[EVE] Sindrisai Myr intro

SindriAndBale

Hey all, posted in r/evejobs a few days back and was directed to the recruiting post and it all sounded good.  I'm returning to EVE again, seriously this is like the third or fourth time, and would like to get into the fun part of the game.  Y'know, finding other people's cool spaceships and blowing them to sparkly pixelated dust clouds.  I have some experience with the PvP, most of it being accidental, and have a fairly solid grasp on the core mechanics of the game, but nullsec and large scale alliance warfare are still relatively alien to me.  Part of the reason your corp/guild caught my eye is the emphasis on the comparatively small yet tight-knit nature, which is something I definitely appreciate, as I have discovered in my long time with online gaming because it means people are pretty relaxed and can still get stuff done without a lot of nonsense or drama. 

As for me, I'm an average university student working on getting a bachelor's in History, and spending downtime reading either historical non-fiction or chewing through cheesy Warhammer 40,000 novels and playing video games.  I'm a massive sucker for spaceships, and my other favorite ship game has been ELITE: Dangerous, and Rebel Galaxy with its blaring blues music has been excellent as well.  I've played far too many different MMO's, most notable being WoW/GW2/TERA/FF14, though all have since lost a bit of their lustre.  In terms of other PvP games, I've put quite a few hours into games like World of Tanks, War Thunder, Armored Warfare, and I used to play League of Legends with a group of friends until I got sick of the considerable toxicity in the playerbase.  Also there is Dark Souls, which I adore, and earnestly look forward to the insane invasion hijinks coming in Dark Souls 3.  WW2 games have been another favorite of mine, as that's also my favorite period of history to study, though unfortunately they seem to suffer from either incompetent developers and poor updates, or publishers meddling with the game (Looking at you, Company of Heroes 2).

Looking forward to hopefully talking with you guys further, and feel free to ask questions!

Hello Sindri,

First, thanks for your patience and persistence!  We keep missing each other like proverbial ships in the night.  So I'm glad you decided to jump start the conversation here.

I was curious about ELITE:Dangerous, but realistically I don't have time for multiple games (especially multiple online games!), so I've stayed away from it.  Is it good?  I was trying to get a sense for how much depth there is in that game (relative to EVE, for example).

We actually approached null-sec a year ago with a mindset similar to what you described.  We had each played 2 or 3 times in the past, once together (but in a super casual way).  This time we decided to systematically try different areas of the game as a group until something really caught us.  We lazily ran missions in hi-sec while attempting micro-gang roams into nearby null space.  We lived out of a wormhole for a month whilst being hell-camped by two sociopaths (I think literally).  And then we decided to try out life in null.

That was what stuck, so over the past 6-9 months we made a commitment to grow the corp as a null-sec entity.  I'm not promising you will have the same experience, but I hope you will!  Whether its the lucrative ratting or mining, the epic fleet clashes or the political intrigue, null has a lot to offer.

Could we get a sense of your skillpoints - how many and where have you focused so far?

Funny how apt the ships in the night metaphor is, considering.  And don't get me wrong, PvP isn't the only thing that I care about, but it's the one thing I've largely avoided, and it's started bugging me.  Skillpoints-wise I'm sitting at 7.8mil, and my skills are dedicated largely towards armor tanking, drones, and hybrid weapons.  So basically the Gallente trio.  I branched out a bit into the Amarr side and flew a Prophecy for a while, but mostly I've been flying battlecruisers and battleships.  Also focused into Engineering a lot as well to eke as much performance as possible.

ELITE is a fun game, but it suffers from a similar problem as many open world games do: A very wide and shallow pool.  It's main strength is in the ship dogfighting and ship upgrading, which are both excellent, and the new expansion allows for landing on airless moons and planets to drive around on in a buggy, but outside of that there isn't much to do.  It's slowly getting better, but a little too slow to be honest.  It doesn't even have global, let alone group chat yet!

Scandalous moments?  Yknow there isn't much that comes to mind other than a singular instance years ago playing WoW, I was in a guild with a couple friends for a while and it was all good.  Till one day the guild leader's girlfriend shows up, and immediately gets promoted to assistant guild leader.  Can you see what's coming?  Sure enough, she started going on a powertrip and tried to control what the rest of the guild did, including promoting her friend to a high-ranking officer position.  Good ol' nepotism.  With the utter refusal of the guild leader to address this issue, my friend started speaking up and calling this girl out for the constant power abuses, so she booted him.  Later the next night, our other friend who was a high ranking officer promoted me, re-invited the other friend and promoted him, and we systematically booted everyone we were able to, then left.  It seems petty now, but the guild was pretty much rotten from the top at that point.

Outside of video games, I want to finish getting my degree and possibly go for a PhD, and then move into a field relative to my historical interests, so stuff like archival work, research, or even teaching.  I think if I can even be half as awesome as the professor I took most of my history classes from at junior college, I'd do pretty well at teaching.  I'd also like to eventually get started writing a science fiction novel, the story for which I've had in my head for a good five or six years.  There's not many things I swear I'll never tell anyone, and it's not gonna be that easy.  At most, I have some (seemingly) outspoken opinions on games, but that's about it.

This just in - girls ruin games!  I love WoW sex power trip terrible female stories.

Is your focus on a certain era or country? 

Perhaps you'd like to reconsider from writing a scifi novel to a historical romance novel?  There is a rabid fan base and the potential for millions, provided you adhere to basic tropes and throw in a topless guy in a kilt.  You also need to be able to churn out a few books per year - it's super simple.

To be fair I've seen plenty of guilds fall apart because officers are too close friends to reign each other in or boot troublemakers. 

Europe and Scandinavia tend to be my favorite places in history, ancient up to modern, particularly the Roman and medieval eras.  I'm going to get into more  asian history though, because I know there's some awesome stuff there that I haven't read up on.  I'm also a fan of nordic sagas, and have several books of Icelandic ones.  Also read the Kalevala, which is something like a Finnish equivalent to the Illiad or the Odyssey, but rather more strange. 

I don't think I could bring myself to tarnish history by writing a poor historical romance novel, and even if it did well I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing my name is tied to such tripe. :p

Hello potential new friend. I'm glad you found our forums!

If you're looking for a place to boost your PvP skills, null sec is really the place to go. With everything in play from bubbles up to capital ships, the full range of combat can happen and you don't have to deal with station docking games or sec status. We've got a wide range of skills in our corp, everything from people first dipping into null up to multiple years of experience.

I've always had history as one of my potential degrees after I retire from the Army. I'm imagining whiling away my later years teaching history to middle schoolers... young enough that they won't beat you up, but old enough that they won't pee themselves. Or I could go to school for a few extra years and become a professor, I suppose.

I've also played GW2, WoT, and CoH2. I took a long break from WoT after getting my E-75 and when I came back a couple years later, too many Call of Duty kiddies were talking shit to each other in chat every match and it turned me off. I play WoWS for my historical FPS-ish nowadays. Have you ever played the Hearts of Iron series? I think I played HoI2 for six months when I first discovered it way back in 2007. I assume you're also a fan of the 'Total War' series? Right? RIGHT!?

As far as the traditional random questions, if you had to design your own family crest, what would you put on it? What do you dip your chicken nuggets in? Have you ever actually eaten tripe?

Honestly I haven't considered teaching lower than junior college or university level, because while it's probably a hell of a lot more work, it also seems (from my point of view) like it'd be more rewarding.  I stopped even reading chat in games like WoT or Armored Warfare, it's just nothing but a big salt pile.  I usually put on some silly music while playing those games and have a grand old time just driving around shooting tanks, Psychostick (comedy metal) is like a godsend for playing games like those.  I haven't looked much into grand strategy like Hearts of Iron, though I do play a lot of 4x games like Civilization (3-5), Endless Space/Endless Legend, and Age of Wonders.  And sadly, I haven't played a Total War game since the original Rome: Total War.  I loved that game, but haven't picked one up since, though I hear Shogun and Medieval are pretty good, and I REALLY hope Total Warhammer is good.

A crest? Maybe the Monty Python foot being bitten by a schnauzer.  I dip nuggets in barbecue sauce of any variety, preferably honey-BBQ.  I have not eaten tripe, and while I'm down to try just about any food, that's not one that's high up on my list of things I need to eat.

You've passed the random question gauntlet handily - well done. Our activity is going to be a bit low for the next week or so due to the holidays, but feel free to hang out in the SOHCO Public channel and chat with whoever is online. As time permits we'll work through the in-game interview, Mumble interview, and API background check. Then you can apply to the corp. :)