Ashin

Forum ranks

How to use IPB's forum title systems:  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should we implement forum titles based on post-count, in addition to your guild rank?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. If we do not, which image concept do you prefer for guild rank imagery?

• Simple text.
    • Military / badges.
    • Other (explain in a post below).

A feature you may have noticed in IPB is that you can have "ranks" or titles based on post count. Currently, most users have their title set to match their group (guild rank).

There is no way to disable the post count-based rank/title system. However, you can override it by setting up custom images for each group. This could be something as simple as a jpg of the word "Veteran", or more elaborate like a military badge system of icons.

Having forum titles based on post count has pro's and con's. On the one hand, it can be fun and also rewards those who are more active in our out-of-game community. On the other hand, it can encourage spam, and somewhat goes against our past position that we don't care about post count as much as reading. If you read but are shy about posting, we're fine with that.

So, I'd like to set up a poll and see which way you guys would like to proceed. Either way will not really impact guild rank or guild standing. But it would have an impact on our out-of-game community, which is also important.

One more thing: could everyone confirm that they have the ability to delete and re-cast their vote? This was one of my pet peeves in vBulletin so I'm hoping it is working for you all here.

Confirming deletion and recast ability, good sir!

Also, I am skeptical of post count rank stuff, granted it's fun and I post a lot and would be the highest rank in like, a week, but that's not the point. If it was just associated with amusing icons or titles like "Forum Junky" then that would be fine, but I don't think it should be formal.

I voted no for the post-count titles, but I'd really be ok with them. Just as Disco said, as long as it's just silly or amusing; but I'm not really worried that we would ever make it any other way. ;)

For the actual guild rank, badges/military would be fun, I think.

Guild rank should be shown by pictures of beards, as shown in the 'trustworthiness by beard type' pic here: http://darkerview.com/darkview/index.php?/archives/1692-Trustworthy-Beards.html That's my idea and I'm sticking to it.

Actually, I just wanted to make sure there was a vote in the 'other' category.

I second your brilliant idea, good sir. It could start off with a moustache, and then go to a goatee and then a beard!