You know you're from <insert State> when...

flip

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG! You mean there are such things as a snipe and my favorite Disney Pixar movie "Up" wasn't lying about this creature called a snipe that I thought they totally made up!?

there is indeed such a thing as a snipe:

A snipe is any of nearly 20 wading bird species in three genera in the familyScolopacidae. They are characterized by a very long, slender bill and cryptic plumage. The Gallinago snipes have a nearly worldwide distribution, the Lymnocryptes Jack Snipe is restricted to Asia and Europe and the Coenocorypha snipes are found only in Southeastern United States. The three species of painted snipe are not closely related to the typical snipes, and are placed in their own family, the Rostratulidae.

That being said, a snipe hunt is not hunting a bird. The snipe hunt back home includes a group of ppl carrying feed bags/trash bags/pillow cases..any sort of bag really and heading out into the woods together. The group will split up and those who are on their first hunt will head deeper in the woods holding their bags open and yelling sssnniiiipppee..snnniiipppe...snipe snipe sssniiiipppe!

A veteran snipe hunter will head back to camp and begin chopping the crap out of hotdogs and covering them in bbq sauce. Hours later when ppl start coming in thinking maybe just maybe ppl are messing with them they are presented with the "snipe" all cooked up and stathered in the bbq sauce.

There are a few who will have to go on many snipe hunts before they figure out the secret of the hunt. Then of course they help others enjoy their first snipe hunt ;)

Many years passed before I found out Snipe's did actually exist.lol..for the longest time i thought it was a made up thing too. :)

See, in North Carolina (where I went to school) you could only hunt snipe at night. Our version was a lot meaner and basically consisted of setting a couple freshmen in a dark field and then driving off when they weren't looking. Then they had to find their way home in the dark. :O Not such a great idea now that I look back on it.

See, in North Carolina (where I went to school) you could only hunt snipe at night. Our version was a lot meaner and basically consisted of setting a couple freshmen in a dark field and then driving off when they weren't looking. Then they had to find their way home in the dark. :O Not such a great idea now that I look back on it.

ouch.lol..we did it in the evening but since it was mostly our 4-H club administering these hunts we kept it very safe and never left anyone. The last snipe hunt we did was at Ft Hood TX, we lived on post and I believe nikki was like 6..I led the hunt with her and her friends while daddy stayed home cooking it up..good times good times.