Jeriacor

Jeriacor

Greetings!

My name in real life is Mike, but in game I prefer to go with my avatar name: Jeriacor.

I have been looking a for a strong, social, and friendly guild, and having searched the WoW classic forums for my server (Bloodsail Buccanneers, hopefully I got this right), and I must admit your guild seems to check all the boxes.  My WoW experience is VERY old-school.  I played from 2 weeks after launch until 2006, shortly before the release of BC.  In that time I was in a wonderful end-game guild and participated in raids on MC, BWL, ZG, Onyxia, and part of AQ.  I realized then that I had no life outside of WoW, so I quit and got myself a social life.  I returned briefly for WotLK playing the warrior that I've rebooted for classic, but I was mostly a solo player and never got into the end-game content of the time.  Before Cataclysm came out I dropped WoW and haven't looked back since, until now with classic.

My life is different than it was.  I'm an adult with a wife, a house, a more-than-full-time job, and hoping for kids in the future.  I have responsibilities outside of gaming that take precedence, so I really appreciate that this guild seems to reflect these values.  In reference to your code of conduct, I also really appreciate the emphasis on no-drama.  I hate drama and avoid it like the plague (or the Scourge?)  I get along with others very easily, and I try to have an open mind and perspective about things.  Sportsmanship is also important to me... I think it's essential to realize that we are all just people behind our avatars, trying to have a good time.  Losing a battle or losing out on some loot is no fun, but it's part of the overall experience that makes it fun for everyone.  In friendship, I like how you mentioned that little things like responding to questions or saying hi can go a long way towards fostering those good social feelings.  Having been in a number of guilds that are silent as the grave (even on the Alliance so I know it wasn't due to undeath), I know how much of a drag it is to feel like a loner even when you're part of a guild.

With regard to RP: I love it.  I RP IRL with pen-and-paper RPGs regularly.  I enjoy in-character interactions that occur organically while adventuring in the world, and I try to adhere to speech patterns that are at least believably in character, so as to not disrupt other players' immersion (with the exception of general and guild chat, depending on guild rules).  I do know that you're not RP-focused, and that's okay, but I appreciate how you mentioned that you will easily join into RPing that is going on in the world, because that's generally how I like to experience it as well.

I'm looking for a guild that is friendly and serious, end-game focused, but not so-called "hardcore"-minded.  I love the nostalgia, but it goes beyond that.  I've always found WoW to be a great game, just one that's really hard to balance with outside life responsibilities, but now I think I might be able to strike that balance, with the help of a mature and "casually hardcore" guild.  Hopefully South of Heaven fits the mold and wouldn't mind having me along.  (Also, I like the name reference \m/)

Signed: Jeriacor (Mike).

Hi Jeriacor. o/

Welcome to the club of trying to balance adulting and WoW. 

I'm definitely one of the more casual players, but we do have several members that are definitely serious about endgame stuff once people are higher level.

We do like asking lots of questions, some serious and some silly.

Here are my contributions:

What do you do to earn your rl gold?

Puppies, kitties, or llamas?

Taco Tuesday or Waffle Wednesday?

Great questions; I'll answer anything you like.

I live in California, and work at a state run hospital for the mentally ill.  I'm a Psychiatric Technician, which is basically a mental health nurse.  I work closely and constantly with people with serious mental illness such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, who have also committed a (usually violent) crime.  While the population I work with is dangerous, they represent less than 1% of people with mental illness, but unfortunately, the people I work with are where the stereotypes come from.  Understandably I have a lot I could say on the subject, and I'd be glad to if asked, but I'll leave it there for now.  Just know I'm very sympathetic to the struggles of those who have mental illness.

Puppies, kittens, or llamas... I'd say all of the above.  I have and love dogs and cats, and I love animals in general.  If I had the space for a llama I'd definitely consider owning one, or possibly a goat or alpaca.  I don't own any other animals right now, but that's always subject to change ;)

Tacos are far superior to waffles, any day of the week.  I tend to prefer savory food over sweet food in general.  I'm an adventurous eater and I enjoy most foods.  Fish tacos, though, are literally one of my all time favorite foods... especially with smoked salmon and chipotlé... yum!

Got more questions?  Bring 'em on.  I hope to show you I'm safe enough to hang out with ;)

Hey there, Jeriacor. Welcome to the forums! I'm Mordigrim around the forums and Discord, Craterhoof in game. 

What tabletop RPGs do you prefer? I'm a Pathfinder player myself, we have a weekly session rotating between two different ongoing campaigns right now. Do you consume any RPG media like podcasts? If so, which one(s) do you enjoy? I'd love to hear about your favorite character that you play!

If your wife had to describe you in one sentence, what would she say?

What's your favorite music to listen to while gaming (video or tabletop)?

If you could go on a week-long vacation to any single location in the world, where would you go and why?

Hit me back with whatever questions you have! I look forward to getting to know you, I have a feeling you're going to fit in great here :)

I have taken a liking to 13th Age, which is a d20 system similar to DnD and Pathfinder, but more relaxed and story focused.  I enjoy DnD as well, I've played a number of Powered By The Apocalypse settings, some I've enjoyed and others not as much.  I've enjoyed Scion (White Wolf) and Dark Heresy in the past.  I recently Kickstartered the revamped Alternity system which I'm looking forward to building a Sci-fi game with.  The only RPG media I consume would be the webcomics Order of the Stick and Darths and Droids.  I've also seen enough of 8 Bit Theater to be familiar with it.  I also like some online video game media including Extra Credits and their various other series, Zero Punctuation, and The Jimquisition (old Escapist greatness).  For YouTubers other than that, I don't follow a lot, but I do like 8-Bit Music Theory, Family Jules, MatoJelic (for Chess), and Ashish Xiangyi Kumar (classical music).

I listen to exactly 4 podcasts, none of them gaming related.  They are: NPR Politics Podcast, NPR's Planet Money, Science Vs, and the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe.  That all is enough to make your average person's eyes roll back in their head from boredom. :bulgy-eyes:

I asked my wife how she would describe me in a sentence.  She said "Weird."  I said "That's not a sentence; that's just a word."  She said "I'm efficient."  So there you go... :rolleyes:

I have a few recurring favorite RPG characters.  I have a gnome sorcerer called Ignacious.  He's a devious little bastard, expert at illusion, super sneaky, and frighteningly charismatic, in a sociopathic sort of way.  I also like Jeriacor, a fire giant warrior who leads his armies in brutal battle, but has fallen in love with a water priestess, which he must keep hidden.  Eventually he is found out, betrayed, and killed.  I've played the character in various iterations.  I don't use that specific backstory for my undead warrior, but I keep the name around for my characters regularly.  Jeriacor actually originates from the old PC game Lords of Magic, as part of a large chunk of lore within the manual that probably no one except me ever read.  I'm weird, remember?

I don't usually listen to music while gaming.  When I do for pen and paper RPGs, it's ambient music that's apropos for whatever is going on.  For video games including WoW, I've listened to symphonic heavy metal such as Rhapsody of Fire or Within Temptation while gaming for a good time.  I actually really like heavy metal of all kinds, including thrash, black, death, power, doom, and my favorite sub-genre: folk.  This is why I knew what South of Heaven referenced.

I'd likely choose to travel to Ireland.  I consider it "the homeland" as it's where many of my ancestors are from.  Plus I'd just love to soak in the history and ambience of that lovely Emerald Isle.  I've been to Norway before (I have friends who live there) and it would be a close second.  I loved visiting that country due to the sights, people, food, and the atmosphere that just seems legendary to me.

I'm better at answering questions than asking them... but I can think of a few...

What other games do you play (video or otherwise)?

What music do you listen to?

What do you do for a living?

Do you have any non-gaming talents or hobbies?

Don't feel obligated to answer all that if you don't want.  But they're talking points if that's what you're looking for.

Your wife's answer is fine in my book! Weird is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. 

My favorite tabletop character is my coldborn skinwalker (aka werebear) barbarian, Rigar the Red. His background is heavily inspired by Scottish clans and themes and he's a little arrogant in battle but a fierce protector of his friends and family. He's very skeptical of magic and magic users but one day one of his friends cast fly on him and he decided magic wasn't so bad after all. I'll attach a picture I sketched of him flying!

What are some of your favorite folk metal acts? I personally love Amon Amarth and Alestorm, Turisas also has a number of tracks I like. Admittedly, I don't know a lot more folk metal than that. A lot of the metal I like is either classic stuff (from Black Sabbath to Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc) or -core genres (metalcore, deathcore, etc). I really like Trivium, Erra, Born of Osiris, All Shall Perish, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, DevilDriver, Lamb of God, Nekrogoblikon, etc. And then there's all the hard rock that's not quite true metal that I love like Ghost, Tool, Deftones, etc. 

Really though I listen to just about every genre of music imaginable. I love 90's grunge rock like Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Bush, etc. I love hip-hop, especially independent hip-hop acts like Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Run the Jewels, etc. I like some more mainstream artists like Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole too. Oh and 90's hip-hop like Wu Tang Clan, Tupac, Biggie, Bone Thugs n Harmony, etc. I like outlaw country, both the classics like Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard and modern throwback acts like Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers. I listen to artists from nearly every subgenre of punk, from Misfits to Black Flag to NOFX to Dropkick Murphys to Sum 41 and Blink 182. I like some pop too, I unabashedly love Katy Perry. Basically, if you name a genre, I can probably find something I like within it.

Outside of WoW I play Destiny 2, Switch games with my 6-year-old son (Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Smash Bros, etc), Magic the Gathering, and Pathfinder. My Pathfinder group occasionally has board game nights and we play all kinds of more-obscure board games (Entropy is a favorite of mine, Azul, Castle Panic, and Betrayal at House on the Hill are some other common ones for us).

I work at the local women's and children's hospital, I am an "operating room supply clerk" which means I do inventory management and ordering for our store room as well as pulling supplies for surgery cases. It's not the most exciting or interesting job to talk about!

As for talents and hobbies, my only real "talent" is character art. Ever since I was a kid I would draw comic book characters, cartoon/anime characters, etc. As an adult it just means all my friends expect me to draw their D&D/Pathfinder characters for them. Other hobbies I have are disc golf, fishing, and every summer I volunteer at a summer camp for kids with type 1 diabetes. I have type 1 diabetes as well and went to the camp when I was a teenager so now I give back by staying involved and helping out there as much as I can. 

IMG_20180822_212822687.png

Well that's quite a lot of music!  ...Which I can totally relate to as I love music in general.  I'm not a huge fan of hip-hop, rap, and modern country, but even then I can usually find a few gems that I don't mind.  But as for everything else you mentioned, I would listen to them and be happy anytime.  You gave me a list so I'll give a list back so here it comes... If you don't care for a giant list of bands skip the next paragraph:

As far as metal goes, I of course like the classics you mentioned, the "big 4 (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax)" and others like Pantera and Black Sabbath.  The 3 folk metal bands you mentioned are great and I love them, but they are not my favorites.  My all time favorite band at this point is folk metal and it is Moonsorrow.  I also love Finntroll, Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Equilibrium, and Falkenbach.  I also like more death/black metal acts such as Behemoth, Children of Bodom, Mastodon, Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Vektor, Arch Enemy, Belphegor, Watain, Bloodbath, Machine Head, Sepultura, Nile, In Flames and Lamb of God as you mentioned, and somewhat obscurer bands Kalmah and Dark Fortress.  I don't usually go for the"-core" bands, but any metal is great for me.  I like Killswitch Engage as well, and I've taken a liking to Carnifex and Pig Destroyer.  Of the brighter genres I like Rhapsody of Fire, Stratovarius (one of my all-time favorites), Within Temptation, Symphony X, Epica, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Apocalyptica, The Birthday Massacre, Fairyland, Avantasia, and Dragonforce.  I like some of the better known metal or metal-ish bands like Guns 'n Roses, Rage Against the Machine, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Disturbed, and Nine Inch Nails.  And I'm into rock acts including Led Zeppelin (which was my favorite band before I delved into the labyrinth of metal acts), Muse, AFI, Blink 182, Styx, Daft Punk, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Queen, Flogging Molly, Rush, Weezer, and System of a Down.  And I'm sure I can go on but I'll stop this craziness for now.

I am a classical pianist.  I don't play professionally and don't want to.  I love classical music as well.  I love the "Russian greats" with Prokofiev being my favorite classical composer.  I also like Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, Shostakovich, early Scriabin, and also Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Holst, Copland, Reich, ugh... I could go on a long time here too....  I am certainly NOT a jazz or rock pianist.  I suck at improvising, though I do appreciate jazz and enjoy listening to it and respecting those who are good at it.

Video games I'm more limited on.  I end up playing lots of older games that I've played already because it's just mentally easier than trying to absorb something new.  I like RPGs, simulations, and strategy games.  I like Bioware games like the Dragon Age series and Mass Effect series.  I enjoy Skyrim and Civilization V (although I'm not all that good at it).  I play a lot of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, which I know is really old but hey, I like it.  One game that's eaten a ton of time recently (before WoW, obviously...) is Factorio.  I simply love that game.  If you are inclined check out the trailer and reviews on Steam; it's beyond worth it if you like simulation/crafting/strategy games.  I love a lot of old classic series such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Mario Kart, F-Zero, and jRPGs like Zelda, Earthbound, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, etc.

I also love board games, of which I've played a ton of obscure and complicated ones.  There's a lot of them out there too, though.  Of the ones you mentioned I think I may have played Betrayed at the House on the Hill, but I can't remember for sure.  Some of my favorites are 7 Wonders, Eminent Domain, Energy Empire, Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga, Agricola, Puerto Rico, Roll for the Galaxy, and a ton of others.

Cool art!  I know a few artists, one of whom does it professionally, but I've never been any good at it myself.  Piano is my wheelhouse when it comes to creativity, as is writing for home-brew RPG settings.

I'm really glad you do what you do.  Medical staff are beyond important.  My brother has had type 1 diabetes since he was 7, so I've grown up knowing about it and dealing with it.  The struggle is real, but great advancements keep happening, so there's lots of reasons to be optimistic about it imo.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know or would like me to do to help get to know me.  I'll be around and available, although my play-time in WoW can be sporadically spotty due to my job and life demands.