Hi

breeze108

Hi, I'm a bit new to MMO games, mostly playing single player, so this is all new to me. I started gaming late in life, my kids are out of college by several years and think I've gone nuts to play at  my age. None of my friends play games too.  I have 550+ hours in Skyrim and have played, don't laugh too hard, Minecraft, for years, I like to build sculptures.  I was a school nurse and the kids got me to try it.  I've been playing ESO for about 4 months and thought it was time to try a guild. Some of the quests are a bit hard alone.

My account name is breeze108 and character name is Harinama. Simone told me you do a map completion event every Thursday. I have no idea what that means.

I'm looking forward to playing with you guys and hope to learn a lot. Like why can't I get a decent bow like in Skyrim.

Hi Breeze! Good to see you here, we'll send you an invite to the guild tonight! When you join, you'll see references to Mumble and Discord in the guild's message of the day. I'm betting you've never used these before since you're new to MMOs (but I could be wrong!). Mumble is a VOIP program we use to chat with each other while we're doing dungeons and quests together. It's generally pretty easy to download and install. It'll ask you to enter our server's IP address and port - that's all in the MOTD (and also this thread that you may or may not be able to see yet: https://www.sohguild.com/index.php?/topic/19841-hi/&tab=comments#comment-278218). It's not an absolute requirement that you use voice chat, but it will make playing with us (and MMOs generally) much more enjoyable for you! Related tip - we all use a "push to talk" hotkey for our microphones, which saves our delicate eardrums from errant sneezes and other unexpected loud noises!

Discord is a text messaging app that we use to chat and plan for groups out of game. It's a great place to get a quick answer for "how do I do X?" type questions, especially if there aren't a lot of people currently online in ESO. It's also very easy to download, and once you have it installed, you just click a link to get an invite to our server. The link is in the guild's MOTD.

I think you'll learn a ton fast, and I bet a few of us can make you a decent bow right away😁. If I remember right, you're around level 20? I can make you one next time I'm going to be online for a bit no problem! I don't think you have the forum permissions to see it yet (an admin will fix that soon), but we have a thread started in our ESO area where we list out all the things that we wished we knew when we started playing: https://www.sohguild.com/index.php?/topic/19805-things-i-wish-i-knew-when-i-started-playing-eso/. I bet a lot of those will be super helpful for you! On map completion: what we mean by that is a group where we seek out areas of the different game maps that have content we can't complete on our own. Usually, that's public dungeons and world bosses - we're trying to finish all those areas for people who want to complete everything there is to do on a given map. (side note: I think map completion is a Guild Wars term that ended up in common mmo lingo, but not 100% on that!) I also have a few general MMO tips I can give you now too:

• MMOs, especially group activities in MMOs, are generally designed around players taking on one of three roles - damage dealer, healer, or tank. The tank is probably the strangest to new mmoers. Their job is get the attention of all the monsters away from the other group members. You'll want to specialize your characters into one of these roles (damage dealer is probably the easiest to start with).
  • Our perspective on the game is totally warped by years of playing MMOs. We have our own MMO lingo (see: map completion) and know certain game concepts by reflex more or less. If we say something strange or you don't understand why we are doing something, feel free to ask us what we're doing/talking about! We'll be super happy to explain what's up, but we may not realize that it was something we need to explain haha!
  • Full disclosure on finding a guild - it's totally fine to shop around! While I truly hope that we end up being the perfect guild for you, I know from ten years of MMO gaming that the first time is not always the charm when it comes to guild hunting. That's OK! Come do some group nights with us, and you'll get a sense quick whether we're a good group for you.

Don’t worry Breeze. I had 2000 hours in a maplestory but that’s supposed to be a secret :)

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Also some strange questions for you...

1. In your opinion, being a school nurse, what was the most insignificant injury (if any) that made you think like “oh come on it’s not even that bad?”

2. Being an actual healer in real life, do you perhaps enjoy being a healer in game?

Hi Breeze! Glad you found us :)

From your story, I swear we could almost be siblings! lol -- I, too, game to gaming late in life (think I was 38 iirc); I'm now 54 and love-love-love it! Nor only do I get to do something I thoroughly enjoy, I get to do it in a pleasant environment w/ people from all over the world. Some folks bowl, others play golf -- gamers game ^^

Simone has proffered a good bit of information and I promise, it will all fall into place soon enough. You learn a TON from chatting w/ other gamers (as I did) so definitely download Mumble (and Discord). Oh, "MOTD" = Message of the Day and can be found in game by pressing G and clicking the house symbol in the upper right corner of the guild tab. Even though I've been playing MMOs for well over a decade now, each new game has different particulars and I found ESO's "particulars" to be somewhat counter-intuitive and woefully unexplained -- that is, until I started chatting up other ESO veterans (like Vaaza, who is a font of information! lol) Anyway, we're all here to help you surmount the learning curve and get the most out of your play time.

Thursday nights I lead an ad hoc group for Public Dungeons, skyshards, and any other incomplete bits n bobs in a given zone (or if there's time). Tonight we'll be smacking Wrothgar. Join us!!

I've altered your forum rank to Recruit so you can poke around a bit and see more of what we're about, and I've sent @breeze108 a guild invite. To accept, while in game press N (for Notifications) and click the check mark (I think). To access guild chat, type /g1 <space> in your chat window. I can show you how to set up a chat channel that prevents the incessant zone chat from obliterating all other relevant messages in your chat window if you like lol

I look forward to grouping with you!

16 hours ago, Vaaza said:

Don’t worry Breeze. I had 2000 hours in a maplestory but that’s supposed to be a secret :)

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better

1. In your opinion, being a school nurse, what was the most insignificant injury (if any) that made you think like “oh come on it’s not even that bad?”

5 year olds crying over a sprinter or scrape I couldn't even see.  Happened a  lot

2. Being an actual healer in real life, do you perhaps enjoy being a healer in game?

Well, when playing single player the only person you heal is yourself, and since that all I've really played, you will have to wait for the answer.  But I think it is something I would like.  But I have heard in PVP they are the first ones the other side goes after.