Character Names

Atrael

Something I love about MMO's is the names people come up with, and I thought it would be cool to see where the members of SoH come up with their titles/monikers and alter-egos. Some of the ones I have spent more time on:

Acieslumen (Elyos Sin) Hybrid of Lumen meaning "light" and Acies meaning "Edge", both from latin. Hopefully meaning Light's Edge or Edge of Light. (Pronounced Ah-keys-lu-men, though many called me A-seas)

Atrael (Asmo Glad) Atra is latin for "dark", ael is a modifier meaning "one", so Atrael means "Dark One" (roughly). It is pronounced At-try-el.

My Sorc was named Umezawa, from the Magic the Gathering card Umezawa's Jitte. Yes I played, not anymore though. Was a "regional" tournament player.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happen to have an unlimited black lotus in NM condition, I'm very attached to it. I also once believed I was purchasing a copy of the ultra-rare Splendid Genesis (the second rarest magic card behind metal fork) for $1200 dollars only to be scammed. Thank god for Amex! (Going price for one then was 4K++, so I should have been more concerned, but as with most people, I rationalized away the red flag as someone who wanted to sell quickly or that the market was too small for a true "list price" buyer)

Whew that was before me, I only read about decks like that. My favorite deck was actually not a very strong/synergetic deck and it was U/G Champions/Ravnica arc. Vinelasher kudzu, sakura and counters. Turn 2 was always a bit awkward deciding between mana accel or disruption, but I won a lot of Friday Night Magic's with that deck. Ghaziglare was pure genius to me, love that. Greatergifts was a fun variant of a gifts deck, though a little to johnny to be a good tourney deck. Lots of memories!

Edited by Atrael

I too played old table top D&D and M:TG in the mid 1990s. Eryalin is just a name. No special meanings. I was trying to put something together while loading up Aion the first day we got it. I hate when people call me "Airy Allen". Despise it. It is "Eh-rya-len" I'm happy with Ah-rye-ah-lin, EE-rye-ah-len, Ah-rya-lin, or any of the minor variations in dialect. Just not Ery-Allen. :p

My alts are Aeryalin (see the A added at the beginning?) and Eraelyn and Eraelynn, which hasn't been created yet, but I'm being proactive there. Maybe it'll be a Sin if I get back to playing more frequently. I am also okay with just being called "Ery" Eh-ri for short. :)

I came up with Lapisluna when I was leveling a draenei shaman back in the day. At the time I was raiding with my mage and just knew I wouldn't have time to play her so I named her lapis for lapis lazuli, a blue stone and luna, moon. I joked I would only get to play her once in a blue moon. Ironically she ended up being my main because few folks in the guild wanted to level another character and I thought shamans would be a useful class ( I was Alli at the time ). So I had to speed level her to get her ready for raiding.

Seckmet is a misspelling of Sekhmet, who is Sekhmet?

I thought it the perfect name for a White Lion in Warhammer and then in AION I thought it was cool for my gladiator and now my paladin in WOW.

Well mine are pretty simple..

Orian - Was based of the constellation/Greek hero of the hunt with a spelling alteration.

Buda - Easy enough. I am buddhist, but I am nothing close to a Buddha. So this is spelled different to reflect that.

Vires - Vires is plural for Vis (which an NPC called dibs on that name). Vis means power/strength. Though I have also seen it translated as Opinion... I am not fluent in latin, but both defs worked for me.

Kedi - My old, now gone, glad's name is Turkish for Cat and a nickname my old roommate used to go by.

Ongbak - My assassin is named after the movie..cause it kicked ass.

Slurpee - My templar needed a quick name after mergers. I had a slurpee in my hand.

Voegele - My sorc is named after the singer Kate Voegele. I have a weak spot for singers and this girl is crazy hot.

Vice - An elyos on another server.. Named after exactly what it says.

Taber - I used to have a SM named after the author of one of my medical dictionaries. He is also gone.

Edited by Orian