Application/Introduction

Foxinsocks

Hello all in South of Heaven, my name’s Matt! I go by different ingame names over the years including: Foxinsocks, Shears, Alffie, Cancr, and blossoms. I’ve been playing WoW actively since wotlk,  with 2/3 6 month breaks along the way. 

Im looking for a guild for shadowlands, and maybe you guys will be it! What peaked my interest about you guys from first glance was the wowprogress info mentioning non-raid night events, and then I saw the way you guys attempt to get to know applicants on this forum.

I’ve made close friends Video-gaming who I talk to and see to this day, even if we don’t play the same games anymore, and I’m hoping to build those types of beyond-surface level relationships in south of haven!

I’m unsure what you guys would like to know so I’ll try painting with a broad brush to start :P

A little about me irl: 

I’m 25, graduated from college last year, and run my own landscaping company. I enjoy reading non fics, hiking and running, listening to lectures on things ranging from mechanicical to philosophical, drinking at dive bars, and more! 

A little about me in WoW: 

Besides the social interactions, I enjoy mini/maxing in WoW, I’ve managed to get a few rank 1 logs on the highest difficulties during progression on my Druid and rogue. However, the  most memorable and satisfying moments are when I pooled resources and cd’s to swap to a high priority add, or soaked a mechanic last second that someone missed etc, during a hectic first kill of a boss, not a high log. Doing what ever I can to get that first kill with a guild, including going healer/tank, or when I was feral, going boomkin for a boss or two where it can create a large impact.  

I’ve spent tiers in top 16-200 us guilds on 8-12 hour schedules, and guilds that never make it to mythic for the tier, and it didn’t make much of a difference for my enjoyment, all guilds wipe repeatedly during progress 😝 

Ps. one thing I saw that seemed unique from the code of conduct was no exploitation of bugs or 3rd party software. I am indifferent on if others choose to do so, interpersonally at least, but I like the idea that as a guild it is prohibited! 

And uhhhh yeah, I hope this rambling will start a dialogue!!  My discord ID is Blossums/Alffie#9558 and I’d be more than happy to chat in voice further, and reply here ofcourse!  

Ps. ps. hope everyone’s adjusted and doing well during this corona stuff. 

Soju  it is then! 
id love to be able to read minds, for many reasons but I’d love to be able to hear how other people think. Like people watching, I don’t think I’d ever get tired of it tbh.

as to the icecream choice, I’m a big fan of mint chocolate chip when I’m feeling extra, otherwise my preference is I’ll get vanilla cone’s :p maybe with some hot fudge or chocolate. 

i like a light blue normally, I think. Only color I’m not a fan of is green, or purple.

1 hour ago, Foxinsocks said:

I’m a big fan of mint chocolate chip when I’m feeling extra

Hands down.

1. What was your favorite raid? Or favorite boss fight or encounter and why?

2. What got you into WoW in the first place?

3. Do you have any pets? and if so you're highly encouraged to post pictures.

Edited by Devotional

7 hours ago, Devotional said:

Hands down.

1. What was your favorite raid? Or favorite boss fight or encounter and why?

2. What got you into WoW in the first place?

3. Do you have any pets? and if so you're highly encouraged to post pictures.

It’s really hard to just pick one raid but uhhh any given night I’d just say ulduar, although the fight mechanics of back then are pretty basic, it was a beautiful design and the music was great too! I played a DK which stayed fresh with new builds often that you had to constantly read up on and stay in the loop with other dk’s, and it was the second tier I had played at max level so the beginning process of this raiding hobby, good memories! 
Blackrock foundry had a bunch of amazing boss fights, but I loved blackhand the most. So many good mechanics, I liked getting knocked up to kill cannoneers on ledges, playing a feral and using all my defensives, healing options, and movement options is always enjoyable.

healing in cata’s first tier was pretty legendary too, the desperate feeling of having so little mana to play with before we got geared really had my adrenaline going most of progression. 

As to what got me into WoW, I grew up playing runescape and rts’s with friends at each others houses.  I couldn’t convince them to get it just then, but I was 12/ 13 when I got WoW BC, played a hunter non max level and made a bunch of twink lvl19s, that was about my first year of play until wotlk came out, lol.

I don’t have any pets of my own:( I just bought my first place so I can get a dog now, kind of been putting it off saying I gotta wait until I can afford 2 dogs so they have companionship, but maybe I’m hesitant of the responsibility 😅

Hey Matt, I'm Jim! I've spent most of the past 15 years online going by Gesari, but to make it easier on everyone I've named my Shaman Djimm going into Shadowlands. =P I tend to lead our saturday night community groups; since we're all just chilling waiting for SL to drop at the moment we've been spending most of them just doing old raid meta achievements for mounts and really just as an excuse to hang out together. No one even asks us to drink any kool-aid.

I've been playing Warcraft myself since right before BC launched, but before then I was raiding hardcore in EQ2 and only really made the swap because when I first showed up to college my campus ISP couldn't run EQ2 with any stability (some weird thing about port cycling, I think? I'm not very good with network admin stuff). My first real MMO was EQ1 when I was like 12/13 also (I'm 32 now)...it took me a bit longer to get into the raid game though haha. Like you, though, I've run with some really top end folks, and some folks who were definitely not. I always loved the teamwork, though, and I'm fortunate that I've several friends in guild whom I've known for years...a few of them over a decade. I'm hyped for you to meet everyone!

Okay so, I'm not fully awake yet and while I'm usually pretty good about conversation I'm sort of drawing a blank right now. Probably should have had some caffeine before writing this. I'll skip to questions now before I get carried away talking about shit that's not even on topic.

What did you study in college? Does that have any bearing on the non-fic topics you read on now, or do you look for something else when picking out a book?

You've just been freed from the Matrix. What knowledge do you want to download into your head first?

What's your favorite part about Landscaping/how'd you get into it? How's it been going with all the coronavirus changes?

What song is stuck playing in your head at this very moment?

You are given a flight on a private jet to anywhere you want in the world (pre/post- pandemic, for argument's sake). Where are you going?

Shit I was sitting here trying to think of more and then I realized this is probably more than enough. I look forward to hearing from you!

Edited by gesari

6 hours ago, Foxinsocks said:

It’s really hard to just pick one raid but uhhh any given night I’d just say ulduar, although the fight mechanics of back then are pretty basic, it was a beautiful design and the music was great too! I played a DK which stayed fresh with new builds often that you had to constantly read up on and stay in the loop with other dk’s, and it was the second tier I had played at max level so the beginning process of this raiding hobby, good memories! 
Blackrock foundry had a bunch of amazing boss fights, but I loved blackhand the most. So many good mechanics, I liked getting knocked up to kill cannoneers on ledges, playing a feral and using all my defensives, healing options, and movement options is always enjoyable.

healing in cata’s first tier was pretty legendary too, the desperate feeling of having so little mana to play with before we got geared really had my adrenaline going most of progression. 

As to what got me into WoW, I grew up playing runescape and rts’s with friends at each others houses.  I couldn’t convince them to get it just then, but I was 12/ 13 when I got WoW BC, played a hunter non max level and made a bunch of twink lvl19s, that was about my first year of play until wotlk came out, lol.

I don’t have any pets of my own:( I just bought my first place so I can get a dog now, kind of been putting it off saying I gotta wait until I can afford 2 dogs so they have companionship, but maybe I’m hesitant of the responsibility 😅

Oh yeah, Ulduar is fantastic. The mechanics may seem simple now, but damn if we didn't spend months wiping on that stuff haha. I know you mean the in-game music but the song mostly in my head when I think of Ulduar is this one :silly:

Cata T11 was fun/challenging to heal, I agree. It was the first raid tier I ever healed! My guild at the time lost our healer for 10man so I brought my holy paladin alt in that I just did arenas and pvp'd on to heal until we found a replacement. We never did and 9 years later it's still my main...thanks, T11! Trial by fire I suppose.

It sounds like you had some good experience leading up to getting into WoW. Runescape, that is oldschool!

I understand what you mean about the dog. It can definitely be a lot at times and I'm thankful we don't have two. What kind of dog are you considering? Or just looking for the one that feels right?

Hey guys! Sorry I haven’t made the time to reply earlier, but I’m still very excited to get to know you all when I’m done with work (aiming for October 7th) and being home again. 

Gesari, I can tell you’ve really enjoyed your journey in this game and with these groups of guys, that type of excitement/happiness is always infectious! 

Thank you for all the questions! I studied public health with a concentration in community based interventions, and as a junior I had a project to create a intervention and I chose to erect a community garden at an elementary school for the kids and around that area was a large elderly population. I had a friend of a friend who knew carpentry and he wanted to get it done in two days because he was busy.  Him and I put the fences and planter boxes together in 2 long sun up to down days, we got along well and he ended up offering me a summer job doing the job I do today, for him. I worked for him, loved it and wanted to do it, finished my degree just incase, and spent another year learning from him and this is my first year contracting with my own company!
As far as corona goes, my job hasn’t been effected except that I can’t eat out or have a beer at a bar at the end of a long day on the road, which I always looked forward to lol. I contract to cell phone tower companies so I don’t have to worry about getting clients, but it also means I’m in hotels on the road most of my season, I enjoy the traveling and seeing new areas, especially since often I’m ontop of a mountain or in a farmers field with their animals, where the cell phone towers are located. And ofcourse their is always something new to learn or do better which is all I ask o a job, besides to get paid. 

The song stuck in my head Currently is Flaming lips- she don’t use jelly, is stuck in my head. Don’t judge me I promise it’s not my first choice of songs lol. 

I mainly read biographies of great people, I’m starting Roosevelt’s The Jungle on an Audio book today! 

As to where I’d fly, I’ve seen some pictures of Asian countries that look incredible, I’d love to go anywhere with different landscapes like the rice patty terraces, I think that would be incredible. 

Devotional, you where an hpally then too huh? The good times of relying on holy power for mans control, are you a still holy paladin? I’d love to hear how they’ve changed since then, from your perspective some time. I haven’t kept up on hpally since then but it was my first love of healing too.  In terms of a dog, I originally wanted a larger dog like a German Shepard, or maybe a pit mix. But, I grew up with hound dogs so In the end I’d probably choose a beagle if I was to choose by breed. I plan to just go to the shelter and feel out the dogs and see what dogs arent being chosen in the end, not opposed to anything since I wouldn’t mind a running partner for a dog or a low energy old man. 

And estarriol, I googled it! Seems interesting, that’s the type of thing I could get behind if it’s well done, but I don’t usually crave out that type of work normally I’ll get the itch or find it interesting every once in a while. I wrote it down as my next thing to check out after this audible book! 

Ps, it feels narcissistic as all else to just keep answering questions instead of like in a conversation when we can take turns. I can’t wait to be done with work soon to hang out and chat! 

Edited by Foxinsocks