Hello SoH from Spiritsaver

When it's not hunting season I love to go find a dear stand out in our woods and grab a good book to read. It's wonderful and if I'm lucky I'll get to see some wild life wonder up. Of course living in the woods does have a few down sides. I have found many snakes in the house. But, I pretty much a country girl and can wrangle them myself. I have a family of dear that roam in front of my house every morning. Since dear run the same track daily. A ton of lizards and one lynx that shows up from time to time to eat the cat food. He's been coming around for about 8 years now and we are quiet use to one another. I've never petted him but, he will allow me to get in about 3 feet distance of him now.

Also, I grew up on Lake Norman (Largest man made lake) so I use to ski on the weekends myself. I miss the lake terribly. Love to fish too, but my hubby hates fishing. That new Kid Rock song "All Summer Long" reminds me of home LOL.

Spirit

Spirit

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have alot of bunnies at my house too. Ever since my dog died this past july we have them in abundance.

Once in the middle of winter when there was a full blanket of show on the ground and when all is usually silent in the middle of the night. I herd heavy stompping. Going to my kitchen door window to look out on our back yard

there were four white horses. They looked so magical out in the snow. I ran a woke up my hubby to see them. We never knew where they came from the next morning they were gone.

My mom lives in Bucks County Pennsylvania on a couple of acres of woodland.... it's not as country as what you're describing but it's far removed from any city. There's a trail leading to a Koi pond with a little bench and fountain set up where I drink my coffee every morning. More often than not I'll see a family of deer come through, and they actually get pretty close to me if I don't move much. The last time was this summer with my gf and there were two baby bambis in the bunch, and we also saw a three-legged deer cross the road in front of us with it's group. Sad, but it seemed to be managing well and the others waited for it. I don't think they'll be as patient when wolves/coyotes are around, though.

Tons of garter snakes (some HUGE) live there, preferring clumps of pachysandra under trees and popping out when you inadvertently walk too close to them. Lots of cute little moles too... probably why the snakes are there =) Annnd I can't forget the hawks, that are really majestic when seen up close.