You know you're from <insert State> when...

flip

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thump that bible. Yup. Also no liquor or wine in grocery stores but that all politic now.

Here in Tennessee where the great Jack Daniel's is distilled...you can't buy it in the county they make it. It still a dry county.

When we lived in TN, I wanted to make a bourbon apple cobbler. I couldn't find any bourbon. I went to the next town over. No liquor there either. I finally asked someone. They told me i would need to drive to KENTUCKY to buy my "hooch" (with a serious face), "we don't sell that booze around these parts".

*Ahem*. In Canada, alcohol is available any day of the week, all day, everyday.... all year round. Not only that, but you can start purchasing alcoholic beverages at the tender age of 18.

That is not actually true, young lady! It is in AB, but in BC most are closed on Sunday, and it is run by the Province, and the drinking age is 19, in Canada the Provinces can dictate that age, so long as it is not below...17 with a parent present, if I recall.

*Ahem*. In Canada, alcohol is available any day of the week, all day, everyday.... all year round. Not only that, but you can start purchasing alcoholic beverages at the tender age of 18.

Ya, I went to undegrad at the University of Minnesota - Duluth, and oft times I would hear about kids heading to the border (Canadia) to drink for a weekend because the drinking age is 18 up there. Minnesota is the only place I know of where you can't buy beer on Sundays, however they're trying to make it so that they can. I remember driving around when I first moved to Chicago looking for a liquor store, then being really surprised most of them are hidden in the grocery stores :eek:

I have never heard of this no alcohol purchasing on Sunday? Is this a southern / bible belt region custom? That seems really funny to me! (athiest)

Actually quite a few states follow that rule, at least here on the east coast.

I don't think Virginia does, though. But here you can only buy hard liquor through government owned stores. :Confused: Beer and wine you can get at the supermarket and I'm pretty sure I can buy that any day of the week.

In Massachusetts there is strictly no booze sold on Sunday. And I think New Jersey has no booze on Sunday either.

(You can of course buy it at a restaurant just not bottles to take home.)

Many ABC stores in Virginia are closed on Sunday. Beer and wine are sold in the grocery store like Ashin said, everything else can only be purchased from an ABC store. The ones that are open, are only open from 1-6. There are also some specialty wine stores.

Back in the 80's, Virginia still had Blue Laws, and almost everything was closed on Sunday.

1.You have a 2 satallites in your yard, one for tv other for internet.

2.Ya'll is a proper word that combines you and all

3. Your uncle buck and aunt bertha are the same person just different days. (I don't have this one in my family but i've questioned others.lol)

4. You know what a polecat is and what it smells like.

5. You know it's a good day when someone is burning a couch.

6. you have one or more large appliances on you front or back porch. (grew up with the washing machine there, now it's the chest freezer)

7. You have a couch or chair from in your house you've replaced that is still being used on the front or back porch. (everyone it seems has this...there is still a love seat on the front porch of the old house)

8. When your neighbors are your family even though they aren't blood related.

9. you call alot of ppl granny even though none of them actually are your granny.

10. You can fart a mile down the road and the town will know you did it by the time you got home.

11. you know how to can squirrel/rabbit/sausage/deer and other things.

12. you had a squirrel tail on your bicycle somewhere.

13. You know all the deer trails and back roads

14. You like to sit by the crick just fishing and watching the water.

15. You've had to chase the coons from your feed barrels, rats from your hen house and bears out of the trash can.

16. You consider throwing rotten tomatoes or potatos at each other viable entertainment when you're harvesting them from the garden.

17. You've been corning at least once in your life.

18. You've been on a snipe hunt.

This list could go on forever.

I'll end it now though.lol

Lunar

Edited by lunarfrost