It gets a little closer every day

Vanguard has entered Beta 1. Applications are being mailed out to all forum members this week (if you haven't registered yet, you're too late - HAHAHAHA). Glad to see that it's moving along, and hopefully I can coerce SoH to move over to it once it's out "sometime in 2006."

Other than that, things are goin' great!

Vanguard and Age of Conan are top on my personal list, but we haven't really discussed it as a guild. AO is really a *great* game though, and gets stronger with time, so we'll just have to see what happens.

Awesome of you to keep in touch and keep us posted though! :)

I don't know much about Age of Conan, but I've always been a fan of Howard's original works (they directly contributed to my love of fantasy as a child) and some of the pastiche works as well by Jordan and de Camp. Anyone care to drop a bit of knowledge about the game so I don't have to sift through the forum info there?

Well the most novel aspect of the game is that it starts as a single player game. For your first 20 levels, I believe, it is designed to be a very story-driven single player tale. Then you graduate into the mmo part. The mmo part is very pvp oriented, with castle sieges and what not. Also innovative is that the combat system is supposed to use a lot of realtime controls so that its a little closer to an action-game in feel.

/edit: Oh and one thing the game director has stressed is that they really want to capture the feel of the original novels. They are working hard to make a truly dark setting, and not a typical fantasy world. (However they did mention they would tone down some of the less appropriate aspects of the original novels, ie, racism, etc)

/agree with Ashin

You have to be in the right mindset too to really get into pvp, once I came to terms that I am going to die, and die alot and then work thru that and figure out how your class works in PvP it became a total blast and addiction. I guess part of the reason why WoW is so appealing to me right now - its not the most hardcore pvp, but its a blast so far and almost stopped me from leveling because I am always mixing it up.. I dont see why people rush to 60 in that game.. any game for that matter.

True story: I was having dinner with a young lady this week (on my birthday! *bounce*), and I was explaining MMORPGs to her. I described creating a paper doll, and dressing it up, and then going into the game and hunting rabbits and wolves. I explained about seeing other people's dolls in the game, and they were really people all over the country, and you could team up together and hunt together.

She immediately made the leap to, "Could I attack the other people instead?"