Murfle - Shadow/Disc Priest

Murf

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Murf, I would be curious to see if you would be willing to try running some LFR with me so that I can get a sense of your playstyle and to see how things end up working out. It would also save me the trouble of wondering what the group you're with was doing and not knowing if that negatively affected your numbers/uptimes. Let me know if you are interested, if not I will just return to my original plan of looking through the logs you have provided!

How do you prep for raids? New content? New progression boss for the night?

Also, cake or pie?

I prep by making sure I have plenty of flasks, food, pots and tomes. I read and watch strat guides if it's a fight I'm not familiar with. I also go to howtopriest.com if I have any concerns regarding certain fights. Cake or pie? Pie. It can have so many delicious fillings.

I also like your name. ^^ What are you going to study in school?

I'll be studying Computer Science.

As for my logs, that was a pug and the first time I had played with those people. There were multiple times where I had to stop attacking due to aggro issues. There were also times where I was concerned about healing. I'd be up for an LFR. Murf#1748.

Yayyy another one for team Comp Sci! I'm doing my PhD in natural language processing. ^^ We've got a lot IT people and programmers in guild.

Twelve, let me know when you're going - I can healer queue you guys in. ;)

Edited by Midri

Hey Murf,

It looks like you did a respectable job keeping up with Twelve in LFR. When I drill down on uptimes, though, I see a pretty noticable difference between the two of you. So I'm still a little concerned there.

Changing topics - I got the sense after speaking with you that you've sort of alternated between progression tiers and casual tiers. I made me wonder whether next tier was going to be casual for you since you seem to be aiming for some progress this tier. Could you talk a bit about your current goals and so on?

Thank you.

I was also curious about how social you are, I noticed that during the LFR you didn't talk much, which I can understand, I was pretty quiet when I first joined the guild as well, but I was just wondering if it was simply because you didn't know us very well, were trying to stay focused on the boss fights rather than chatting casually (which probably isn't a bad thing in reality), or are just a quiet person in general. I am gonna be editing this post later to add in thoughts about the LFR and get down to the details.

Edit: As far as the uptime comparisons go, our tanks didn't exactly pull very... professionally, so instead of looking at straight percentages I will be comparing to my uptimes instead of the ideal 98-99% range.

Analysis:

Stone Guard - The stone guard parse raises some questions, it seems like targets were getting switched between randomly, and after the first minute or so one of the dogs was ignored entirely, and DoT's were inconsistent on the other two that were still being targeted. I know that Stone Guard for an spriest is one in which you can become easily overwhelmed by the number of procs you are getting, while trying to manage your DoT's on three different targets at once, but that is something that we have to deal with. If you could share your thoughts on that particular fight that would be great, especially since your uptimes on your kill in 10man MSV were better and that fight in that run seemed to go better in general.

Feng - The Feng fight looked pretty good, you got started about 4 seconds after the pull it looked like, another one of those interesting tank pulls, but after that things looked good for uptime, looks like VT fell off a few times during the early parts of the fight, most likely due to epicenter, but many mechanics will come up that will prevent you from refreshing at ideal times so paying attention to mechanic timers and refreshing accordingly is something that will need to be worked on, although I admit I got caught off guard during epicenter as well since I was expecting a nullifying barrier to prevent that problem, but it never came. I don't see anything that is glaring at me about that fight though, although I usually prefer ToF over DI on that fight, although I have seen both used successfully, I just dislike the RNG that DI relies on. It also looks like there could have been more time spent channeling MF, in order to squeeze out more damage. Overall, it looked good, work on the uptimes, especially predicting and refreshing before mechanics, and try to squeeze in more MF.

Gara'jal - Nothing really to report here, uptimes looked good, could've been a little bit higher, I was about .5% ahead of you it looked like, although I did die, but I don't think my DoT's fell off when I was dead since I got b-rezzed pretty quickly. So everything was looking great for this fight, although I definitely do not recommend DI for this fight, I know you were trying to work out our mumble and the tanks were pulling strangely so I'm not sure if you perhaps didn't get a chance to change talents or if it was for some other reason, but in the future I would recommend ToF.

Vizier - This is another one of those fights where if you aren't prepared and are caught off-guard by a boss mechanic, in this case MC, Attenuate, or change of platform, your DoT uptimes will suffer tremendously. That being said, my uptimes were 98.2 for SWP and 95.1 for VT, while you were around 93 for SWP and 91.5 for VT. Considering how much time I have spent on this particular fight in the past few weeks I probably should've been even higher than that, but when I was first doing these fights my numbers were on the lower end of the 90's as well. I would also recommend a different set of talents for this fight, I usually run FDCL, ToF and DS, although I think I forgot to switch out into DS during the LFR. DI is good for this fight on Heroic, but I have seen better results sticking with ToF for normal. Good MF uptime on this boss. Other than the issues surrounding predicting the boss movements and keeping your DoT's up during those transitions this fight was pretty decent overall.

Blade Lord - Once again, another fight where mechanics will severely reduce your uptime if you aren't refreshing at the right time. Unseen strike, the phase change at 20%, and the platform switch at 10% (also the blade tempest on heroic) are all things that can devastate your uptime. I noticed you went MB and DI for this fight, which is the spec I run in heroic, in normal mode I tend to favor FDCL and ToF but they both work. DoT times on this fight were on the low side, but not tooooo bad. If you don't refresh before the 20% mark hits, you will probably have a hard time breaking 90% unless you can get across the map very quickly. So just another fight to keep in mind where you need to be aware of when the boss will become untargettable, if I sound like a broken record at this point, there is a reason for that, this is super important. Other than that, boss fight looked good, but on heroic there will be even more things to test your uptimes and you will be on the move a lot more.

Garalon - Another pull that was really messed up, and things were really ugly right off the bat. The straight up DPS comparison on this fight between us is hard to make, since you followed the strategy of focusing mainly on the boss (which is what most ranged seem to do when doing this fight normally), and I, since it was LFR, ran around being silly and nuking the legs while in the zones, so obviously with me doing double damage for a significant portion of the fight whereas you were doing the normal strategy, our dps differed greatly. One thing I would recommend right off the bat though, is that even if you are focusing the boss, make sure to DoT all the legs that do come up, getting your procs on this fight is important. I believe we talked about the talent choices for this fight, and I know what you were using was far from ideal, but if I remember correctly that was due to the tank pulling incredibly early and you not having a chance to switch, correct me if I am wrong however. For Garalon we always want FDCL and ToF. Uptimes on this fight were good considering the whacky start. You had a good amount of SW:D's which is good to see, sniping those low health legs is very important for our DPS on this fight. All things considered, with the bad start, being unable to switch talents, and the different approaches to this fight, it was hard to make a real comparison between us, but for what you did, it seemed that you did it well, so no real complaints for this fight. Though I would be curious to see how you do with the proper set up.

Edited by Twelvesoft

Remember for Gara'jal you can't see the combat log of people in the spirit world and vice versa, unless you were the one recording it. Murfle was logging so her information is accurate, if you're looking at Ashin's upload Twelve then yours probably won't be.