Nitefyr - 521 Fire Mage

Nitefyr

South of Heaven,

My name is Esteban. I play a Fire Mage named Nitefyr. I am 23 years old. I got married on July 14, 2012 to the woman of my dreams. We've been together for eight years and she has been my everything. I was in the National Guard for four years and with 12 months on deployment. I was medically discharged in August of 2012 after two knee surgeries prevented me from returning to my unit.

I picked up World of Warcraft as a way to kill time inbetween class in 2008 just before the release of Wrath of the Lich King. I started raiding casually in Naxxramas 2.0, clearing content after just six weeks of raiding. I took time off between Naxx and ToC to go through basic training, A.I.T and the last four months of my unit's deployment in Kuwait/Iraq. When I came back my guild had pretty much faded away so I looked for something more exciting. I joined Severed Ties on Dragonblight after the first week of ICC. This was my first actual "hardcore raiding" experience. After that I just wanted a more and more challenging raiding environment so over the course off Cataclysm I was in several different guilds with each on higher ranked than the last.

By the end of Dragon Soul progression, I had put in more raid hours that work. Due to that, I had gone through three jobs and been fired from two of them. From October 2011 until August 2012, I was broke and unemployed. I resorted to donating plasma to pay for my gas and WoW subscription. With my wife finishing her undergraduate degree in December 2011, I was still living in my mothers basement. It wasn't until April of 2012 that the realization hit me, I'm getting married in three months and don't know how i'm going to live.

I took time off from WoW between May and August to get married and grow up. It was a great thing I did too. I grew from an immature kid to an adult. I am now married, just got promoted to Store Manager, and am able to play this game. The hours for raiding that I've come into just cut too much into time for my wife. Between 60+ hours at work and almost 20+ hours raiding, I spend more nights on the couch than I do in my own bed.

I'm looking at South of Heaven as a place to "hang my hat" for the rest of my WoW carrier. Apart from the awesome three day schedule and progression, I've done some searching and what I've found is amazing. Not many guilds nowadays has a history going back to 2004. I love a guild where not only the casuals are active outside of raid hours but the raiders are as well. I love being able to log in and find something to do with other guild mates.

I have been around and seen end-game raiding at it's best. I know what it takes to and how to do well. I bring a lot of experience to any group I'm in. I have a great personality and, as you can see from my post, a lot rich history. I will be as valuable a raider as I am a friend to have.

Below is my TLDR:

Armory: http://us.battle.net...itefyr/advanced

Alt's Armory: http://us.battle.net...eprysm/advanced

Guild History: http://www.wowtrack....haracter/330703

*Much easier than typing it all out.

Raid History:

Tier 10: 11/12 Heroic @ 25%

Tier 11: 11/13 Heroic while current without Al'Akir and Council

Tier 12: 7/7 Heroic on 10/04/11

Tier 13: 8/8 Heroic with Pre-nerf Spine of Deathwing and Glory Achievement on 02/15/2012

Tier 14: 16/16 Heroic

Tier 15: 7/13 Heroic, Guild currently at 10/13 Heroic but I can't raid Sunday's which is when we usually kill progression bosses.

Personal Feats:

Realm First! Sinestra, Nefarian, and Deathwing.

World of Logs:

My current guild keeps them private but I can get LFR logs if you would like them.

In-game References:

Phiani - Capitol Vice - Eredar

Wari - Warfare - Blackhand

UI Screenshot:

5sVxe7E.jpg

Addon List:

ElvUI

Quartz

Bigwigs

ExtraCD

Omen

Recount

Weak Auras

MiksScrollingBattleText

Combustionhelper

Contact Info:

Email: bergman_esteban@yahoo.com

BattleTag: Nite#1769

Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerly,

Esteban (Nitefyr)

Hello Nite,

Thanks for giving us a nice introduction. I appreciate your candor in sharing your past life lessons. Do you feel like you're able to keep your raiding in harmony with the rest of your life now, or is there still tension there?

Could you clarify for me how much of the raid experience you listed is on your mage?

To be honest, I liked the tone of your app and was ready to offer you a trial right away. But looking at your epeen for 25m heroics:

http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/kel%27thuzad/nitefyr/

It seems like your performance has been quite poor, frankly. Can you explain why these rankings are consistently so low? I particularly troubled by how low your jin'rohk numbers are, considering you must have had quite a bit of practice on that fight by now.

Shekj, can you please look over his logs for that fight and give your appraisal?

Although i hate looking at LFR logs since they are not a real raiding situation or even comparable to H raiding ill take a look.

On Jin'rokh uptime of NT is only 77% on LFR difficulty. I do not expect 100% because as a fire mage a instant Pyro>reapplying NT but 77% is way to low for LFR when you are able to just tunnel the whole fight. NT uptime on other bosses as well also look low.

Imo temporal ripples sucks and so does Flameglow. I havent read anything that indicates these being better than ice barrier, with ice barrier i can absorb 300-400k damage during a time of heavy raid damage, temporal ripples is off the gcd but the healing you get from it isnt that good because it may just be overhealing. Ice barrier absorb is never wasted.

I dont have time to look at much more but those are a few concerns.

Looking at the heroic Jinrohk kill NT uptime is at 73%, this is very low mine for this week is 88% and i feel like i did a poor job. You only had 261 ticks in 4:39 and i had 290 in 4:19 but i am also at the 3rd xtra tick from haste whereas you are at the 2nd. Still with the UI that you posted i dont see how you could lose track of your 1 dot that you have control of. You are missing out on a lot of dps due to this.

Also i have 3 combustions in 4:19 and you had 2 in 4:39. Did you have to delay your combustions due to poor crits or did u lose track of your cooldowns? Also the same thing with alter time and PoM. I had 2 alter times which led to my 5 PoMs whereas you had just 1 alter time and only 3 PoM. Also you did not use mirror images at all, our biggest DPET cd. Unless this log is a night where you had an off night it looks like you are not very good at managing your cooldowns to maximize your dps in a heroic raid fight.

I'll start with Ashin's post first. Right now there is a little tension, mostly between my wife and I over how much time I am spending in game. Four nights was always fine with her as long as we got done fairly on time. The biggest issue right now is that my current guild has pushed up the schedule to five nights and is starting earlier and ending nearly an hour later. Otherwise, I really don't have any other problems.

All of my raiding experience is on my mage. It's been my main from the time I started.

To be honest, up until this last week or two, i've had a 516 ilvl, barely with most of it being upgraded from last tier. Poor performance on the heroic logs that got post, are my first time in on those fights. It's quite different from reading a strat on paper and performing it. Unfortunately, trying to do things right and not screw up mechanics are more important to me than just pure dps. Due to me having joined Intent just two weeks before the tier started, I didn't and still haven't seen much raid time due to already having three mages and me being the fourth. Most of the bosses this tier I have one or two kills on. Torotos and Horridon are the only ones I have four kills for. Horridon, I spend more time trying to get that pink dino away from me because for whatever reason, I hit it it only jumps like 10yds, others can send it half way across the room and have no problems. Tortos, I my job is strictly on whirl turtles than boss after all three are down. If you look at any of the previous tiers, I did pretty well on performance.

And that is my fault, our logs have always been private so I didn't know that the ones from last month were available. Only those that are in the guild on WoL had access to them. So I could see them but didn't know anyone else could.

I can't tell you why NT is low, maybe I just forgot to refresh it but I've never really had a problem with it. The only time I can't reapply it on Jin'rokh is because with our strat when you get focused lightning of Ionization is about to fall off, we have to run against the walls by the grates which puts my out of range.

For Ice Barrier and Temporal Shield, I just like Temporal Shield better. I'm not sure where you get 300-400k absorb from ice barrier because mine are barely above 150k.

As far as CD usage goes, for our strat, we wait until the first pool is up before we pop any cds. So if you are using yours on the pull, you're going to get more than I will for waiting. Mirror image is used on pull and on cd after that. So if the log didn't catch it, I don't know what to say.

If you have any other questions, I'll be around most of today and will check back in a few hours. Thanks for your time.

I also use my cds when the first pool spawns so i still dont see why there is a gap in cd useage when you had a longer fight.

Having low uptime on NT is a problem, i also get out of range at some times with our strat. 73% is just low and is poor playing, you are not just losing the damage from the dot but you are also losing damage on your FB, pyro and inferno blast due to pyromaniac not being applied.

A lot of raid encounters have bursts of high raid damage and the raid damage leading up to it is either random or from standing in shit. Ice barrier is 25s cd and lasts for 1 min, this means you can use an ice barrier 30s before the aoe and then as the aoe is in progress the cd will be up again and ready for use resulting in 300-400k absorbs (scales with sp) vs a cd that for the most part only over heals you (jinrokh yours was 63% overhealing). An example of this is rampage on magera.

Also if your on whirl turtle duty on H tortos, why arent you spreading combustion to the turtles like the other fire mage in your raid?

Edited by Shekjey

I don't know why you have more Combustions than I do. Could have been poor ignite or trinket procs and not wanting to waste it for poor damage. I don't honestly know since the logs that we are looking at are from a couple weeks ago.

As far as spreading Combustion on the turtles goes, either he had a good ignite right away or he just blew it and spread it. He probably had a better position to switch right away as well. I get on them as soon as they are in range. I dot them all with NT than focus down them down in order like i'm supposed to do.