Hello, from Parko

Parko

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is typical and the rationale is that it is important to be able to recognize one's opponent on the battlefield. So I don't necessarily disagree with them on that. If the TTK (time to kill) is less than a minute or less than 30 seconds, more likely, then requiring that you be hit by a few moves (AND recognize those moves immediately) before you can even know what you're fighting is unreasonable. It's even more unreasonable in the context of large (20 on 20, 40 on 40) battles.

I get your point, but there are tight restrictions on what you can use for your appearance. You can only reskin items with the appearance of other similar item types. In other words, you can't make your Swordmaster look like an Archmage. What you can do is make one piece of heavy armor look like a different piece of heavy armor. There is no risk of mistaking the class that you're up against.

LOL, that is silly. I do know that dyes, etc., used to fade when you died, so all your gear would have the default look.

Yeah, that still happens. I love the Daft Punk avatar, by the way!

WAR started up a big re-enlistment campaign thingy yesterday: http://www.warhammeronline.com/call_to_arms/re-enlist.php

You get two weeks for free, plus some bonuses and in-game XP/RP buffs.

• 3 months later...

Hello SoH!

I've more or less given up on WAR after the last big patch. So, I've been puttering around in LotRO a bit and over the weekend, I participated in the Beta event for Rift.

Rift seems like it may end up being a pretty cool game. I leveled a few characters up to the Level 5-10 range, just to get a taste for the class system. Anyway, I had a good time and was wondering if any of you folks will be trying it.

See you around,

P

Hello SoH!

I've more or less given up on WAR after the last big patch. So, I've been puttering around in LotRO a bit and over the weekend, I participated in the Beta event for Rift.

Rift seems like it may end up being a pretty cool game. I leveled a few characters up to the Level 5-10 range, just to get a taste for the class system. Anyway, I had a good time and was wondering if any of you folks will be trying it.

See you around,

P

Rift is on my radar. But after spending way to much on WoW, I can't justify pre-ordering it just to see if I like it. It steals my favorite things from just about every MMo. The GCD it stole too, unfortunately :( But all in all, from all the reading and videos I have watched it looks to be my cup of tea. Nothing "New" but a very solid mix of MMo staples packaged together in a very nice graphic engine with lots of bells n whistle.!

The really attractive thing about Rift, for me at least, is the class system. When you create your character, you pick on of the main four archetypes (Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, Mage). Each of these four archetypes support eight different 'souls', which are class specifications. (Tanky Warrior, Anti-magic Warrior, DPS Warrior, etc.)

You pick three of those souls for your build at any particular time and can pick and choose which skills to take from them to combine your own personal build, based on points which are awarded through leveling up.

Now, the nice thing is that you can have access to all eight of the sub-classes at any time and can save four different combinations of them and then switch back and forth as needed. I can set up my rogue to tank with one build, have a different set of souls and skills for PvP, and yet a third for PvE DPS. It's really a great thing. No respec cost either, from what I understand. Once you've purchased and set up the roles, you can switch back and forth as often and freely as you like.

So, in that way, you really only need four characters to have access to every possible combination of skills in the game. You can play your rogue as ranged DPS one day and as a stealther the next. Your Mage can focus on CC on Tuesday and on Wednesday be pure DPS or even backup heals. It's a really novel idea and I'm fired up about it.

As for the rest, yeah, it's nothing ground breaking. Quests are quests. Mobs are mobs. I only dabbled in the PvP, but I was far underleveled and undergeared and just got destroyed repeatedly. I'm sure that there will be essential PvP builds that outperform the rest. Fortunately, you'll always be able to adapt to the flavor of the month by changing your build around a bit and won't have to reroll. :)