Greetings

Rojdan

Hello SoH,

Name's Jordan in RL, or Rojdan (or Roj, like "Rahj", for short). I started LOTRO back in June and am thoroughly digging it. Taking it pretty easy and slow, enjoying the journey. But, I have not yet found a path to really integrate into an in-game community or group. The solo play is a lot of fun, but being able to group quest and hang out explore together in middle-earth just sounds really great. I saw Simone's post on the lotro subreddit, and after reading through the code and "dirty words" I'm curious to hear more about SoH and it's Nomads/lotro group! Sounds like it could be a great time, and a good fit for me. I am really enjoying the game, but always worry that I can't commit the kind of time that many guilds/kinships would expect; that doesn't seem to be an issue here. 

Some other RL notes: I'm 27 and married, and we have a couple of pretty cool small humans. I am fated to be an eternal student, and am working on my PhD in the molecular life sciences, just starting my thesis work. Science! Really, it's a blast. But yeah, b/t family and work/school, time for gaming usually comes at night (9-midnight CST, though certainly not every night), and on weekends (still mostly at night). 

Anyways, feel free to ask me what you'd like, and I hope to start playing with you all soon!

Hey Rojdan - nice to meet you! Sounds like you've come to the right place :). LOTRO definitely has some great group experiences that are worth checking out. Most of us have the same kind of time commitment issues, whether it's from work, kids, or other games that we play, so you won't find any pressure here to be online all the time. Our main group night is Saturdays at 900pm EST, and we try to put out a schedule a week or so in advance. One of the admins will upgrade your forum access this morning, and you'll be able to see the Nomads/LOTRO forum and the schedule for this week.

We came up with the Nomads idea back in August, and we started with Wildstar at the end of August. Wildstar ended up being a short lived experience. NCSOFT announced the end of the game a couple weeks after we got there. That really killed our enthusiasm for the game, so we called a new vote and moved to LOTRO. You'll be able to see how we pick a new game when you can get into the Nomads forum. Basically, we put out a call for game suggestions, and then put up a poll with those games and let everyone vote. Anyone in the guild can suggest a game and vote, even people who aren't actively playing. Our goal is to stay in a game for at least three months, but we're also open to leaving if everyone wants to move on (that's what happened with W*).

I'll send you a PM later today with the access info for our Discord and Mumble servers. You can drop a message in Discord anytime you're online for and ready for an invite to the kinship - there should be someone with invite powers around even if I'm not online. Look forward to gaming with you soon!

Hi Rojdan, welcome! I've altered your forum rank so you're able to poke around a bit more. Do that and make sure to vet us in the same way you might with any group of online strangers (^^)

With 14 yrs as a gaming community, we're finding peeps continue to like the way we do things. Many of our members have been with us from the start, and pretty much everyone struggles w/ the same time-crunch you describe. So, take your shoes off and relax! You won't get any stern looks from us, lol.

Grats on the Piled higher and Deeper (well, almost ^^). That's a ton of work and deserves a hefty dose of approbation. So does raising children while getting an education, lol.

We use these forums, and likely always will, as a means of scheduling, storing game data resources, and as a means of recording the history of both the guild and its members. We are a very open minded bunch of noodle-heads and I'm delighted to learn you've read through our bits and agree with our basic ideology. Again, welcome! We use Discord as a means of instant communication (many do so from work, lol), and as VoIP for those who prefer it. Mumble, however, is the VoIP preference for the Nomads. It's fiddly, to be sure, but once you've done the Audio Wizard and one of us has registered you, it's basically hands-off / stress free.

I look forward to gaming with you!

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome!

Simone, I'm definitely excited to get into some group play! Saturday night should work well for me most weeks; I might not make it on until around 10 EST most nights, after the kids are down for bed. And I'll follow up with you more via the PM.

Fera, I'll be sure to poke around a bit. Make sure I'm not falling into some crazy cult or something :P. But for sure, it sounds like a really pleasant community; that's cool, and refreshing. 

Should have the Piled higher and Deeper in another few years! It's a journey, but a good one (at least, when I'm not stuck banging my head into a wall!).

I'll get set up on Discord and Mumble, to make sure I don't miss out on the fun.

Grieve, we do actually have a little dog! He's a 5yr old beagle/Australian cattle dog mix. Anxious guy, but he's really sweet. Name's Seamus. 

And for non-MMO games, what have I been playing recently...throwing it back to Mass Effect 2. I absolutely love the ME trilogy, and kind of always have a goal to be playing through it... Then, some strategy, with Civ 6 and this econ-RTS Offworld Trading Company. 

Roj, I feel you on the limited game time. If I'm on before about 8:30pm ET it borders on the miraculous. Too much stuff, not enough time.

Your little floof sounds really cute. Animal pics, particularly pets, are always welcome.

I might have a question or three, but I think I left them at my office job. Along with my brain. Probably buried in one of the seemingly infinite selection of Excel spreadsheets I've been looking at this week.

Mmm, yummy Excel spreadsheets. They do have a unique ability to slowly siphon your life-force. I ABSOLUTELY understand. 

Since you asked, here's a couple of Seamus pics! Sadly, the Husky mix (Pearl) had to stay with a friend after our most recent move. She would not have enjoyed apartment living....

15774646_1222130851155472_4541912641002874844_o.thumb.jpg.a4d03d53b846f52eb72749a97da7887b.jpg12968078_1022131791155380_2468810948774744024_o.thumb.jpg.69e8a7e9a55206212d167d0f6f85d251.jpg

Edited by Rojdan
Woah. The text did not like the embedding. Got it sorted out though.
  • Like 1