Vaelak - 524 Fire Mage

Pyroth

I'm not really sure how romantic I can be but I do listen to Slayer and South of Heaven is one of my favorite albums... RIP Jeff.

About My History:

I've been an online gamer since 1994 where I started in a little game called Airwarrior. In 1997 Ultima Online came out and changed my life. I enjoyed a prosperous life of raping and pillaging for a couple of years there.Then In 1999 another life changing event happened...Everquest came out. I rolled on Karana server (later split off onto Terris-Thule) and was an addict for several years. I may know a couple of you from those days but I'm not sure who's still in SoH. I was Blackkened (Erudite Necro) and Pyroth there. Halfway through EQ I moved onto DAOC and did a lot of RVR and such. Then came WoW. In Vanilla I killed everything up to Naxx when it was current content. The guild I was in started crumbling when Naxx dropped and we never got to experience it. I was a High Warlord on my Hunter and enjoyed a lot of World PVP back then. In Burning Crusades I lead a guild that got everything down before Hyjal dropped. I experienced massive burnout from leading both the guild and the raids and a new job which caused me to quit WoW and online gaming for awhile. I came back midway through WOTLK and joined a friend's guild that was pretty casual. He was actually in SoH at one time... Dave/Glyff/Delbin etc. We got down all of NAXX and Ulduar and ICC Normal before guild drama started happening. After we got down a couple of heroics I decided I'd had enough and quit WoW again. I went to Everquest 2 to finally give it a spin where I joined the Chapter of South of Heaven there for a bit. After awhile I decided EQ2 just wasn't for me and moved on. I bounced many games for awhile, Everything from Age of Conan to Warhammer Online to Aion etc. In 2011 my real life friend talked me back into returning to WoW and I joined the guild I'm currently in. We cleared Blackwing Descent and Bastion of Twilight and such at that time. But it was a pretty casual guild. I changed careers midway through 2011 and I gave up my raid slot because I was working shift work and could only make half the raids. My career issues resolved and I tried to rejoin the raid for Heroic Dragonsoul but they deemed my gear too far behind and didn't want to go back through normal which was understandable. So when MOP Dropped, I re-acquired my raid slot and have been raiding with them since. We've cleared all of MOP Raids and currently are 3/12 Heroic ToT 10 man. I cleared Mogu'shan and Heart of Fear as an elemental shaman. After our 2 Mages quit the guild, I switched to Mage because we didn't have any and have been Mage since.

About me:

I'm 34 and work as a NERC Certified System Operator...which just means that I get to play with High Voltage electricity above 100KV all day. I basically remotely operate equipment in substations. It's a fun job and I just wish I had the ability to only cut a few select individuals lights out when I wanted to...

At first glance, it would seem that I hop around and quit games a lot but it's really not the case. I'm actually a super loyal and dedicated person. That loyalty though only goes so far and when it isn't reciprocated it tends to fade on my end. I've been in mostly casual guilds since Burning Crusades because I just didn't have the playtime to dedicate to a progression guild anymore. The reason I am looking to leave my current guild is a long story but I will sum up. They have no desire to raid 25 mans again. I miss the 25 man environment. We currently run two 10 mans, the original founding members Clique in one group and the rest of us in the other. 6 officers in their group..1 in ours to paint the picture. They set us up to fail and we still have been clearing content faster than the "main" group. They resorted to taking our healer on our off day into their group to show them our strats. We've basically struggled through with 1 good healer and one fail healer while the other group has the 3 best healers in the guild and are still behind lol. There's a lot of little stuff like that that just makes me ready to move on and get away from all of the foolishness. I also miss the camaraderie of a good guild...their guild chat is a barren wasteland.

I'm a pretty performance driven individual. I always strive to do my absolute best in every single encounter. I'm always open to suggestions and will implement them for improvement and I feel that as I sit i'm at a minimum a 95 percentile DPS'er when I have my gearing sorted out. I'm also that guy that always watches videos on every encounter before we get to it, usually weeks beforehand when applicable to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Why do I want to join South of Heaven?

Everything about this guild from what I can see is exactly what I've been looking for for years. From the raid times,to the raid days to the mission statement. In the past I've stayed in some pretty horrific guilds just because of loyalty to my buddies. At the moment none of those ties exist so I'm looking to join a more progression oriented guild and get back into serious raiding as I have a deep longing for it.

About my Mage - I just made the permanent swap to fire right before our last raid so my gear isn't completely optimal for it just yet. (I had the crappy valor trinket and such on this parse as well as my crap offhand and ring which I'm still trying to lose). I just got the LFR Wooshulay today. As of today I'm comfortable playing any of the three specs. I haven't raided this week to give you a better fire parse since 2 of our group gquit and the group isn't raiding. I've only got 1 real week in as fire with my current setup.

Link to my Mage: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dragonblight/Vaelak/advanced

Logs:

http://www.worldoflo.../?s=6812&e=7255

http://www.worldoflo.../?s=7461&e=7864

http://www.worldoflo.../?s=1898&e=2261

On a side note I'm the kicker on Tortos so my dps is usually low on that.

So to sum up, I'm interested in becoming a part of SoH and to help push toward full clearing this tier and many more tiers to come. I thank you for my consideration into your guild.

*Edit* Cleaned up History section some. I originally typed that up while running on 2 hours of sleep lol.

Edited by Pyroth

Yep. I still keep in touch with Dave. He spends most of his time working nowadays. I saw him messing around in Diablo 3 about a month ago and we were chatting but I haven't seen him since then. He works for a gaming company and is like a lead tester or something and when they get close to a big release he tends to disappear so it's not unusual lol. But he's been doing well for himself. And no worries.

Okay, so coming back to this - the guild you're in now is one that you had been in prior to Mists, or just joined in Mists once your job stuff was sorted out? Speaking of job stuff, how often does your schedule change and how likely is there to be a conflict in the future?

You're leaving them mostly because you don't like 10m or mostly because of this two-team system where one is favored and one is given the shaft?

Can you clarify what is your raiding experience on the mage specifically? What were you playing in Cata?

I'll ask Shek to look over your logs. At a glance (and to me as a somewhat uneducated viewer) they look pretty solid. Regardless, I'm very interested in finding a place for you here, as I feel you're the type of person this guild likes to have around. I do have a special request, tho, which is that you please tell Dave next time you are talking to him that he should stop by here and give us an update of some sort. We need to know!

Please add my btag ashin#1840 so we can also chat in game.

Okay, so coming back to this - the guild you're in now is one that you had been in prior to Mists, or just joined in Mists once your job stuff was sorted out? Speaking of job stuff, how often does your schedule change and how likely is there to be a conflict in the future?

I've been with the guild since 2011 but I quit the game right before Firelands due to work. I returned halfway through Dragonsoul. I never left the guild. My schedule is locked now. It would only change if I quit or got fired...which hopefully neither happen as I'm quite fond of my job.

You're leaving them mostly because you don't like 10m or mostly because of this two-team system where one is favored and one is given the shaft?

Both. I enjoy the 10 main raiding environment when you have 10 reliable people or geared alts in reserve. When you don't, the effects of someone no-showing is more of an issue. And lately, nearly every raid someone no-shows and we don't have alt runs.

Can you clarify what is your raiding experience on the mage specifically? What were you playing in Cata?

I have raided all raids in MOP as Mage. I made the switch to Mage when we were working on clearing Terrace of Endless Springs, but we were still running Mogu'shan vaults and such at the time. I was Arcane spec until ToT and then switched to frost. I was an Elemental shaman in Cata and the beginning of MoP. Prior to that, I've raided ZG, AQ20, MC, SSC & TK as a Mage back in the day.

I'll ask Shek to look over your logs. At a glance (and to me as a somewhat uneducated viewer) they look pretty solid. Regardless, I'm very interested in finding a place for you here, as I feel you're the type of person this guild likes to have around. I do have a special request, tho, which is that you please tell Dave next time you are talking to him that he should stop by here and give us an update of some sort. We need to know!

Please add my btag ashin#1840 so we can also chat in game.

Thanks. I actually talked to Dave 2 days ago and told him that I name dropped him to you. He told me to tell you "wsup." And just as I figured, he's been in crunch mode for E3. He's working for Ubisoft on the Rocksmith development team. Will tell him to drop by when I talk to him again.

One thing I see with your gemming is the haste hit gem in your helm. It is not allowing you to reach a haste breakpoint so a crit hit gem would result in more dps. Looking at the logs you linked it looks like your uptimes are good and seems like you are using your alter time and pom correctly. On your jinrokh kill you linked it seems as if you may have either missed the cd on pom or misused it during alter time but not that big of a deal. I see you are playing frost in one of the logs but with your item lvl fire would be the better option. Frost performs much lower than fire and even arcane at higher item levels. Its hard to tell how you really play because these logs are of easy farm fights where it is easy to look good. Id rather look at logs from a night of 30 progression wipes, this way I can see if defensive cooldowns are being used correctly.

One thing I see with your gemming is the haste hit gem in your helm. It is not allowing you to reach a haste breakpoint so a crit hit gem would result in more dps. Looking at the logs you linked it looks like your uptimes are good and seems like you are using your alter time and pom correctly. On your jinrokh kill you linked it seems as if you may have either missed the cd on pom or misused it during alter time but not that big of a deal. I see you are playing frost in one of the logs but with your item lvl fire would be the better option. Frost performs much lower than fire and even arcane at higher item levels. Its hard to tell how you really play because these logs are of easy farm fights where it is easy to look good. Id rather look at logs from a night of 30 progression wipes, this way I can see if defensive cooldowns are being used correctly.

I just recently changed to Fire. The frost log is an older one. Until my recent gear upgrades, I kept parsing higher as frost. I tried fire here and there always came back to frost. It wasn't until these few logs that I made the permanent switch.

As for the gem, I'm hard capping for the 5036 combustion haste breakpoint and then stacking mastery after. The haste gem worked out to be the most efficient means to reach as close to 5036. It will likely change again once I get another piece of gear. If I switched it out to crit, I'd dip under 5036 or end up with more haste than I have now...unless I overlooked something.

Okay we'll look forward to wipe-a-thon logs if you can provide some. I'm hoping we can also connect some time over the weekend, altho I have an exam this weekend and may be scarce. What's your typical play schedule like on weekends?

Also, I just want to explain our general situation right now. First, we only have one mage, so we're definitely interested in finding another one. That said, we are in the home stretch of our ToT progression and will likely be extending the current raid lockout until lei shen dies. It would be a very difficult time to take a new trial and our roster is somewhat static until then. We'd happily take a trial afterwards and hopefully that will allow time for a few weeks of farming. But I just wanted to clarify this point - I understand if you need to find a guild ASAP but in that case we may not be able to assist you.