Hello, from Parko

Parko

It's like his own little plot of land, right here.

I like that. I claim this spot of the Internet in the name of vanity!

Just an update or two. I'm still moderately active in WAR. I ended up joining a good guild on my Shaman and took him to R40/RR45 in full Conqueror gear and then decided that I was tired of idiots mouthing off to me about my healing. So, I rolled up a Choppa and took him to R40 too. Choppa is a great class, but squishy as hell without a guard and a healer and since I couldn't get a dedicated premade group going, I shelved him for the time being too.

For the last month or two, I've been back on my Ironbreaker. After the latest server transfer, he's been renamed Pipra now, no longer Parko. I'm almost RR60 with him. I'm on the Volkmar server, but we've still got a lot of the same old names and faces from Monolith, both on Order and Destruction.

Anyway, take care, I'll probably log back in in six months and say hello again. :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Mono holding up? I think about patching WAR and re-subbing every now and then...I just don't know if I could face more disappointment...or even worse, I dread that they may have finally got it right and no one plays now D=

Monolith died a lonely death ages ago. The US servers have been consolidated down to only four now (Badlands, Gorfang, Iron Rock, Volkmar). It seems like many of the order guild that hung around went to Volkmar. I think Tribe went to Badlands, but I'm not sure.

The game has vastly improved from what it was, but there are still plenty of inequities. Most recently, they've added an underdog bonus system called All Out Assault (AAO) that gives you up to 400% increases in XP and Renown when you're outnumbered and that's really encouraged players to fight even when the odds are against them. (Or, more specifically, to set up ambush groups and gank solo players whenever possible. :p)

Badlands is currently the game's busiest server, so much so that it's being crushed under its own weight and has frequent outages. They're going to start prohibiting trial accounts from playing on it to reduce the strain. My Destruction characters (40 Shaman, 40 Choppa) are over there.

Anyway, they have a re-enlistment campaign thing that gives you a free 10 day trial period, plus some bonus quests and items if you want to give it a try:

https://accounts.eamythic.com/war/reactivate

See you around.

Ack. Really, 2 days ago when I removed the FFXIV beta. I went through and removed all my old games. Or else I would of been tempted to take a looky.

I removed War, LotRO, my test copy version of EQ2, Istaria, D&D Stormreach, Aion, and Fallen Earth. I kept EQ2 live servers and EvE. I ended up with 300 gigs free instead of the 20 gigs free I had before removing all the games both MMO and not.

So I did a bold thing. I re-sized my existing partition, and created a new one! I now have a place to just install games. So I should be able to frequently defrag it with out it taking over night to do it.

Some people are big advocates of the multi partition model.

My plan is to get two small solid-state drives (30-60GB each). One will have my operating system and nothing else. The other will have my current game(s). Then my hard disk will be just for old games or data files.

With SSD's its actually important that you do not defrag them. It provides no speed boost and shortens their lifespan. The idea with SSD's is to try to do as few read/write operations as you can. Since MMO's are an odd beast and involve so much texture loading and unloading, I am thinking an SSD will provide a nice boost, especially for games like LotRO or AION that were known for their "loading spikes" when bringing up textures from disk.

Whoops! Yeah, I meant Volkmar, I knew Mono was gone.

400%? That's crazy. Did they implement the ugly gear changes? I remember a lot of the BW stuff was getting a change for the worse....but then I heard that once you had a armour piece they were going to let you use the skin from any of them you wanted for any piece?:Confused:

Yeah, they added an appearance system that lets you overlay the appearance of any similar item on top of the usual appearance for that item. Say, for example, that you really like the look of those Tier 1 shoulders and want to use that appearance instead of your Conqueror piece. You just go to the Appearance tab and drag the T1 piece over on top of it.

Sounds good so far, right? But wait, here is the lameness...The appearance only works for your own Faction. How you see yourself will not be how your enemies see you.

That is typical and the rationale is that it is important to be able to recognize one's opponent on the battlefield. So I don't necessarily disagree with them on that. If the TTK (time to kill) is less than a minute or less than 30 seconds, more likely, then requiring that you be hit by a few moves (AND recognize those moves immediately) before you can even know what you're fighting is unreasonable. It's even more unreasonable in the context of large (20 on 20, 40 on 40) battles.

Edited by Ashin