Intro [WoW] (Aspir)

Anglammaroth

Hey folks.

I'm an old guildmate of Sheytan/Dev's from... forever ago back in <Church of RNG>.  My main's name is Aspir, a protadin.  Just got aotc after about a month back into WoW.  Considering other places for continued Raiding/Shadowlands Shenanigans.  Mostly interested in heroic with maybe mythic raiding, m+, and general activity.  I'm super into the idea of an active and fun community.

As an aside, I also have played Eve for years.  I was CEO of No Vacancies (a wh corp) for about 5 years. Just recently passed that torch cus I saw myself becoming less active within Eve.

If your eve folks know much/any of my corp, y'all will already possibly know that I'm in full agreement with your Code of Conduct.  Friendly banter is fun, but when someone's had enough, move on and keep having fun instead of irritating your friends.

About me as a human... I'm Aaron (often called Ace), getting older as far as being a gamer goes.  I've got 4 year-old twins that I talk about too much. I'm a recovering trucker and newbie programmer. I'm not currently driving a truck, but that might be in the cards again, who knows.  I also have a couple cats.  Currently I play WoW, World of Warships, Avorion, Terraria, other random Steam games, and still a small bit of Eve Online (anyone need an avatar?)

Anything else people are interested in, give me a shout.

-Ace

-

Hello there! I'm Mordi, Mordigrim, or Brad. Your pick!

8 hours ago, Anglammaroth said:

I've got 4 year-old twins that I talk about too much.

I talk about my kiddo all the time too. I think that's par for the course. What's your favorite thing about having twins? Are they playing any games yet? I think at 4 my kiddo and I were playing a Pokemon campaign together (I'd read to him, he'd pick our attacks and name all of our "mons") and playing classic games (NES, Atari, etc. emulators). 

What's your favorite music to listen to with your kids? What's your favorite music to listen to when your kids aren't around?

What's your favorite take-out or delivery food? What's your favorite homemade meal (and who in your life makes it best)?

If the person who knows you best had to describe you to someone who had never met you in one sentence, what would they say?

Feel free to hit me back with any questions you have! Happy to have you here, welcome to the forums!

51 minutes ago, Mordigrim said:

Hello there! I'm Mordi, Mordigrim, or Brad. Your pick!

I talk about my kiddo all the time too. I think that's par for the course. What's your favorite thing about having twins? Are they playing any games yet? I think at 4 my kiddo and I were playing a Pokemon campaign together (I'd read to him, he'd pick our attacks and name all of our "mons") and playing classic games (NES, Atari, etc. emulators). 

•      I think the best part about having twins is that they've never really been alone.  When I ask who their best friend is, they always name their brother.  They're playing all the games they can get on their little kindle fire kids tablets.  Mostly little simple games, but some of them are pretty complex and I get to watch them develop their problem-solving skills.

What's your favorite music to listen to with your kids? What's your favorite music to listen to when your kids aren't around?

•     Mostly still Disney stuff, though I put them to bed to classical at night.  Usually Claire De Lune.  We also listen to things like... Pentatonix and other acapella but fun groups with them.

What's your favorite take-out or delivery food? What's your favorite homemade meal (and who in your life makes it best)?

•     Delivery/Take-out:  An asian restaurant near me called Fulin.  They have a few thai, a couple chinese, and a decent amount of japanese options.  Side note: one of my boys likes curry.
  •     Home made..hmm. Right now it's white chicken chili in the instant pot made by my wife.

If the person who knows you best had to describe you to someone who had never met you in one sentence, what would they say?

•     I asked my wife this one and she gave two answers.
    • "Stoic but not to a detrimental degree and surprisingly empathetic."
    • "Bearded and delightful." 

Feel free to hit me back with any questions you have! Happy to have you here, welcome to the forums!

I think I formatted the whole thing as a quote.. ah well.

I don't know right off hand any questions to fire back with yet.  Might think of some while I kill N'zoth again this evening, heh.

-Ace

On 5/25/2020 at 5:55 PM, Anglammaroth said:

I think the best part about having twins is that they've never really been alone.  When I ask who their best friend is, they always name their brother. 

That's so great, I love that! My kiddo is an only child and always will be, sometimes I'm sad for him that he doesn't have a sibling. I have four sisters and an adopted brother, my wife has two sisters and a brother, so we both thought we'd have a big family ourselves but it just wasn't in the cards for us.

Delivery/Take-out:  An asian restaurant near me called Fulin.  They have a few thai, a couple chinese, and a decent amount of japanese options.  Side note: one of my boys likes curry.

Oh how I wish I could get my son to eat real Asian food! The closest to Asian he'll even touch is HuHot, anywhere else we get Asian from the only thing he eats is steamed rice with gallons of soy sauce on it :lol: I'm obsessed with Asian food, I could rotate between Thai, Chinese, and Japanese indefinitely and probably never get sick of it. 

"Bearded and delightful." 

You should wear that description like a title, introduce yourself as "Ace the Bearded and Delightful" from now on. 

Hi there, Aspir/Aaron/Ace! I'm Jim, and I also play a Paladin. I'd say it's cause I'm really into the Glory of the Light, but really I just like the special effects.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:36 AM, Anglammaroth said:

I've got 4 year-old twins that I talk about too much.

No children here, but I am in a similar issue with my cat. His name is Jean Ralphio, and he's a half-bengal, half-raccoon. His unrelated nickname is Mankle, and I chant this name at him often for any apparent reason I deem appropriate. I know you said you had a cat, too, so I'm hoping you understand where I'm coming from with this.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:36 AM, Anglammaroth said:

I'm a recovering trucker and newbie programmer. I'm not currently driving a truck, but that might be in the cards again, who knows.

So I've never driven anything larger than a big U-haul, but I spent a decade working in car dealerships and such after high school. I've spent a lot of time driving around for random purposes, and I gotta say it's still something I miss. I love having time to myself to think and let my thoughts play out, and driving has always afforded that for me. Plus, I've seen some really pretty places and ate some awesome food I never would have otherwise. What was your favorite thing about the job?

On 5/25/2020 at 6:55 PM, Anglammaroth said:

I think the best part about having twins is that they've never really been alone.  When I ask who their best friend is, they always name their brother. 

My brother and I are only a year and a half apart, so we had a very similar experience growing up. Especially when we were younger, everyone thought we were twins, and we always hung out with the other's friends. I now have a penchant for thinking of all of my favorite people as extensions of my family, and I sometimes wonder how much that relationship shaped that perception.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:55 PM, Anglammaroth said:

Delivery/Take-out:  An asian restaurant near me called Fulin.  They have a few thai, a couple chinese, and a decent amount of japanese options.  Side note: one of my boys likes curry.

Asian food is by far my favorite theater (I had "type" in here originally, but it's really way too diverse for that) of food. The best chinese place around here is called Number One Taste, and it truly does live up to its name.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:52 PM, Mordigrim said:

I think at 4 my kiddo and I were playing a Pokemon campaign together (I'd read to him, he'd pick our attacks and name all of our "mons") and playing classic games (NES, Atari, etc. emulators). 

Mordi this has no real bearing on what else is going on, but the first video games I played as a child were the original Super Mario Brothers and Legend of Zelda. My mother was so bored staying at home she bought them and would play them for hours cause it kept us all entertained hahaha.

As an aside, Ace:

What's your favorite part of collaborative gaming?

Favorite raid encounter all time?

What, in your opinion, is the coolest superpower/magic system/etc.? (there are probably no wrong answers)

Edited by gesari

Gesari, heya.

No children here, but I am in a similar issue with my cat. His name is Jean Ralphio, and he's a half-bengal, half-raccoon. His unrelated nickname is Mankle, and I chant this name at him often for any apparent reason I deem appropriate. I know you said you had a cat, too, so I'm hoping you understand where I'm coming from with this.

Always good to know cat people.  I had 2 cats when I met my wife, and she had 2 as well.  I married into cats.  We currently are down to two, but throughout our marriage we've had Tsuba (half house, half bobcat...we think.  he was 26lbs and not fat when he passed... had a bob tail and the.... chops, that bobcats have.) Tabi, Cricket, Bucket, and Andrew.  I totally get where you're coming from with unrelated nicknames. (see: bucket.  His real name is Swarley).

So I've never driven anything larger than a big U-haul, but I spent a decade working in car dealerships and such after high school. I've spent a lot of time driving around for random purposes, and I gotta say it's still something I miss. I love having time to myself to think and let my thoughts play out, and driving has always afforded that for me. Plus, I've seen some really pretty places and ate some awesome food I never would have otherwise. What was your favorite thing about the job?

The kind of independence, solitude, time to listen to audiobooks and generally be alone.  Seeing the country.  It's honestly a very good line of work for people who can handle the stress/being alone/being away from family.  I've driven in all 48 contiguous states and 2 or 3 provinces in Canada.

My brother and I are only a year and a half apart, so we had a very similar experience growing up. Especially when we were younger, everyone thought we were twins, and we always hung out with the other's friends. I now have a penchant for thinking of all of my favorite people as extensions of my family, and I sometimes wonder how much that relationship shaped that perception.

Yeah, I'm hoping that they keep their native... love for everyone.  One of my boys is such a good person.  Like -- way better than my wife or myself.  His brother is great too, just lacks that incredible empathy.  He's more like me.  Already a little sarcastic and exploring boundaries. 

Asian food is by far my favorite theater (I had "type" in here originally, but it's really way too diverse for that) of food. The best chinese place around here is called Number One Taste, and it truly does live up to its name.

I like the names a lot of Asian food places use.  Number One Taste is certainly up there, heh.

As an aside, Ace:

What's your favorite part of collaborative gaming?

Favorite raid encounter all time?

What, in your opinion, is the coolest superpower/magic system/etc.? (there are probably no wrong answers)

• Hard to say.  Overcoming challenges obviously. Teamwork/community ranks high.
  • Favorite raid encounter.... hmm. How about 3 great ones.  Lich King heroic 25(main tank), Deathwing Spine(I was add tank as a protadin), Shade of Aran cus it was the first one I saw people failing on for no obvious reason.
  • Best magic system is... probably either from the mistborn universe... Allomancy/Feruchemy/Hemallurgy... or maybe the power from the Wheel of Time series. (I would also say The Force in Star Wars is top tier.)

37 minutes ago, Anglammaroth said:

Tsuba (half house, half bobcat...we think.  he was 26lbs and not fat when he passed... had a bob tail and the.... chops, that bobcats have

Oh man, my brother has a 28lb Maine Coon who looks like a miniature white lion. It's uncanny. I'm fighting hard to not start posting pics of several cats in this thread right now.

38 minutes ago, Anglammaroth said:

see: bucket.  His real name is Swarley

SWARLEY! How I Met Your Mother reference?

39 minutes ago, Anglammaroth said:

I like the names a lot of Asian food places use.  Number One Taste is certainly up there, heh.

I'm often disappointed when I see an Asian place with an Americanized name.

41 minutes ago, Anglammaroth said:
  • Hard to say.  Overcoming challenges obviously. Teamwork/community ranks high.
  • Favorite raid encounter.... hmm. How about 3 great ones.  Lich King heroic 25(main tank), Deathwing Spine(I was add tank as a protadin), Shade of Aran cus it was the first one I saw people failing on for no obvious reason.

I have some really fond memories of ICC Heroic. Lich King in general was such a great fight. We got stuck on 25H Sindy, but I tanked as a Blood DK for our 10H group; what a great zone in general. I was dpsing as Frost for the haste buff for the raid in our 25 man group; felt pretty awful most of the time being at the bottom of the parse, but I'll never forget my Army of the Dead ghouls secured us the kill for normal mode from taunting them adds. I quit early on in Dragon Soul, but I rather enjoyed Firelands on my Warlock. Karazhan had a few bosses that were great for watching easy failures; for my guild it was always Netherspite and once I got over being annoyed about it, the whole thing was pretty hilarious.

I think my favorite encounter I've done was in EQ2; the instanced Mayong encounter. It was a relatively straightforward encounter, but the guild I was with had no business being there at the time. Our gear was trash and it was our second night in there and we got the kill just by playing the whole thing super clean. I'd raided in a few casual guilds before, but that was the first time a raid group I'd played in ever felt like a cohesive unit. It's still my favorite part about progression.

4 hours ago, Anglammaroth said:

Best magic system is... probably either from the mistborn universe... Allomancy/Feruchemy/Hemallurgy... or maybe the power from the Wheel of Time series. (I would also say The Force in Star Wars is top tier.)

So there was a definite right answer to this question, and it was The Force, so props. I am, however, a big fan of both Mistborn and Wheel of Time (I've got part of the inscription from Mat's spear tattooed on my right forearm =O). I think the magic system from the Malazan series was probably the most interesting to me, but I don't run into too many people who've read that one. 

Any other favorite books/series in general?

23 hours ago, Anglammaroth said:

Deathwing Spine(I was add tank as a protadin),

I add tanked as a warrior and that was absolutely the highlight of that tier for me. It was my first real step into heroics and it was terrifying, stressful, and totally thrilling. Being on the very edge of disaster and having to hold it for so long really got the blood pumping. 

Also I agree with Mordi! Frankly, I don't know why there aren't cat pics in here already. 

The one in this picture is Jiji. Also known as The Shriek, The Screaming Void, and Muffin. 

My other cat is Thrymr. He's also known as cuddle bear or King Louie.

15907607208541011586376412351276.jpg