Sebster

Crevin

In one of the lastest Darkfall chat sessions they talked about how they moved to Greece and pretty much had to start over will mostly new unexperienced staff. That's got to make you skeptical.

With MMO's anymore it seems like a game is not worth playing until its been out for two years and has worked out its kinks. So for me its hard to get excited about all the new titles coming out.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to trying out Darkfall, because of the possibility of land control. The FPS concept makes me wary, though -- I'm just not good at FPS games, and I don't know how much I can enjoy one. The history of Darkfall's production schedule is a sore point, too. Hard to keep faith.

Horizons was the most innovative game I've seen come to market since Shadowbane. It really had a flavor, to toss around a word that's been used often in this thread. Nothing can get past broken gameplay, though, and the large-scale combat just didn't work. This, in a game that was designed around large-scale PvE raids to unlock new server content.

WoW did a spectacular job of bringing FPS-rated ping times and control interfaces to an MMO. It wasn't an FPS, because it was select-a-target, but the movement and timing of abilities made it a very active game. If it had included land control, it might have been a winner. (It still very much is a winner, for hordes of people -- pun intended.)

As much as I'm watching Darkfall, I'm also anticipating Vanguard, Hero's Journey, and Roma Victor. Any one of those games could turn out to be a winner. After seeing Silk Road, though, I begin to suspect the Next Big Thing will turn out to be some game I will have never heard of until it suddenly hits downloadable status.

Dark and Light is dead to me. *snifs imperiously* And I still miss Shadowbane.

Shadowbane = worst piece of crap game with best PvP in my opinion. Even the PvP was the type where a select few get to participate in all areas of the PvP while the rest of us sit and wait for decisions. Everybody touts this as the best game, but there were only a few things this game got right really. I just dont get it. UO was so much better with a similar quality of graphics.

I still sometimes miss SB, but thats another one of those games where I see it being pointless to level.. you should just existed from day 1 at max level and go pvp. The PvE in the game WAS fun when groups of equal level or so people came by and tried to fight for the area you are exping in.. instead of a bunch of max level guys run around killing everyone. They bot to 60+ and then get at the keyboard, train, equip and kill.

For me, playing SB showed me what PvP really can be in an mmo. For largescale PvP and player-driven politics, I think nothing has even come close to what SB accomplished. Combine that with a brilliantly complex class design system (only AO could compare to it in cleverness), and you have a winner.

However games like WoW and Guildwars show us a "newer" interpretation of MMO pvp that is faster in pace, and allows the individual player's "skill" and reflexes to come much more into play. There's no denying the "twitchy" factor makes things a lot more exciting, even if it removes some of the chess-like elegance that a game such as SB could boast.

Conan has me psyched because it might possibly be a marriage of the two: twitchy fast paced game controls, with rich siege warfare and player-built kingdoms. Of course, that assumes that Funcom can deliver a product stable and responsive enough for the twitch factor to actually come into play. In a sense their track record is poor with AO (awesome game, terrible technology), but I must believe they have learned a tremendous amount over the past four years so I have a lot of confidence.

SB's failing, like AO, was partly technical imo. But also a fundamental letdown for me was to have such a rich set of lore and backstory, without any meaningful content whatsoever in the game. I mean.. it was truly terrible.. like Zyco said, I almost so no point in having levels at all. Just have people automatically gain 10 levels per 24 hours and save people the trouble of breaking the EULA and macroing.

Ooo I always enjoy these types of discussions. The perfect game to me would go something like this.

1. Graphis of Lineage 2

2. PVE fun and complexity of AO/WOW/EQ2

3. Personal Crafting and housing of UO

4. Large scale pvp/politics/land control of SB

5. Skill based characters, no levels like in UO but more depth in the skill and spell system. Something like SB's variety in races and skills.

6. A world as vast as EVE but with more depth and lore.

7. A dedicated staff that ran events that would go in line with the lore. I loved how Ashersons call did this with each server. Each server was actually different because some servers failed the in game quests and cities were destroyed. I loved that.

Really the key to a fun mmo is so simple. The more freedom you give the players, the more pleasure they will find in the world. Each of you think back to the many games you have played. The games that you felt you personally could influence or change the world, I bet you enjoyed much more. Whether you stood atop the walls of Lion's Pride repelling siege after siege, charged the flags at Gludio or stood at the east bridge outside of Britan demanding gold from adventurers passing by, the games that gave me those moments of freedom, I will always treasure.