Ranks Defined

Ashin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your point/intention -- but, in my opinion, this is a pretty offensive statement. Nothing is ever black and white.

Life isn't, but rules by their nature need to be. We've always viewed "i'm taking a break from games" as different from "i'm leaving this guild to be with another." I don't think that is an unreasonable distinction. Note that there is no implication here that we are hostile toward people in the Friend rank. That's why we call them Friends. At issue is whether or not automatic reinstatement to Vet is allowed, or whether it would have be re-earned.

Misdirected hostility, that's what you've got, you see!

You so crazy!!! If rules were black and white, there'd be no legal profession! :p

Because I like questions: Why am I forfeiting a status when the guild I was/am loyal to knowingly chose a path that I objected? That isn't my loyalty which is the issue or should be questioned. Although it was 2 years in, it's a bit bait and switch. Loyalty is being defined/rewarded here as absolute obedience, despite outside forces?

And before you say it, yes, I am aware that it is your right to change your guild as you choose. For what it is worth, you can set my title to whatever you wish -- you can't label me, Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

:)

If rules were black and white, there'd be no legal profession! :p

Well, you may have a point there.

I don't want answer your question with respect to your case specifically because I haven't figured out what your title should be yet. But going back to our ancient roots, before there was even such a thing as the senior member rank, before there were social ranks - before even officers existed! - veteran rank was very pure. It literally and inflexibly meant: when the guild decided to leave one game and play a different game instead, you chose to follow the guild. The rationale was that, by doing this, you demonstrated that the people you play with are more important than the game itself. That was considered the hallmark of a Veteran of SoH.

Over the years we have modified that. For example we decided that members of our WoW chapter who stayed with us for multiple expansions deserved the title as well. And now we have social ranks (previously a Vet could go inactive for 3 years and still be a Vet). So the waters have gotten muddy. But I wanted to just explain the origins of Vet so you understand where the sense of 'absolute' loyalty comes from.

What about people who have played actively and participated with the guild for YEARS in several different chapters, in fact have lead chapters, and decide to stop playing in a particular chapter because of "events". Yet still actively participate on the forum and with members in games that are not "official". Are they "friends"?

Edited by Proof

Generally if someone leaves the guild to join another guild within the same game, Veteran status is considered forfeit. However this part is a bit complicated as, for example, it is very common for people to belong to multiple guilds in WoW. We've never objected to someone having an alt in another guild, provided that they maintain their membership in good standing with the current chapter.

The circumstances for departure must also be considered. For the Vet title to be maintained I would need to feel that they left on the best possible terms, certainly.

The way I read it, you are better off leaving "on good terms" and not communicating with the guild for very long stretches of time apposed to disagreeing with something leaving the guild's chapter, yet actively participating every day... Interesting.

Edited by Proof

• Fera unpinned this topic