Serenity

The nice thing about the movie is, I don't think you need to see the series to appreciate it. However, I was disappointed in it. Here's my cross-post from another forum where I talked about it:

I felt the series pilot flowed better, and that "Mr. Universe" guy kind of came out of left field. Badger was a bit part, but he was really well developed as a character in his first series scene. Same thing with Niska: bit character, but I had a strong sense of who he was. This Universe guy, though ... *shrug* I didn't know if he was a crusader, or a punk who liked to outsmart the system, or a thief living the good life, or a kid who was consumed by his curiosity to see everything, or what.

I wanted to see more soul-searching from Mal, too. I know he was at the end of his rope; I know he hated to push that guy off the mule; I know it was supposed to be a key, "the hero is back" moment when he realized that yes, he was willing to die to see that recording broadcast. I feel like that's only because I know Mal so well from the series, though. I really would have liked to see more soul-searching from him, somewhere along the way. Maybe an extended conversation with Book. (And about him being at the end of his rope: Mal had some awfully jolly moments, there. I won't say it was out of character, but some of the humor from him seemed a little excessive, given his ragged state, and I didn't feel the tense "I'm covering up my true feelings" undertones that I would have expected to feel in a real person acting that way.)

River gets a little too much camera time, too, whereas the relationship between Kaylee and Simon doesn't get enough. Just a single scene would have helped, showing the sexual tension between the two of them, and an example of him making a conscious decision to do something for River instead of pursuing Kaylee (preferably with Kaylee remaining in the dark until the final reveal).

More surrounding Wash would have been better -- particularly in the last couple scenes. I know Zoe's got the whole stoic warrior thing going on, but "I weep for him, because he cannot weep for himself" and all that: let Inara say the things Zoe would never say; let Inara drive the emotions home that Zoe could never show us.

All in all, it was a pretty respectable flick. The theme about meddling, and the road to hell being paved with good intentions? It resonates. The movie tells a story, instead of being (just) an excuse to blow things up.

I do want very much to get past this theatrical release, though, and get a chance to see the Director's Cut. I suspect Joss had to cut some valuable bits to get the movie to the size it was.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ash there is already a babalon5 movie;)

Joss whedon said if the movie maid 50mil or more he would produce another season/movie(forgot which one).

Maybe book will come away from his theator works for more season episodes and more on his past and the hands of blue:)

last i checked it was around 15mil:(, go see it again you slackers!