Singularity80, An Introduction, Undefined

Singularity80

Greetings to everyone of south of heaven...is that a moment to self realize I'm now in hell, or just purgatory?  I'll work on that next time the power goes off.  And no joke, 10 minutes later, my power did go off.  

I happened upon your group after a frustrating search in many directions for some other adults who were playing Destiny 2.  I didn't think anything in the world would be harder than finding my car keys, and that's what I get for thinking.  So I suppose I'll be somewhat concise, otherwise this will start to sound like that person who talks loud enough in airports that ensures the 20 people closest to them are also involved in their conversation.  Normally, I'd go on about how I'm old and crusty in some varying ways, maybe mentioning the Atari 2600 or Crystal Pepsi or Entertech water guns (batteries and water...the 80's was a special time)...but, I suspect my near 38 years of age doesn't make me the oldest 'round these parts perhaps.

I presently work live and work in Kansas City, Missouri, as a contractor doing information architecture stuff.  It puts a roof over my head and my dog and keeps most other problems manageable.  Gaming wise I've seen and played a lot, lately my favorite activity has been killing the backlog of games I've barely touched.  Since January of 2017 I've knocked down 30 games, some classics, some not known at all...and I tried to do Destiny 2 by myself...but, the game just seems rather unwelcoming by yourself.  I've spent some time with ESO as well, and even while it certainly looks enjoyable with friends, it just..."feels" like it welcomes a solo player more.  

Other than that, I guess on a more serious note, just trying to make some gaming friends.  A while ago I realized I only know people who like to talk about games, they don't like to play them.  I spent a lot of time talking as well, and now I'm back to playing.  But, if I continue solo, someday the backlog killing won't be enough, and then I'll be searching for a new hobby.  For now anyway, I'd rather trying to get the most out of this.  Hope to see you all around the Discord soon.

Welcome to our forums! Based on your intro, I think you may just find a great home here!

You've got me beat by a few years, but you are definitely not the oldest! Anyways, as per tradition, I will now asking you a battery of questions and other will likely follow suit so be ready! :D

What's the best BBQ spot in KC?

What were your personal favorite games that you've cleared out of your backlog? And were there any you completely regretted playing?

Playing any other games actively at the moment?

What in Destiny 2 are you looking forward to doing the most? Also, favorite class? Did you play Destiny 1?

Have you played any other MMOs? Which ones?

Any hobbies besides gaming?

Well, that should be a good start! I'll be sending you a forum mail in the next day or so for you to look it. Also, even if you plan to focus on the solo play of ESO, definitely catch up with our people over there! They are pretty knowledgeable from what I hear & I don't think @Simone bites? :p

Hey there! Welcome to SoH :)

You may have found some kindred spirits here, and you're right -- you're not an elder, hehe. Until recently, I was (I'm 54), but we have a newer Member who's got me beat by about a decade \o/  

I'm biased, I know, but I love us! SoH became "home" to me almost immediately when I applied in 2008 (iirc). After nearly 14 yrs as a gaming community, we've amassed some pretty spectacular players, but more importantly, they're all really good people (and truthfully, that latter bit is waaaay more important to us).

Post pics of your pupper on disco! We're very pet-friendly and relish perusing everybody's furbabies lol. I love both dogs and cats but am more of a cat person (and have 3 atm). Chaos, Loki and their sister, Luna(tic) are masters of mayhem in my house. What's your baby's name?

Oh, so I hear you play ESO? Sweet! We'd love to add you to our roster. Grieve is right: Simone (our leader doesn't bite -- that's my job, hehe. But, I'm a delightful woman (if I do say so myself lol) and most folks, including Grieve, enjoy a playful nibble now and again xD Why not post your acct name here for me! I'm @Feramoan and while we have a super casual group, we'd love to group w/ you for dungeons/delves/WBs when/if you have need or desire. We do a group thing a couple nights a week if enough are on (and have even completed 1 whole trial! lol) 

Last thing -- I've altered your forum rank so you should have more access now. Dive in and poke around! Vet us as you would any community you're serious about joining. We take our Code of Conduct seriously (it's one of the reasons for our extended tenure, hehe) and our 5 Dirty Words is a good indicator of our social ethos. We want to be, and are, a safe gaming home for all sorts of people from all over the world. Hopefully, you'll fit right in ^^

I look forward to meeting you :D 

Hey, welcome to the group! Looking forward to having you. This is definitely the most active group I've been in in a long time, and there's pretty much always a person or two on in the evenings, even when we don't have anything scheduled. I hope we live up to your expectations!

I'm jealous of the fact that you've gone through so many games! I have so many I'd like to play but never feel like I have time for more than a few. I'm sitting on a tomb raider game at the moment I need to get around to. 

Important question I've gotta second with Grieve though; I've only ever been to Jack Stacks in KC and I'm sure I've missed out on better local bbq. Where should I hit up if I get a chance to go back?

Thanks all for the welcomes and questions...let me see what I can do here:

Grieve:

• When I first moved to KC (that's not even been 3 years yet), I was treated to a lot of BBQ, so I've waned off it for some time.  However, probably the two most "go-to" BBQ places are Jack Stack and what is now just called "Joe's BBQ".  Formerly Oklahoma Joe's, but, due to a spat I know little about, the Oklahoma part had to go away.
  • Backlog clearing...well, I re-visited the first Assassin's Creed game cranked up nice and high at 1440p and running at 60FPS, which was simply not achievable in 2007 when it released.  It's a totally different game that way.  There's still a particular level of appeal that franchise has to hold for a player, but, if you remember liking the game 11 years ago, playing it with modern hardware is a transforming experience.  Assassin's Creed II was a much better hitting of the stride originally, but, even now it still was a noticeably better experience.  On the flip side  Spec Ops: The Line was...I can't even begin to describe it.  Mechanically the game worked, but that's hard to screw up when you're copying and pasting Gears of War, a game with some of the most robust control mechanics around.  Other than that...well, let's just say it's a mess...a dark, definitely wanted to be Apocalypse Now mess.  I'm glad I got it for free.   
  • I'm definitely playing other games and have been, most of my backlog clearing has been solo.  I majority solo-played both The Division and Ghost Recon Wildlands.  I didn't want to, but, at some point I wasn't interested in repeatedly hearing "we should play!" and then it never happen.  So I just started playing.  I want to keep clearing out the backlog when I'm not contributing to SoH activities.
  • I did play Destiny 1, but only to the end of the main game.  I've always been a Titan so far.  Destiny 2?  Well, I would like to know what happens...I mean that Gaul guy shows up and says "Imagine a world without light."  So, I assume he's a very menacing collector from the electric company.  So finding out if The Traveler ends up getting the bill paid and making Gaul go away would be nice.  On a more serious note, I want to see the ends of the story content (this is my "backlog completion" benchmark)...how far I go down the PvE rabbit hole I just don't know.  I know I will not be interested in PvP.  To some degree I feel like that's an era come and gone for myself anyway.
  • At some point or another I've had my hand in most of the bigger MMOs, and been burned by a few (Age of Conan, Hellgate: London)...somewhere...there's a lifetime account for Lord of the Rings Online registered to me...was in WoW years ago...EVE Online...ESO is the only one I really sunk any particular hours into.  The quest chains, big and small, all have their fun and unique twists.
  • Hobbies...while not regular like daily...when the weather is tolerable, I like good whisky and good cigars.  I like to try a lot of different coffees.  I played around with doing YouTube and Twitch content for a while.  Since I don't have a lot of obligations in life other than my career, I can explore my curiosities at will.  And while it isn't a hobby, really...black cars.  My cars must be black.  I currently own two slick black Cadillacs.  Feel free to queue up the Quiet Riot song.  It will feels alright....

Fera:

• I haven't been in ESO super regular since I started tackling my backlog, but I'm @Armahael on the game.  I can't say I even know what a trial is.  Dungeons and delves, those look familiar.  I remember where I was trying to just knock down the quests and such...but I'm open to anything that represents progression.

Rundown:

• I'd go with Joe's if you ever get back to KC...Jack Stack has the notoriety but Joe's is the local favorite.
  • The backlog business is tough, you're truly leveled up on mental discipline if you start doing it...I've been spending time in a subreddit called r/patientgamers which has a lot of people trying to work backlogs.  I try to help there when I can.  I see it generally, as two-fold...you have to decide on a goal to achieve for any given game so you can call it "done" at some point, and then you also have to stop or slow down adding to the pile...because even if you set out to not 100% a game like say Skyrim as your goal...that one is going to take time.  It won't seem like much progress if you acquire 20 more games in that space of time...or as I like to call it, what Singularity did the entirety of 2016.  I bought 40-50 games in 2016, and I finished none.  That was a breaking point.

Edit:  My most recent backlog completion was F.E.A.R., earlier this week.  I scrapbooked some of my journey through that game on Imgur:  https://imgur.com/a/744OU72

Edited by Singularity80

When trying to add @Armahael -- message was "account not found" -- check it? Or send @Feramoan a friend request.

I used to be on daily, then started a part-time job so I'm very sporadic of late. Plus, CP460 in under 6mos so yeah, bit o fatigue if I'm honest.

@GorbCorb is Simone (leader) and @gulrenor (Gul) is a game officer. I'll give them a head's up so when/if you pst them, they're in the know ^^

Hello potential new friend! Sorry I'm a little late on answering your thread.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:50 PM, Singularity80 said:

The Division and Ghost Recon Wildlands

I played The Division quite a bit at launch, then had a brief re-entanglement with it earlier this year. I'll likely log on to run some of the shields before The Division 2. Ghost Recon Wildlands was a bit of an impulse buy after the trial weekend, but I got outrageously addicted to Kerbal Space Program soon after and haven't played in months. I'll likely go back at some point to finish clearing all the provinces.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:50 PM, Singularity80 said:

EVE Online

I answered your message in Discord about this. :)

For random questions, I'm going to be lazy and copy the question from Life's thread. 

1. Have you ever tried to explain Fermi's Paradox to anyone and had their eyes glaze over? Why do you think we haven't been contacted by aliens yet?

• Grieve locked this topic