Singularity80, An Introduction, Undefined

Singularity80

Why haven't we been contacted by aliens?  I'd have to go about that for the same reason Fermi established the paradox is the same reason you could argue it's unlikely.  The universe is vast, and most of it appears to be the way it is randomly...or, if there's instructions, we haven't deciphered them yet.  But, if you think about the mechanics of just how our planet works and its ability to sustain life...that's hitting an impressively small target.  Earth's orbit shifts just enough and this rock is nothing but ice or fire.  So Fermi is probably right, there are probably many earth like worlds orbiting many Sun-like stars...but how many of them have advanced life and civilization on them?  Long odds.  Maybe they did and they had extinction level events like Earth has, but humans didn't manage to survive them?  Could be all of that, could be none of that.  

Of course I say all that and next thing you know a comet could come whizzing by with some space lab attached to it in a desperate attempt to get here.  In the absence of warp drive, that would be one way to get somewhere in the galaxy fast...land on a comet and ride it.  And, I glaze my own eyes over thinking about that.  In a good way.  :)

• Like 1

• Grieve locked this topic