll also send you a short PM here on the forums with some standard new recruit info.

It's SoH tradition to ask new recruits a series of (mostly silly) questions, so prepare yourself! My questions are:

- I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're a tea fan (based on username?). Same here, always been a tea guy. Have you ever had a tea latte, and if so, which tea variety is best in the latte? (Kind of a high risk question since it's entirely possible your not actually all that into tea!)

- What class and level is your ESO main, and does it ride a camel?

- Does your cockatiel talk at all, and does it say anything embarrassing? My parents have an Amazon that at one point learned to mimic the playboy channel. Now, its favorite thing to do is mimic the way my mom talks on the phone: "Oh, yea, HAHAHA, oh, oh, HAHAHA" on a loop.

18 minutes ago, Mina said:

Hi! welcome ~ Looking forward to seeing you in discord - We demand animal pix a lot but do note that a lot of us are crazy cat ladies and cat pix dominate our discord.

If you were a video game protagonist, which would you be and why? 

Oh wow, that is a good question. Also a hard one. I would have to say Toad from the Super Mario universe. Fraught with anxiety, kinda just hanging out in the background, but still able to go ahead and check out those castles to make sure the princess isn't there, and direct Mario to another castle where I find a shortcut to and check it out for the princess.... a close second would be Link from the Legend of Zelda universe. Quiet and composed but lets out a HYAH or WHOOP at inopportune times. 

What are your thoughts on poutine being served with tater tots instead of fries? 

Super delicious! Poutine, in general, is just good - can be served on steak fries, tater tots, standard fries, crinkle cut fries, shoestring fries.....

How many maple trees are there in Canada and do you think the Canadian army is doing a good job guarding them? 

Where I am, there are no sugar maples. Those are all down east so I have no idea. Never seen a grove of them in my life. To be honest, people can have them, I like fake maple flavouring over real maple syrup. To me, it just tastes like thin molasses. Would much rather have Aunt Jamima on my pancakes. 

18 minutes ago, Simone said:

Hi Oolong and welcome to the guild! Glad to have you here and I look forward to meeting you in game soon! I'll send you an invite tonight (if Fera hasn't sent one already). I'll also send you a short PM here on the forums with some standard new recruit info.

It's SoH tradition to ask new recruits a series of (mostly silly) questions, so prepare yourself! My questions are:

- I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're a tea fan (based on username?). Same here, always been a tea guy. Have you ever had a tea latte, and if so, which tea variety is best in the latte? (Kind of a high risk question since it's entirely possible your not actually all that into tea!)

You are the first person to get the tea reference. Most people think it refers to the Dragon Ball Z guy. I love tea! I am a huge fan of most of the varieties with Oolong being my favorite. If you or anyone has a tea question go ahead and ask, I should know the answer. Some tips for tea: Green tea is delicate, if you pour boiling water on it you actually scald the tea making it taste acrid and bitter. It should be brewed at about 74 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal flavour. Also NEVER!!! Squeeze a tea bag if you use them, it puts more tannins in the cup and you make it more bitter and get that astringent feeling in your mouth after a sip. 

Ok as for a latte, nothing beats matcha. I love a lightly sweetened matcha latte. It is also healthy for you as well as you are consuming the entire tea leaf getting more antioxidants out of the tea than if you had just steeped it. 

- What class and level is your ESO main, and does it ride a camel?

I have a 50 Templar with like 27 CP on him. I wanted to play a healer but after seeing some dungeons I gave up on that idea as it seemed too stressful to be fun. So! I am going to be starting a brand new Magicka Mage and do some DPS instead. 

Thankfully I have never gotten a camel mount. I got a couple cool crate ones....fire wolf, nature wolf and bear, and a lightning one that I can't remember exactly what one it is. 

- Does your cockatiel talk at all, and does it say anything embarrassing? My parents have an Amazon that at one point learned to mimic the playboy channel. Now, it's favorite thing to do is mimic the way my mom talks on the phone: "Oh, yea, HAHAHA, oh, oh, HAHAHA" on a loop.

I think she can say pretty bird, and that is about it. They sound a bit different than the larger parrots so I can't tell. I used to have a Senegal Parrot that said "Don't eat me." though.....

I got the tea reference straight away, too ^^ Long time lover of Oolong, and Earl Grey, and Mate, and Darjeeling, and even regular stuffs too!

I had to laugh and reread your OP... thought you said you had a cocktail with an attitude by your computer. I wanted to know exactly what kind of cocktail you had b/c I wanted to try one! xD

LOL @ the parrot talk! Cya in game ^^

1 minute ago, Fera said:

I got the tea reference straight away, too ^^ Long time lover of Oolong, and Earl Grey, and Mate, and Darjeeling, and even regular stuffs too!

I had to laugh and reread your OP... thought you said you had a cocktail with an attitude by your computer. I wanted to know exactly what kind of cocktail you had b/c I wanted to try one! xD

LOL @ the parrot talk! Cya in game ^^

I sometimes I have a cocktail with an attitude by me...not often though. I love me a Ceaser (Clamato Juice, Worcestershire Sauce, Tobasco, vodka, rimmed with celery salt)...or a margarita....

1 hour ago, Oolong said:

Oh wow, that is a good question. Also a hard one. I would have to say Toad from the Super Mario universe. Fraught with anxiety, kinda just hanging out in the background, but still able to go ahead and check out those castles to make sure the princess isn't there, and direct Mario to another castle where I find a shortcut to and check it out for the princess.... a close second would be Link from the Legend of Zelda universe. Quiet and composed but lets out a HYAH or WHOOP at inopportune times. 

Super delicious! Poutine, in general, is just good - can be served on steak fries, tater tots, standard fries, crinkle cut fries, shoestring fries.....

Where I am, there are no sugar maples. Those are all down east so I have no idea. Never seen a grove of them in my life. To be honest, people can have them, I like fake maple flavouring over real maple syrup. To me, it just tastes like thin molasses. Would much rather have Aunt Jamima on my pancakes. 

Following your responses I have to ask.... are you actually Canadian? 

Hello potential new friend!

On 3/7/2018 at 6:03 PM, Oolong said:

You are the first person to get the tea reference. Most people think it refers to the Dragon Ball Z guy.

My son watched Dragonball Z religiously when he was much younger but I just couldn't get into it. I'll be the 3rd person to chime in that I immediately thought of tea. I guess you're in the right place! I'm a chai drinker myself, though I can get down with some green tea or Earl Grey as well.

Random questions!

I'm from Northeast Wisconsin and we have a weird habit that I think may have Canadian roots. Whenever we bump into somebody in a doorway or a corner, we say 'ope, excuse me' or 'ope, sorry'. Is that Canadian or just some weird Minnesotan/Wisconsinite thing?

Marvel or DC?

Ranch or Italian dressing?