Satiana introduction

Satiana

Hello! My name is  Heather, I live in southern California (not a good part!). I'm friends with Jim and Bagel. I met Jim in a raid group when he got super excited about my toon name (back when I was Jasnah) and we became fast book friends. We even both have tattoos from the same book series having to do with the same character (because Matrim is the best). I believe these tattoos predate our friendship and are just a happy coincidence. I had to move for family reason and now I work from home. That, on top of covid, has me living a pretty isolated life, so I really liked reading in the CoC that this guild prioritizes friendship. Anything that makes the world feel larger than just my house seems like a win in 2020. I'm a pharmacy technician, I work retail and I currently work for an insurance company (which honestly feels a little icky sometimes), but I'm pretty good at figuring out how to bring medication costs down and what's needed to get medications approved if they're not covered, so feel free to reach out to me if you ever need help with your prescriptions!

Hi, Heather!

I really enjoyed reading your intro! I'm not familiar with the books you're referring to, I'd love to know more about them if you could elaborate. :) 

I also have a few questions:
1. What dance move are you secretly amazing at? Or maybe not even secretly!
2. What would be the title of your autobiography?
3. If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be and why?

So the book that Jasnah is from is Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives series. There's 4 books out and they are all wonderful. The first is Way of Kings (Jasnah is the best character, btw). The series Jim and I both have tattoos from is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. It is, thankfully, finished. It's like 14 books and they're all 700+ pages, but it's definitely a good read. They both would fall into the "epic fantasy" category and the idea that "oh gnoes the world is ending! we must stop it!", but what epic fantasy doesn't have that story line? I enjoy both because I think they have fun characters and interesting dialog, and the magic system for both is really interesting. Jordan's is a little cliche, but I think he makes it interesting by going into a lot of detail and having a lot of natural laws that it must follow. Sanderson is just amazing at making up new magic systems. One book basis their magic on color, and another on metals. 

Questions!
1. I can't dance, which is definitely not a secret. I've tried. I lack all sense of rhythm. It's actually been a joke amongst all of my friends who have seen it. They call it my white girl wiggle and that's a pretty apt description for it. Is there a dance move where you just kinda stand awkwardly around? Cuz I would knock that one out of the park.

2. In high school, one of my friends joked that if there was a book written about me it would be title, "More unfortunate things than you could possibly imagine", it's been 15 years, but I feel like that title would still be pretty accurate. 

3. This one is hard, because there's a lot of things I would like to be an expert in. I need to pick something that will actually be useful. This might sound like it's cheating, but I wish I was better at pulling necessary information out of instructions. I'm definitely one of those people who can read instructions, but I actually have to get my hands dirty messing with something before the instructions make sense. These usually leads to frustration and having to take things apart after mostly putting them together and realizing I've done something wrong or misunderstand part of the instructions. Life would be a lot easier if I could just read the instructions and grok them. I'm having to sorta remodel a house I have inherited, and it's going to involve redoing the floors and some electrical and some plumbing work. Being able to follow instructions well would be super helpful haha.

4 hours ago, Satiana said:

It is, thankfully, finished. It's like 14 books and they're all 700+ pages

Not by me. I've started it twice and I keep getting series fatigue! I really enjoy it too, but it's a long read haha. Problem is I keep waiting too long and then I feel like I have to start it again. Probably going to pick it back up again soon!

Also I'm Jocelyn, Jim's Ride or Fry :)

Questions for you my new friend!

1. I've heard a whisper that you may have feline friends... WHO ARE THEY WHAT ARE THEIR NAMES DO THEY KNOW I LOVE THEM thx

2. After the very normal previous question... circles or squares?

3. Given that I'm now just thinking about WoT, would you rather be able to wield Saidar or gain Matt's memories? And should I get a WoT tattoo because I keep thinking about it but I HAVEN'T FINISHED THE DAMN SERIES ughhh

1. I have all the cats. I had three cats, then I inherited my dad's cats. So now I have 5 cats and a dog and it's so many animals and they have me outnumbered.

This is Amaia: https://imgur.com/38AWGoN

This is Arkady: https://imgur.com/pd522NF

This is Andellen: https://imgur.com/pYWRVhO

This is Loial: https://imgur.com/V4Xh2fH

This is my dad's cat Kuma: https://imgur.com/N80u0PG
My dad had another cat, Spike, but I don't have any pictures of him. He mostly likes in my roommates room now, but if he comes out I'll try and take a picture.

2. I don't which to pick, circles or squares and now I think I might be in a state of crisis.

3. I think I would want to use Saidar. Like, Mat is super cool, but his memories seem to confuse him and stress him out a lot. I think all the stuff you can do with saidar is pretty awesome.

I can't remember if my WoT tattoo was before the series was over. It was around that time. Just get it now! I'm sure lots of people have SOIAF tattoos and that series will never end.

19 hours ago, orokkevalo said:

1. I've heard a whisper that you may have feline friends... WHO ARE THEY WHAT ARE THEIR NAMES DO THEY KNOW I LOVE THEM thx

Omg, you're killing me hahah.

Arkady is a whole mood, and Loial is the cutest thing I've seen in my entire life.

23 hours ago, Satiana said:

So the book that Jasnah is from is Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives series. There's 4 books out and they are all wonderful. The first is Way of Kings (Jasnah is the best character, btw). The series Jim and I both have tattoos from is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. It is, thankfully, finished. It's like 14 books and they're all 700+ pages, but it's definitely a good read. They both would fall into the "epic fantasy" category and the idea that "oh gnoes the world is ending! we must stop it!", but what epic fantasy doesn't have that story line? I enjoy both because I think they have fun characters and interesting dialog, and the magic system for both is really interesting. Jordan's is a little cliche, but I think he makes it interesting by going into a lot of detail and having a lot of natural laws that it must follow. Sanderson is just amazing at making up new magic systems. One book basis their magic on color, and another on metals. 

Questions!
1. I can't dance, which is definitely not a secret. I've tried. I lack all sense of rhythm. It's actually been a joke amongst all of my friends who have seen it. They call it my white girl wiggle and that's a pretty apt description for it. Is there a dance move where you just kinda stand awkwardly around? Cuz I would knock that one out of the park.

2. In high school, one of my friends joked that if there was a book written about me it would be title, "More unfortunate things than you could possibly imagine", it's been 15 years, but I feel like that title would still be pretty accurate. 

3. This one is hard, because there's a lot of things I would like to be an expert in. I need to pick something that will actually be useful. This might sound like it's cheating, but I wish I was better at pulling necessary information out of instructions. I'm definitely one of those people who can read instructions, but I actually have to get my hands dirty messing with something before the instructions make sense. These usually leads to frustration and having to take things apart after mostly putting them together and realizing I've done something wrong or misunderstand part of the instructions. Life would be a lot easier if I could just read the instructions and grok them. I'm having to sorta remodel a house I have inherited, and it's going to involve redoing the floors and some electrical and some plumbing work. Being able to follow instructions well would be super helpful haha.

Ohhh, okay! Wheel of Time series, my husband has read all/some/none of those. And for the record, the just kinda stand there awkwardly around is definitely a dance move if you decide it is! I definitely don't envy you having to do remodeling work, that's such a undertaking. I think being able to just absorb necessary info from instructions is actually a great answer. I never would have thought of that, it sounds powerful though. You could be an expert at anything that way!

22 minutes ago, Devotional said:

Arkady is a whole mood, and Loial is the cutest thing I've seen in my entire life.

She definitely is. She also has the most crotchety old man meow I've heard in my life, even when she was a kitten (she's about 10 or 11 now). Clairemont can verify, since we lived together for something like 5 or 6 years. She is really sweet though when she wants cuddles lol.

32 minutes ago, Devotional said:

Clairemont or Arkady? 

Arkady just has this "over it" vibe and honestly I stan.

Clairemont is always down to cuddle and is also really sweet. We were roomies for awhile before she got serious with some boy and decided to marry him (traitor). But Arkady is also really sweet when she wants cuddles, but that's all the time. Mainly when it's cold or when Amaia doesn't want anything to do with her, those are the times she'll deign to ask me for attention.