Ashin

(AT) Loyalty / Time Served

Original thread here: http://www.sohguild.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5693

In this thread we'll focus specifically on the advancement track based on loyalty and time served. For this thread I would like to focus on a few particular questions that I have:

1. Am I framing it correctly when I say "loyalty and time-served"? Words matter, and I want to make sure those are the right nouns to be rewarding with this track.

2. How many ranks, and at what intervals? Here there is a certain tradeoff, because more ranks and intervals means more work. On the other hand, everyone likes small doses of recognition (that's why mmo's have quests).

3. What benefits accrue at what ranks? Specifically we need to consider when to grant access to the applicant review, when and IF to grant access to the upcoming "officer board", and any other benefits. For example there could be some forum-based niceties like "you can make polls now" or "you get more storage space on the site for uploads and pm's".

4. Should we award "badges" for each chapter served? If so, how long do you have to be in the chapter to earn your badge? One day? One week? One month? Etc..

5. What should be the names of the ranks? The hardest question by far!

Looking forward to your input.

1) I think "loyalty" is a meh ranking as it implies the other's are not so loyal. Same with "time served", sounds like jail time! For loyalty, how about a synonym for "investors" as it's more accurate as to what they've done, will be doing? Bust out a thesaurus! For time served, how about "pledged" or "dedicated" or along those lines. They could be just a loyal as the leadership, but not investing as much of their personal energy into leading the guild.

2 & 3. Oh hell if I know.

4. Badges are a good idea, I think. I don't think there should be a time limit to get a badge, though. A vet bought the game, didn't care for it. Shouldn't matter how much time they spent in the game, I don't think. Or rather, they shouldn't get penalized simply because they knew after the first few hours of gaming that they wouldn't like the game. It's a small thing, though, and not worth splitting hairs over, imo.

5. I'm not in the army. Don't confuse me with rank names! I'm all in favor of a simple roman numeral system, frankly. :O

1. Am I framing it correctly when I say "loyalty and time-served"? Words matter, and I want to make sure those are the right nouns to be rewarding with this track.

Sounds good.

2. How many ranks, and at what intervals? Here there is a certain tradeoff, because more ranks and intervals means more work. On the other hand, everyone likes small doses of recognition (that's why mmo's have quests).

3 ranks. Veteran. Sergeant Veteran. Senior Veteran. I'm not sure what you refer to by "intervals."

3. What benefits accrue at what ranks? Specifically we need to consider when to grant access to the applicant review, when and IF to grant access to the upcoming "officer board", and any other benefits. For example there could be some forum-based niceties like "you can make polls now" or "you get more storage space on the site for uploads and pm's".

I think it would be nice if veterans could edit their titles when they edit their threads. ;)

But I think that if a member has been selected and accepted into the guild for Aion and has shown dedication by switching from one MMO to the next one, that must mean that they have proven themselves a proper fit for SoH. Thus (knowing what a good SoH member is), they would be a good addition to the applicant review.

It is nice to be able to make polls, as long as it is relevant to the forum it is placed in. Perhaps either at Veteran rank or at Sergeant Veteran rank.

I do like this idea, interested in seeing how it goes.

4. Should we award "badges" for each chapter served? If so, how long do you have to be in the chapter to earn your badge? One day? One week? One month? Etc..

Badges sound like an excellent way to reward members and veterans for sticking with the guild. As long as it doesn't promote a "better-than-you" attitude.

1 month sounds adequate.

Veteran. Sergeant Veteran. Senior Veteran.

Edited by Mithras

I am curious how this impacts someone like me?

I have been in SoH and played multi games with the guild; however, as Biscuits mentioned above, there have been cases where I didn't really get into the game (e.g. Aion) or I have been behind the leveling curve due to a late start (e.g. WAR). In both cases, I have purchased the game, played with the guild when I could, and remained loyal, but as it stands I think I am one of the longest standing members to never have been promoted (I think it is creeping up on a year). How does my previous time-served/loyalty play into this new ranking system?

I agree with Biscuits in regards to the term(s) used. I think perhaps something that doesn't infer a "lack of" on the part of others would serve well. Even a simple "member since: ###." It shows longevity and dedictation.

Off the cuff, I would would have to base this on what I have seen in previous guilds. Recruit, Junior-Member, Member, Veteran, Advisor, Officer, Guild Leader... or something similar. This is more guild dependant and varies with the specific needs of the guild and it's members.

I believe the primary functions of the board should be available as soon as someone is accepted as a member to the guild (i.e. polls, posting, etc.); however, things like additiona PM space and whatnot would be a nice look boon for addition ranks without taking away overall usability.

I would have to think on these more.

Tom

Edited by Tom

1) Disco

2) Discofire

3) Discoinferno

You know you want to.

***Edit***

I will have more valid inupt to put here when I stop gettin interrupted at work. :mad:

I think you are trying to make it too complicated. I'd keep it simple as either vet or not. If you play in more than one SoH chapter, you are a vet and gain access to the applicant review board just like now. The only change I'd make to our current vet set up is adding in a badge of honor for each chapter served in. This promotion line is a purely honorary line and the only benefit it should have over general membership is the ability to review applicants.

As to how long to serve in a chapter to have it count, I personally wouldn't want it to be longer than a month to gain credit, or you keep it vague since everyone's contribution is different.

I think you are trying to make it too complicated. I'd keep it simple as either vet or not. If you play in more than one SoH chapter, you are a vet and gain access to the applicant review board just like now. The only change I'd make to our current vet set up is adding in a badge of honor for each chapter served in. This promotion line is a purely honorary line and the only benefit it should have over general membership is the ability to review applicants.

ECHO

I tend to agree.

I am undecided on the time to earn a badge.

Well, two things, one easy to say and one a bit more sensitive.

The easy one: we hope our chapters have some longevity to them. I commit to nine months minimum when I say I will lead a chapter. I do think there should be some acknowledgment and recognition of someone who has been there 3 or 6 or 9 months. In MMO-time six months is a lifetime! (perspective: we haven't even played AION for six months yet..) On a more practical note, as older vets wane in and out of the picture, the chapter requires "new blood" to be actively engaged in the membership process.

So I would personally favor at least 1 time-based promotion during a single game tenure.

The hard one: of course I'm very happy to have any nice people that would like to play games with us in any capacity. However, in these threads we are talking about advanced ranks, promotions, etc. Promotion should acknowledge and "reward" (even if just in silly ways) the kind of behavior that the guild wants to encourage. Of course nice people who want to spend two days with the guild and then vanish are allowed to do so - but do those people need to be promoted for it? I don't think that makes sense, personally.

Ultimately the guild needs a certain portion of membership who are actively engaged in what the guild is doing, interested in helping the guild enjoy those things fully, etc. I'm not sure that fiddling around with a game for a few days really constitutes that. I'm certainly not suggesting that we kick or punish or tease those people. I'm simply stating that I don't see how doing that is grounds for promotion. Member seems like an appropriate rank for a person in that situation.

Putting it another way, if that person is very interested in being promoted, then actively engaging in a guild chapter is the place where they should start.

Good points. I'm more concerned about this advancement track being made more complicated than it has to be. The merit based track is going to be complicated enough, so I'd prefer to keep the more honorary track simple.

The hard one: of course I'm very happy to have any nice people that would like to play games with us in any capacity. However, in these threads we are talking about advanced ranks, promotions, etc. Promotion should acknowledge and "reward" (even if just in silly ways) the kind of behavior that the guild wants to encourage. Of course nice people who want to spend two days with the guild and then vanish are allowed to do so - but do those people need to be promoted for it? I don't think that makes sense, personally.

I played WAR (guilded) from my start date until nearly everyone else stopped playing and moved on to several other games while waiting for Aion. I didn't realize guild status was being counted on a "what have you done for me lately" basis. :rolleyes:

I will, however, bow out in an effort to keep from pulling the subject away from your intended post.

Tom