'Trine's in Trouble

Etrine

I believe my video card is on its last legs. I was online for awhile today, for a bit I had no problems and then at random intervals I drop to 4 FPS, areas and models quit rendering and I can't really do much of anything. I tried dropping my settings and leaving my comp off for a little while I logged off.

It didn't help. It started doing so again during my Dredge run so I couldn't see anything other then red names for the opposing faction and I couldn't see mobs at all. I was healing and praying they were taking on my group. It had evened out a bit when I was nabbed for Alukina and I went in hopes that it would stay normal long enough for me to help bring her down. It was a mistake, my apologies I probably should have just logged out but I wanted to get to see something I'd not yet seen in the game.

So, I will likely not be on very often in the immediate future. I do not have the cash for a new card right away but I'll see if I can't manage something soon. As of right now the game is mostly unplayable.

Just for the heads up, yes, she's tried shift+F12, it's not her problem.

Also, I'm gonna see if I can get an advance on money owed me and see if we can get her a passable card if that's what indeed is wrong, so this shouldn't be a problem for too long.

What you're describing sounds like a bug that used to effect all of us whenever our machines got too stressed / framerates dropped too low. However it was fixed several months ago. To be honest I will be surprised if that turns out to be a broken video card.

I would try reinstalling the drivers, directx9, and even the operating system before I reached that conclusion. Alternately you could try swaping video cards with Jeskal and see if that fixes your problem + gives him the problem.

This isn't the first time this has gone on. Last time it occurred I asked around on AionSource if it was something that had happened to others (the random loss of FPS, the lack of stuff loading is new and displeasing) and I uninstalled all my video card drivers and reinstalled them, installed my Win7 upgrade, did a fresh install of the game and still it did it once in awhile. It has never been as bad as it was yesterday though. Also, it only seems to go on when the temp outside gets warm, although it isn't my comp overheating. I know that was one of the things folks walked me through checking.

I also have an integrated card which is why I'd thought it might the issue. I don't think they're really meant to be running stuff like Aion. I'm open to suggestions though. I'll run the repair and run the game and see what happens. I'd like to be on for the weekend. At points like this I'm kinda sad I've not been interested in another MMO so I can pinpoint if this is just Aion or if another game would have the same problem.

Edited by Etrine

You could download a trial of something, or test on a single player game.

Onboard video can be problematic, tho, I think. You should be able to get very reasonable performance from a midrange ATI or nVidia card for ~$100.