Ashin

Advancement Tracks

The purpose of this thread is to open a conversation that started about a week ago in the Applicant Review board. The question, broadly speaking, is whether to add structure or definition to the guild ranks.

Before responding, please be sure you are familiar with the current ranking system. While this system seems to have a large number of ranks, there are essentially only three: leader, member, recruit. Certain members are considered more "established" or "trusted", and they are invited to participate in the applicant review process, as well as possibly execute specific responsibilities as a game officer. But it is an intentionally flat structure.

As one Veteran put it, this structure was not simple due to laziness, but rather it was intentionally simple. The guild is essentially a group of peers.

There are two problems that I am having with the current structure.

1. There is ambiguity about whether certain ranks carry "higher expectations". Veteran is an automatic promotion, but due to title and position, newer recruits may look at Veterans' actions as an indication of how they can/should act. It is not necessarily fair to assert that, because someone has been loyal to the guild, that higher expectations should be imposed on them. Some folks are content just to be Indians; they do not want to be Chiefs. :thumbup:

2. As the guild has grown in size and prowess, the task of leading it becomes harder to do alone. Therefore I feel there may be a need for additional leadership / counsel, in order to avoid my experiencing an ulcer or heart attack. :)

With this in mind, we are considering the establishment of two seperate "tracks" for ranking within the guild.

a) The first "track" would be based on loyalty & time served. This would be an automatic advancement with certain milestones established. For example, 3 mo., 6 mo., etc. In addition one idea I had was that members would earn "badges" for each chapter served. So, for example, Skaka, who has played EQ2, AO, WoW, WAR and AION with the guild would be a five-badge or five-star veteran. Ideally these badges would display visually, either by your avatar or in your profile.

Advancement in this track would make you eligible for participation in Applicant Review, as well as assuming leadership roles in game. However, there would be no expectation that you assume such a role.

b) The second "track" would be based on merit & deeds done. This would *not* be an automatic advancement, nor would it necessarily be permanent. Members who exibit exceptional or exemplary characteristics, or members who take an active interest/role in leading and organizing the guild (ie, making Ashin's life easier) would advance up this track.

We're not sure if there would be one step or multiple steps here. However, advancement up this track would make you eligible for participation in some yet-unamed body, which would essentially be my personal counsel / board of directors.

Potential concerns:

i) We do not want a sekret "officer board" to become a crutch for holding closed conversations that could be held openly.

ii) We do not want rank to be devisive.

With that said, my tentative plan is to hash out an agreement via this thread, and set up the new ranks when I set up the new forums (which, in theory, will take place in early April). So we have three or four weeks to talk this through, and if we cannot develop a solid plan together, we will just keep things as they currently are.

Please take some time to gather your thoughts and then share them.

:Like i said on the recruitment boards, it's time for some changed and restucturing and you have pretty hit the nail on the head on how to handle it. So,:thumbup:

Actually Hyna reminds me of something. If you are a vet and have already participated in the prior version of this thread, you might want to restate your thoughts here, since everyone can read them now. ;)

You've done a good job of summing up the key results of the thread so I'm not going to add too much more. I've always liked the simple structure of SoH, but the guild has grown a lot in a very short time during Aion. It is also finding itself entering an endgame as demanding on structure as high level endgame raiding. With each game, we need to be flexible enough to adapt to it's demands, adapt to our newer members, and keep things running smoothly as members step in and out of the chapter for various reasons given the nature of our guild. This should also help so that our leaders don't burn/lose enjoyment. I support the ideas put forth so far and will only include one rehash which you have already summed up.

Yes, SoH would most likely benefit currently from this differentiation. The 2 groups aren't necessarily exclusive, but we have a wide spectrum of personalities and this would help some as the guild continues to grow. It is wrong to think that just because someone has played in more than one chapter, that they want to have a bigger role in the guild. Nor is it right to feel that because someone is in their first SoH chapter, that they really can't play a big role in keeping things running smoothly

My thoughts are secret. I will never give them up!

I basically agree with Ashin's post, seeing as he merged all our good points from the previous super secret meeting we had in our underground lair, on a tropical island.

I am probably more inclined to go with track a over b, simply because at this point in time I don't have a whole lot of time to contribute in-game to the guild. However, I do like both systems.

I did a lot of posting in that thread :) but it was mostly along the lines of evolving the discussion (or attempting to!)

I was ultimately in favor of a less formal arrangement, where we would keep most of the ranks and structure we have now, and Ashin could use whoever he thought best as a sounding board for any particular problem(s), more like just a personal network. If my opinion seems not to address the issues laid out in the OP, part of that is because the discussion started a lot narrower than what we are talking about now. I still believe we do not need such large changes. I do agree with one rank being loyalty/time-based and one rank being more responsibility/expectation/merit-based. I don't think that just because someone spends a long time with the guild that they want to have the bar raised in front of them for no reason with regard to how they are expected to act.

Now, I would not be a part of a close personal network (full disclosure!), or at least I have no reason to believe that I would be, so it's not like I want any sooper seKret infoz privilege that could come with the "unofficial counsel" idea above. Furthermore, from what I have seen, I don't believe that Ashin thinks that course of action would solve our problems sufficiently, but I do want to see if anyone else agrees with me, and I like discussing guild policy anyway. Aside from that, I was asked to repost my ideas here. :D Seemingly contradictorily, I do want Ashin to do what he feels he needs to in order to get a better handle on this bigger boat of a guild that we have now.

I do like the sounds of option A. and not just because my name is in it:). As the guild is growing and growing and growing somethings are going to have to change. As far as the super secret O boards are concerned not everyone may want them but in all honesty the applicant review board has been serving as the...secret forum for some time now. Sometimes things need to be discussed with little disclosure to the rest of the guild at first. One thing I have learned over the years with SoH is that there may be topics that start it private channels or the former Officer forums but the important discussions that effect the guild always wind up for discussion in the members area as well.