Our logo! (56k death)

pyroglyphix

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried a little green-screening, and I really think he needs to take the background color and blend it to the image. Dropping the surrounding black straight to "transparent" creates a really harsh boundary.

sohmothlogo.gif

See what I mean? You want the image to blend into the background, not lay on top of it.

Of course, taking that approach, you'd want different images for different background colors. /sigh

Sebby, changing the logo should be simple enough. Even in a worst-case scenario, all it takes is going through the templates and replacing "subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif" with something else. Mind you, the Moth Logo is much larger than the one in the subSilver template, so you'd need to solve some position issues regarding the command buttons.

I'm sorry fellas, but how is a moth a metaphor for South of Heaven? I guess it could be anything of an 'earthly' plane of existence right?

It looks great Pyro (as all of your work does). You are indeed gifted.

The dark background seems to be important for the logo to "make sense." Moths on white background seem more like butterflies.

I feel good about this direction for sure. It might be nice to see some variations with the font, the background (I mean the NASA photo thing you've got going, not the black), and perhaps the moth itself (intentionally discolor, some sort of other effect?).

Anyway I like what you have so don't do this stuff if its a bother.. but if you still feel like playing maybe we could have some variations.

In the meantime, I'll start searching the php code for that logofile so I can do some find-and-replace operations.

It will be nice to give the phpbb logo the boot, although that makes me feel somewhat ungrateful.. but it just needs to go.

What I'd like to do, rather than import a skin that can mess things up, is perhaps make a clone of subsilver and start to play with those files. I can give you site admin rights so that you can do the same Glyff. We'll work on a seperate template so that if we screw up, the original is still available.

I'm sorry fellas, but how is a moth a metaphor for South of Heaven? I guess it could be anything of an 'earthly' plane of existence right?

Much to learn, you still have.

Psyche signifies at the same time soul and butterfly. The myth was interpreted by playing on this double sense. It became the story of the soul touched by divine love, but which, by reason of the mistakes made, must undergo some tribulations before having access to happy immortality. The night butterfly [the moth] attracted by the flame, like the soul attracted by heavenly truths, burns in the flame, reflection of the trials that must be endured to eliminate the fleshy sink-stones before knowing the joys of the beyond.

The story referred to in the above quote is the myth of Psyche and Eros. The moth attracted to flame became a metaphor for Psyche's love, and since psykhe also means "soul" in Greek, the connection between the moth and the soul was first made.

Although the moth attracted to flame has been watered down in modern times, to suggest a dangerous love affair, you can see the more pure meaning in the original Greek myth. The "love" in this case was Divine, not earthly. The moth's attraction to flame is meant to suggest the instrinsic need for Man to know the truth, and approach the Divine. In order to do so, however, one must first pass through the fire...

It is before such a flame that our characters find themselves, just South of Heaven.

Or, as Ashin, Grody and Zyco say in our charter:

"Norrath is also a place just south of heaven, wouldn't you say? Perhaps we're not as far off as we think," he said, smirking mischievously.

"Ye got yer head up in tha' clouds again lad," said Grody laughing. "Oi know fer certain me heart's gone straight fer tha' coals!"

"Well then, " said Zyco with an enlightened grin, "Which one of you fools is willing to stick your hands in the fire to get it back?"